U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:12 AM

6 posts, read 3,976 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Ive lived in South Florida (Coral Springs) most of my life. Im getting tired of it because it's not the Florida I grew up in, crime and population are way worse.... I always loved hanging around Orlando, it's much prettier and the people seem to be friendlier, ...its not as expensive and more to do.
My question, is Orlando really much better than life in Broward county? Is crime better? I work for the county in parks, how are job opportunities there?
Second question. How do you move? Do you look for a job first, or use the savings to get an apartment and then job hunt?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:37 AM

23,026 posts, read 34,278,219 times
The Orlando area is quickly morphing into what South Florida is like now. I was born and raised in the Fort Lauderdale area and have lived in the Orlando area on/off the past twenty years (consistently now since 2010). The housing market has pretty much closed the gap in terms of cost, and rentals in particular are way beyond what most can adequately afford with the average one bedroom in a non-scary setting at $1100 a month or more. Unlike South Florida which had planned far better with roads and infrastructure, the Orlando area hasn't been so lucky with either zero planning effort performed or shoddy projects that once executed are already 10-20 years inadequate. The Orlando area and South Florida area are pretty close to equals in terms of crime rate so in my opinion it's no win there either. Like much of Florida, the Parks and Recreation Departments of varying towns are underfunded and often among the first few budget cuts when looking to recoup shortfalls. In terms of the friendlier factor in Central Florida I would say that perhaps used to be the case but feel with the increases in traffic, congestion and struggle to make ends meet it no longer feels that way for the most part. Also not to bring race relations into the mix (as a non-racist) but it would be disingenuous to not mention the skyrocketing influx of Puerto Ricans into the area which has/does influence the "friendly factor". I would urge you to consider other areas of the state which still retain the "old Florida" feel you're accustomed to and are likely better fits. Off the top of my head I would suggest cities like Sarasota, Fort Myers/Cape Coral or Melbourne and if you absolutely must have a larger city Jacksonville has plenty of areas that would meet your wish list.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 3,976 times
Hey,
Thanks so much for your honest reply. I had heard about the influx of Puerto Ricans, but I didnt know if it was speculation or not. Sometimes you're better with the devil you know (South Florida) in this case. Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM

11,644 posts, read 3,440,056 times
For each person/family, the relocation process differs. Based upon the info you provided, here's my suggestions:

step 1 visit any area you are considering for as long as possible, even if you can only pull off a 1 week vacation there. Make it a vacation w/ a purpose. Make a list of ?'s concerns, likes/dislikes, and consider it a research vacation. Grade things that are important to you A-F. List most important items at the top and lowest at the bottom.

step 2 if after visiting for as long as you can, if you like it, then find a job at the new location first. Do NOT move 1st, and find job 2nd unless you have at least 6 months of savings you can live on to get by during the job search. If you do have 6 months saved up that can sustain you, and you are a natural risk taker, move, then take any job you can land right away so you don't burn through your cash as fast. Conduct your P&R job search when not working at the temp gig. If you go this route, dont sign ANY leases. Do airbnb, or low end VRBO place by the month.

step 3 after landing the permanent P&R job (ask for an offer letter in writing after explaining you are moving from another part of the state). Then start looking for a place to live near your job.

I'd focus my search in high growth areas where new parks are being built since openings will exist.

Outside Bradenton is a master planned community called Lakewood Ranch. High growth area, lots of families, lots of parks. It's in Manatee County. Downtown Bradenton is somewhat lively after dark. Lakewood Ranch to downtown Bradenton can be 40 minutes during bad rush hours, so I'd look for housing near the midpoint but closer to Lakewood Ranch. Maybe just West of I-75. This way 15-20 minutes to work, 10-15 minutes to go out at night.

Another fast growing area is Northport. Its a snoozefest at night though, but not for long. Northport is booming with young families moving in because housing is very affordable. You could go to downtown Englewood for nightlife until Northport develops its own. Again, locate housing midpoint between your job in North Port and the small amount of nightlife in Englewood.

Punta Gorda is building a massive pickleball facility that will have 64 courts, and will draw players from nearby States to its tourneys and pro events. I'll bet they are hiring people for that right now. The 1st 16 courts are under construction I believe. Punta Gorda has a nice little downtown area and affordable housing.

I'd also look at the area between Southside of Jax and St. Augustine. Its growing, younger families, and affordable.

The growth areas in Sarasota County are South and East. You'd be 30-35 minutes to nightlife in downtown sarasota. Not as many young families and new parks as you'll find in Lakewood Ranch. I know Sarasota County is absorbing some of the City of Sarasota's parks right now, so could that be an opportunity?

If there are any parks and recreation industry trade shows in any of the areas I mentioned, or Orlando, that you can attend and get into w/o a invite, by all means go to network. Thar way you can check out the town/area while you are job searching. Multi-task. Bring resume's, and business cards. Attend the break out sessions that are in your field since smaller groups are easier to meet people in.

I'd also check out Estero. That fits the fast growth, families, parks mold too. Just South of Fort Myers but North of Bonita Springs.

I dont know Orlando so well, but look for where most of the new housing is being built. That is where new parks will be built too.

Best of luck to you, and I hope some of this helps.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 AM

204 posts, read 186,611 times
Orlando is not as different from south florida as you may think. The growth here the past 5 years has been crazy. Our traffic, real estate prices are not that far behind and just continuing to go up.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:00 AM

11,644 posts, read 3,440,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad06 View Post
Orlando is not as different from south florida as you may think. The growth here the past 5 years has been crazy. Our traffic, real estate prices are not that far behind and just continuing to go up.
I think a 2nd or 3rd tier city would be best for the OP. Just big enough to have some things to do and nightlife, and population growth of younger families who will need new parks.

The larger established cities parks & rec departments don't see much turnover. They are highly desireable government jobs with cadillac healthcare plans & pensions, and almost nobody gets fired, or downsized. Where else are you going to find that kind of job anymore? Those who get them squat on them until they retire.

I like Winter Park (Orlando), but nothing else Orlando. The airport's top notch, so I'll give them that.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 PM

22,346 posts, read 21,181,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous28 View Post
Hello,
Ive lived in South Florida (Coral Springs) most of my life. Im getting tired of it because it's not the Florida I grew up in, crime and population are way worse.... I always loved hanging around Orlando, it's much prettier and the people seem to be friendlier, ...its not as expensive and more to do.
My question, is Orlando really much better than life in Broward county? Is crime better? I work for the county in parks, how are job opportunities there?
Second question. How do you move? Do you look for a job first, or use the savings to get an apartment and then job hunt?
Thanks!
I used to live in Boca Raton and now live in Orlando (Dr Phillips) and I love it. Orlando is really nice overall, my favorite city in Florida.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:31 PM

20,975 posts, read 6,366,978 times
My take is that Orlando isn't the place you want to go if you want to escape massive urbanization, traffic and all the other problems of packing people in.

Keeping it short, you have to set your priorities and then use maps and common sense to locate some potential areas. You might like the Gulf Coast - Sarasota Country and the State and towns have some nice Park systems.

But Orlando? It has most of the bad of Florida and less of the good (IMHO).

Obviously some people think differently. My young nephew, raised in Davie, went to School in Orlando and lived there a couple years and couldn't wait to get out.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:38 PM

5,687 posts, read 5,835,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My take is that Orlando isn't the place you want to go if you want to escape massive urbanization, traffic and all the other problems of packing people in.

Keeping it short, you have to set your priorities and then use maps and common sense to locate some potential areas. You might like the Gulf Coast - Sarasota Country and the State and towns have some nice Park systems.

But Orlando? It has most of the bad of Florida and less of the good (IMHO).

Obviously some people think differently. My young nephew, raised in Davie, went to School in Orlando and lived there a couple years and couldn't wait to get out.
Yep. Orlando's not for everyone. I lived in South Florida for 20 years, moved to the Tampa Bay area and was happy there for a long time as well. But traffic, housing and expense ran me out. We lived briefly in the Orlando area and for us it was a nightmare in terms of crime and traffic. We couldn't wait to get out, either and it felt as if we escaped by the skin of our teeth.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:24 PM

20,975 posts, read 6,366,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yep. Orlando's not for everyone. I lived in South Florida for 20 years, moved to the Tampa Bay area and was happy there for a long time as well. But traffic, housing and expense ran me out. We lived briefly in the Orlando area and for us it was a nightmare in terms of crime and traffic. We couldn't wait to get out, either and it felt as if we escaped by the skin of our teeth.
Tampa still has the traffic but a lot of the newer redeveloped neighborhoods offer very nice housing for price I find reasonable. I have a cus who is a top realtor there so I always see his feed. Lots of young people moving in and living around there due to the decent prices....

But if you want something fancier it probably costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida