Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 05:54 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville Beach sounds like the ideal spot for you. Ample nightlife, not known as a "family friendly" area, beach community, somewhat low cost of living, and you'll still get some seasons unlike more southern parts of FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 07:24 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That drive will give you a very good idea of what most of Tampa looks like. Why so many burgular bars along that route? High crime. You'll need to go to the Northern burbs to escape the crime of eyesoresville, but it gets costly up there from Carrollwood North.
Always curious as to why many in the Tampa forum seem to think the "northern burbs" (Land of Lakes, etc) are the only safe/desirable suburbs. Have you ever heard of the SE suburbs around Fishhawk Ranch and Lithia?

Old 10-18-2018, 07:31 AM

22 posts, read 22,788 times
I'll definitely take that drive along Hillsborough Ave - thank you.

I hope when everyone is talking about "nightlife" they mean craft cocktails bars I can comfortably sit at from about 7-10pm. I'm not clubbing w glow sticks here.... ew. LOL

Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasnell76 View Post

I hope when everyone is talking about "nightlife" they mean craft cocktails bars I can comfortably sit at from about 7-10pm. I'm not clubbing w glow sticks here.... ew. LOL
Tampa’s crime rate actually is pretty on par with the national average. Compared to florida cities it’s actually one of the lowest overall statistic wise. Ybor City is best at night in my opinion as well. Drive around the areas you plan on living. For example, I chose Orlando to live. I also work from home. There is no reason if you live near Downtown Tampa for you to drive around sau Busch Gardens area. Just like I live in Dr. Phillips, there is no reason for me to drive around Sanford.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:28 AM

91 posts, read 167,529 times
I think for a single person wanting some action, the Tampa/St.Pete area will be a good choice to start out with. Plenty to do. People coming from the midwest tend to like the west side of Florida better, so this is normal. Plus you can move if you hate it. A big advantage most people don't have.
I'd check out Delray Beach on the East Coast, just a little north of Fort Lauderdale.

Last edited by Florida Paul; 10-18-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paul View Post
I'd check out Delray Beach on the East Coast, just a little north of Fort Lauderdale.
Good call. Delray seems to be one of those forgotten beach towns that I rarely see anyone recommend here. In my visits to DB I thought it had a lot of charm, although real estate was pricey and friends there have said some of the schools are no bueno.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:15 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:

As mentioned, you may wish to look into the Delray/Boynton beach area.
Originally from Chicago, I resided in Ft. Myers, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano, along with the above.
I also traveled the state as a material supplier in construction, staying overnight in Tampa etc.
The area in southern Palm Beach county is a forgotten gem, and not packed w/tourists during season.
You'll find plenty of fitness centers, upscale bars and restaurants, awesome shopping, relatively uncrowded beaches barring Boca, and less overall congestion than the Tampa/Orlando metro area.

There are things you will miss, never did get used to the holidays down there; finally began vacationing back in Chicago during Winter of all seasons. Beaches get old fast, and the Gulf side is too hot to walk on during summer in bare feet; plus the water does nothing to cool one down.
I've swam with feeding tarpon on east coast beaches, while west coast beaches offer red tide and sting rays.
Best wishes on your search.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM

361 posts, read 259,262 times
Quote:

I made the move from Chicago (1660 N LaSalle) to South Tampa (block in from Bayshore) a long time ago. Sure don't regret it. I'd recommend checking out Hyde Park as another poster suggested. But you will be more like 45+ minutes from the beaches.

Another area you might check out is around the city of St. Pete. Puts you within 30 minutes of the beaches.

I don't know why people tell you to drive around Hillsborough Ave, pretty irrelevant as you don't have to drive to work.

Good luck in your search!

Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
I made the move from Chicago (1660 N LaSalle) to South Tampa (block in from Bayshore) a long time ago. Sure don't regret it. I'd recommend checking out Hyde Park as another poster suggested. But you will be more like 45+ minutes from the beaches.

Another area you might check out is around the city of St. Pete. Puts you within 30 minutes of the beaches.

I don't know why people tell you to drive around Hillsborough Ave, pretty irrelevant as you don't have to drive to work.

Good luck in your search!
Exactly, no reason for the OP to drive Hillsborough.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:30 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Exactly, no reason for the OP to drive Hillsborough.
I made a comment that Tampa is junky looking, and to illustrate my point I suggested the OP drive the length of Hillsborough Ave that cuts right through the center of town East to West to see what I'm talking about. It had nothing to do with the traffic. Its about old run down homes, grafitti, garbage, burgular bars, ect..

I told the OP Bayshore and Hyde Park are nice, and the Northern 'burb North of Carrollwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida