Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:57 AM

670 posts, read 1,742,568 times

Advertisements

Fool if you replied to this post. Obvious joke. Oooops.... I'm replying.....
Never Mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 08:30 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
You can either pay a minimum of $800,000 for what you are looking for, make a slight alteration in the house as follows: 1,600 sf house with carport, built in 1970, no pool, no hot tub, 1/4 acre in near the intersection of Red Bug and SR-436 in Casselberry - yep it's near a Gold's Gym, or similar gym anyway. Night life includes Rachel's, Hooters, other local juke joints, etc. Only 12 miles north of Downtown Orlando. If you run your A/C during the 8 summer months, your humidity won't be too bad at all.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happenstance View Post
I need your help!!!

I have been investigating a place to relocate to for about a month now and I think I have finally narrowed down the state I want to live in,lol. Unfortunately, I haven't narrowed the city down yet. I am interested in a place not too far from action, outdoor activities, jet skiing in a small lake, volleyball (the ladies love volleyball ), and basketball. Also, a golds or world gym nearby or something similiar for this wanna be body builder. Also, I want the entertainment and club scene a close second. As far as my home I would like to get the most house for my money (ideally, the scarface mansion would be perfect,lol). A house 4000sq for $300,000 with pool jacuzzi etc,. Although, this may not be feasible I thought I would give you an idea. Hope the weather isn't too humid as well. Some citys that may give me the house space is: Edgewater, Lakeland, Merrit Island, and Melbourne. I have no idea if these places have nightlife and entertainment or even if it's nearby. Please give me some insight as my choices of citys arent limited to the ones mentioned. By the way, I prefer favorable weather, no humidity, 70s year round,lol. I know not realistic but you get the idea

Wow you must be rich if you can afford a $300k house! 4000 square feet(living a/c?) for $300k comes out to $75 a foot. I dont recall seeing any 4k living square feet houses anywhere in FL for $300k, but I can tell you right now you definately wont find cheap housing in the metro FL cities and anywhere in the southern part of FL. Perhaps if you want to wait a few months house prices will drastically drop if hurricane insurance doubles again, but then youll have to buy the house 100% down as insurance wouldnt be affordable anymore!

The FL weather isnt what you are looking for. Im sweating now and its "winter" night, yet its over 80 and humid!

I think youll be much happier living near Atlanta Georgia, its cooler and less humid and house prices arent so insane. You can get a 5000 total square feet(3750 living) house starting at $250k or $50 a total foot, $67 a living foot. Hope this helps

Old 12-16-2006, 09:02 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happenstance View Post
Food and Food Ingredients costs the same if not more in TN Did you forget they're TAXED.
Here's what you're forgetting. That land that supermarket in Tennessee is on costs only a fraction as much as similar land in Florida. The supermarket obviously isn't going to eat that cost. It's part of their overhead, which they pass along to the consumer. Now, it's not going to make a gallon of milk cost $10.00, but it will raise the price slightly. I am from St. Louis, originally, and I can tell you that many supermarket items, in Florida, are about 25% more expensive. Over the course of a year, that adds up to thousands of dollars.

Quote:
Average Sales tax in TN is slightly over 9 % compared to a 7% average.
( that can add quite a bit to many purchases )
Gas, Water, Electric, Phone, Cable, Internet, Cellular Service, cost are nearly identical.
Utilities might be identical, like telephone and electricity, due to their nature. But with gasoline, it depends on the county. Some counties tax the hell out of gasoline (like Collier). Water is not identical, I guarantee you that. Florida is for a rude awakening, soon. Due to geography and urbanization, we're due for a water shortage. Water quality is already relatively, compared to other states.

Quote:
New Vehicles are not cheaper when equally equipped .
See above regarding overhead.

Quote:
Property taxes in the Bigger Cites have roughly the same mil rate.
**Bigger the city the more it costs **
Outside city limits/agricultuiral /rural areas are naturally a different stories.
You obviously haven't heard about "Save our Homes". I'm not going to go into the dirty details. Let's just say, it's made buying a new home virtually impossible, because let's face it, if the counties can't get their money from the existing residents, they're going to get it from SOMEONE. All the pro-Save our Homes people don't consider the big picture.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Whoever posted that info about Florida vs. Tennessee is lying through their teeth.

Same vehicles that cost us $1,600 in Fort Myers, FL, cost us $680 in Knoxville. Same exact coverage, no changes in drivers or circumstances, except that we moved!

Groceries the same? WHAT? You have got to be kidding me!!!!! An hour ago I bought NY strip steaks for 4.99 a pound. All food is MUCH cheaper. The higher tax does NOT even it out.

Utlilities? We have the TVA. Tennessee Valley Authority. See, the people of Tennessee actually plan ahead. They've been making there own electricity for decades through the use of the rivers, steam and nuclear power. Google TVA to see what I am talking about.

Our electric bill every month in the summer? About $60 a month, and that was with the electricity running 24-7. We also rent a MUCH bigger place.

Our water/sewer bill runs about $36 a month.

Gas is MUCH cheaper here than in Fort Myers.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,469 times
Cool OMG... TN is 1/2 the cost of living of FL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Whoever posted that info about Florida vs. Tennessee is lying through their teeth.

Same vehicles that cost us $1,600 in Fort Myers, FL, cost us $680 in Knoxville. Same exact coverage, no changes in drivers or circumstances, except that we moved!

Groceries the same? WHAT? You have got to be kidding me!!!!! An hour ago I bought NY strip steaks for 4.99 a pound. All food is MUCH cheaper. The higher tax does NOT even it out.

Utlilities? We have the TVA. Tennessee Valley Authority. See, the people of Tennessee actually plan ahead. They've been making there own electricity for decades through the use of the rivers, steam and nuclear power. Google TVA to see what I am talking about.

Our electric bill every month in the summer? About $60 a month, and that was with the electricity running 24-7. We also rent a MUCH bigger place.

Our water/sewer bill runs about $36 a month.

Gas is MUCH cheaper here than in Fort Myers.
Dude..... hiknapster is right. I used to live in SE KY, right by the TN border. Pretty much EVERYTHING in TN costs less than in Central or South FL.

For example, we had a friend who lived in northern TN and paid like $700 for a 3/3 HOUSE rental. In Orlando, $700/mo will not even get you a 1/1 studio (that is similar to a 1bed apt, except there are no doors. other than the bathroom. To be honest, $700 will not even get you a studio in the ghetto or the gov't housing projects.

Then insurance.... car insurance is so much lower because there is less car theft and less accidents than in Orlando. It is RARE when we drive through downtown Orlando and do not see a drunk driver, swerving all over the place. People think, it is FL, let's get wild.... we have several serious accidents everyday.... it is not pretty. Then we have the lovely "no-fault" law, thanks to the insurance companies dominating FL' s state legislature.

Just as an example, my mom moved to Indiana and her car insuranced dopped $800 CHEAPER every 6 months. Her coverage improved from base insurance in FL ($10k property damage, $20k injury) to $200k property damage and $100k bodily injury/uninsured driver.

Food in the TN/KY areas is very cheap. Yes, the sales tax is higher, but the overall cost of things is so much lower, you still save $.

People need to look at the OVERALL cost of living and overall tax burden before stating to spit out crap. Yeah, FL doesn't have a state income tax, but the property taxes, sales taxes, and the "backdoor income tax" cost you more per year than if you had to pay a state income tax.

You also need to consider the overall cost of living and not just look at one factor. You might make a little less $ in TN, but you will spend so much less on other stuff that you will end up saving and having cash in hand in the end of the month.

If the wife and I make $20k less a year than we currently do in Orlando, we will save money and be able to buy a house next year when we leave Orlando.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:05 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
Thumbs down Ps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What you said about planning is true. FL doesn't plan for crap, they only plan for hurricanes. We have an insurance crisis on hand and NOTHING IS BEING DONE until Dec 2007. No planning. The insurance rates have been rising for over 2 years now, and finally we have street protests by desperate homeowners and the issue comes to light. Where was the plan to deal with this??

Also, where is the planning in our communities?? We have non-stop growth, building residential homes everywhere, massive urban sprwal. Home srae built 3 feet from each other. When I live din MetroWest, we actually could see our next door neighboor's living room from the kitchen.

Where are the plans for building more schools?? I went to a "top notch" high school (Dr. Phillips HS) where we had 51 students per teacher!!! How is that good education?? It felt like we were in a stadium in a college, except we were in HS getting better at math.

Where are the plans for expanidn Interstate 4, which is a mess everyday?? This Sunday, we were stuck in traffic for 1 and 1/2 hours after church. There was no accident, nothing!! Coming back from the graduation on Saturday, we were stuck for over 1 hour to get through downtown Orlando @ 7pm. It is ridiculous, it's not rush hour time and this is how bad traffic is.

Where are the plans for improving safety and curb crime?? Where are the plans to control and mitigate ruban sprwal/overcrowding? Where are the plans to control real estate fraud and speculation??

You got it, we don't have any. That is why it is a mess to live in Central Fla and sheer chaos to live in South Florida.
If anyone has any ideas or can share some plans to improve the quality of life in Central Fla, please post and let us know.

Chris

Old 12-18-2006, 10:10 AM

Unhappy :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossMann View Post
Anyone who compares living in Florida, or the amenities to any other state including TN is deluding themselves ! but there's someplace for everybody ! I wouldn't swap living in Manatee-SArasota Counties for living anywhere in KY, GA or TN, but there again I can afford it and I guess that's a key judgment ! People only seem to complain when they aren't able to write the check !

One bit of advice for everyone I guess, if you can't afford it or don't wish to spend the money to live in CA, FL, NYC or southern France, cote d'azur, then move on, that seems simple enough
The magic words you said: I CAN AFFORD IT.

Most people were able to afford it for year and years. Now, the middle class is being driven out. You are right, the middle class folk need to leave FL for the rich like you (probably a doctor, lawyer, real estate agent, or loan originator). The very poor will be here too.

Enjoy FL, the new Southern California!!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Dude..... hiknapster is right. I used to live in SE KY, right by the TN border. Pretty much EVERYTHING in TN costs less than in Central or South FL.

For example, we had a friend who lived in northern TN and paid like $700 for a 3/3 HOUSE rental. In Orlando, $700/mo will not even get you a 1/1 studio (that is similar to a 1bed apt, except there are no doors. other than the bathroom. To be honest, $700 will not even get you a studio in the ghetto or the gov't housing projects.

Then insurance.... car insurance is so much lower because there is less car theft and less accidents than in Orlando. It is RARE when we drive through downtown Orlando and do not see a drunk driver, swerving all over the place. People think, it is FL, let's get wild.... we have several serious accidents everyday.... it is not pretty. Then we have the lovely "no-fault" law, thanks to the insurance companies dominating FL' s state legislature.

Just as an example, my mom moved to Indiana and her car insuranced dopped $800 CHEAPER every 6 months. Her coverage improved from base insurance in FL ($10k property damage, $20k injury) to $200k property damage and $100k bodily injury/uninsured driver.

Food in the TN/KY areas is very cheap. Yes, the sales tax is higher, but the overall cost of things is so much lower, you still save $.

People need to look at the OVERALL cost of living and overall tax burden before stating to spit out crap. Yeah, FL doesn't have a state income tax, but the property taxes, sales taxes, and the "backdoor income tax" cost you more per year than if you had to pay a state income tax.

You also need to consider the overall cost of living and not just look at one factor. You might make a little less $ in TN, but you will spend so much less on other stuff that you will end up saving and having cash in hand in the end of the month.

If the wife and I make $20k less a year than we currently do in Orlando, we will save money and be able to buy a house next year when we leave Orlando.

I love your posts! I give you more positive rep. So true about the much lower costs of living! When I move to Oil city, ill be saving so much! Sad thing is a house in Oil city+costs of living is cheaper than a mobile home+costs of living in Florida!

Old 12-18-2006, 05:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post

Okay. Here's where it gets REALLY interesting...

There is NO state income tax in Florida, either!

And get ready for this...

I'm doing the same job I did in Fort Myers, FL, EXCEPT I now work at a Fortune 500 company and get paid MORE with actual benefits. Killer benefits.

My husband? In Fort Myers, he was shop foreman at an auto mechanic shop and made a fantastic salary. He's been working at a shop here for almost two months and takes home only $25 less a week.

Granted, we struggled for the first year in Tennessee. It IS hard to find a job here and it takes patience to find people to hire "outsiders." But our rent was very low here and we got by.

I should keep my big mouth shut, we haven't bought a house, yet, and housing prices are shooting up. There is a large influx of Floridians and Californians moving in. We're starting to see people from the Michigan area, too.

Some of them don't like it. The laid-back southern way is not for all. People looking for a sanitized-gated plastic way of life are not thrilled looking at trailers and cars up and blocks. To those people I say, "Stay away. This ain't Disney."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida