Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 AM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times

Advertisements

Will the growing real estate slump make residents of SW Florida even edgier and grumpier than they are now? Or is that even possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I think that a continued slump will make some people happier. Perhaps when people can actually AFFORD a house they will not see their work as a waste of time.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:09 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Will the growing real estate slump make residents of SW Florida even edgier and grumpier than they are now? Or is that even possible?
I would think not at all. I believe the last number I read only 46% were even home owners and of that percent only a small percent are involved in this problem. I would say the majority who are looking into getting into a house look forward to the prices dropping. As bad as things seem, it really only effects a very small number of people. Most just go about their day to day lives and all this real estate stuff is just a news story to them as they head off to work or the golf course.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 AM

must be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Most just go about their day to day lives and all this real estate stuff is just a news story to them as they head off to work or the golf course.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
must be nice
What? Not everybody were idiots and got themselves in debt or borrowed money on paid off houses because they could. Not everybody got crazy loans when more conventional loans were available and yes, the number of people this actually effects is very small. The rest will benefit from the correction to normalcy. I am sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy, it is for the best.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 AM

I don't have much sympathy either--I think the only people who should get the Bush bailout are those if it can be proved they were tricked in some way by the lenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
What? Not everybody were idiots and got themselves in debt or borrowed money on paid off houses because they could. Not everybody got crazy loans when more conventional loans were available and yes, the number of people this actually effects is very small. The rest will benefit from the correction to normalcy. I am sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy, it is for the best.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 AM

172 posts, read 857,214 times
back to square one.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 PM

265 posts, read 665,188 times
I'll admit I'm grumpy.
I believe it was the May issue of Money magazine said the Sarasota
market would get strong again in 2008.
Aside from a transfer for work or a hardship, I truly find these people
selling and whining about it, truly annoying.
They remind me of drivers that only think of themselves on the road.
Cutting in front without enough room to do so, for instance.
Yes, sellers that don't have to sell are incrediably annoying and that's
making me grumpy.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:31 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I agree with everyone,if you can't afford it,don't buy.Gimmick's will lead to disaster.No sympathy here.Now you pay the price.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
No, I don't think so. I just think people are that way here b/c they can be. The RVers will be done here in a few months thinking they own the place & the snowbirders will be down here in a few months glaring at everyone who speaks above a whisper or isn't from NYC. The poor souls who live here full time will just keep on existing.

It appears that it is the big builders here in SW FL & their investors who are getting nailed right now.

As for individuals, well, I say the rest as the same as you. Did these people do a budget? Did these people do a budget away from a mortgage lender & realtor? Did these people do a real budget that counted every last penny "just in case" the crap hits the fan?

How many knew they probably couldn't afford the home but, hey, let's just get it anyway, it's brand new, & has stainless steel appliances & has lots of square footage!!!!!! Instant gratification regardless of what the consequence could be.

Then, there are the true people who are suffering for reasons they could not necessarily control, though I think this is a very small number.

Yes, it is a mess in SW FL right now if one lives here full time. And it is sad to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: