Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:14 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times

Advertisements

I don't see how any Floridian can say they do not care about the environment. As a native Floridian myself, Floridians know first hand what slight changes do to the environment as Florida more than any other state feels the brunt of these changes.

The only thing with pre existing conditions is all the candidates that now claim to support it were literally trying to strip that away from the nearly 50% of freaking americans who would lose their protections under the bills they tried to pass in the last 2 years. Can anyone tell me that they were not trying to do this, or was i wittnening something else? It seemed like a way of putting party before people in this country and those skeletons will always be there hanging over them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 12:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How has Senator Bill Nelson managed to remain in office all these years? Is he perceived as a moderate, “Blue Dog” Democrat who can count on some Republican support?
Nelson is a good man and a good senator that simply does not going around blowing his own horn. Many Floridians are unaware of all that he's done because he's not a boastful obnoxious politician-type. Off the top of my head, Nelson has been very strong on the environment, Everglades protection, when Disney started laying off American workers and hiring workers with visas, Nelson and Sessions put in a bill to allow fewer H1-B visa workers allowed into the US annually. Rubio, on the other hand, put in a bill to expand H1-B visa workers.

Nelson is one of those throwbacks to good honest lawmakers who care about their state and its residents more than his own career. Nelson cares about people, and it is obvious.

No contest between him and Scott, former CEO who presided over the largest Medicare fraud in the country. Scott is about himself and his money, as well as being a Trump rubber stamp flunky.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How many times does Trump and other Republican leaders have to publicly claim they will not allow insurors to discriminate against Americans w/ pre-existing conditions for Dems to believe it? EVERY speech Trump gives he says it, and to resounding applause. It's ancient history...it's nearly unanimous. It might be the only thing both parties agree upon.

I can't argue for Rick Scott's environmental stance. I'm like most Floridians...I don't place the environment in my top 5 issues. I think its beautiful here.

Nelson's too old, and is a Chuck Shumer lapdog voting as Shumer dictates nearly ever time. That is NOT local representation.

If Nelson's elected, he'll be 84 after his term. Crap, I'm in my 50's & can't remember where I put my keys, or phone, at times.

I wish Rick Scott hadn't won the Primary election, but he did, so I have no choice. I'm sure not voting for Shumer after what he did to Judge Kavanaugh in front of his wife and children...disgraceful.
Nobody believes Trump and the GOP are protecting pre-existing coverage because they are NOT.

Scott, Bondi and other governors and states are suing to get rid of the ACA. The ACA is the only reason pre-existing conditions are covered. The fact is that Trump does not understand anything about healthcare--it actually is too complicated for him. He does not understand how or why insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions--because of the mandate. And he has no clue how to make it better--not a clue.

The GOP, Scott, Trump and all those other GOP candidates are, in fact, lying. They are not trying to protect that coverage--they are actively trying to get rid of it. It most certainly is NOT ancient history or settled policy. And then they are going to attack Medicare and SS.

They are not only not trying to protect that coverage--they are actively trying to destroy it, and the voters have finally figured it out. Scott's a phony who tries to have it all ways--be a Trump lapdog, while Trump's agenda is anti-environment, anti-immigrant, etc. Scott is too weak--he won't stand up for Florida and he won't stand up for health care--he never has.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
You do know that since Obama cut off oil drilling in the waters off of Florida that Russia and China moved right in to to take over our rigs and wells right? Yep, just off the Cuban Coast ~50 miles from Miami. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Shumer, Schumer...what's the diff?

Heck, on a clear day, you can "C" the Red hammer & sickle on the ships passing by off of South Beach carrying our oil away.
Certainly you know that much of the oil from, for example, the Canadian pipelines, is refined in Texas and they shipped away....far away.

We export 3 million bbls per day.

Those ships are passing by too, right? And there is zero difference other than we get to eat and drink and breath the pollution from the refineries that crack it before they sell it to someone 1/2 way around the world.

Nice try with the Red Scare, though. Given the love for Russians among the current Admin here it's a tough point to make tho.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
To answer the OP, Nelson seems very much like an old line New England Republican. Today this is called a Democrat. He surely isn't exciting and dynamic. He's not hated like Cruz and other big mouths in Congress.

If he beats Scott, a two term Gov. who set up the voting rolls the way he wanted...and who has unlimited money and power behind him - that's saying something. If the Dems had a stronger candidate it would probably be a wipe-out. Floridians never really had Big Love for Scott. I think he won once with a minority of voters and the other time barely cracked 50%. Floridians finally started understand the effects of his denial (of everything!) in the last two years and he has moderated a lot trying to set himself up for Congress.

They may put Dead Fish on his Political Tombstone.....if he loses.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

... Scott, a two term Gov.

They may put Dead Fish on his Political Tombstone.....if he loses.

A dead fish along with the words: Red Tide Rick makes us sick.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 PM

72 posts, read 60,125 times
Quote:
You do know that since Obama cut off oil drilling in the waters off of Florida that Russia and China moved right in to to take over our rigs and wells right? Yep, just off the Cuban Coast ~50 miles from Miami.
Heck, on a clear day, you can "C" the Red hammer & sickle on the ships passing by off of South Beach carrying our oil away.
Your not implying (saying) that theres a possibility He is or was their "MAN" on the inside are you ? Lord help us !

Old 11-05-2018, 04:03 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
I voted for Bill Nelson for years, and I'm not a Democrat. What I liked was that his staffers took good care of constituents who needed help. Twice over the years I was helped by his office and I could always count on them.

Sadly, that has changed. It seemed that his office got taken over by people who were more like operatives than staffers, and in fact rather nasty and rude. This started happening three years ago.

So I'm sitting this one out. Bill's staff used to take care of the constituents, no matter what party you were. Not any more.

Everything's too politicized now.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:10 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
How many times does Trump and other Republican leaders have to publicly claim they will not allow insurors to discriminate against Americans w/ pre-existing conditions for Dems to believe it? EVERY speech Trump gives he says it, and to resounding applause. It's ancient history...it's nearly unanimous. It might be the only thing both parties agree upon.
The Republicans repeatedly have tried to kill the Affordable Care Act, WITHOUT EVER OFFERING a replacement that offered comparable levels of insurance as the ACA for those with pre-existing conditions. The Democrats passed the Affordable Care Act, which actually provided millions of Americans with pre-existing conditions with good healthcare insurance. Where is the Republican alternative? Please provide a link. The American Health Care Act promoted by Republicans significantly weakened benefits for those with pre-existing conditions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/02/u...nditions-.html

Over 650,000 Floridians, whether they have pre-existing conditions or not, have NO healthcare insurance due to the failure of Florida Republicans, including especially Rick Scott, to accept Medicaid expansion.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/hea...214432969.html

Who believes Donald Trump, apart from man-made climate change science deniers and other Trumpies? Tens of millions of Americans and persons elsewhere believe that Trump is a facile, serial liar, and the evidence is that they are right.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-telli...lleges-1200769

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9GdqoVpug8

Most persons believe that not only Donald Trump, but most Republicans are lying about their healthcare votes and policies.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gop-c...202027888.html

What about the Trump administration's support for a lawsuit by Republican state attorney generals to overturn the pre-existing condition protections of the ACA?

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...ing-conditions

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...allenge-to-aca

Old 11-05-2018, 07:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Remember that Rick Scott is also the guy who tried to sell Florida State Parks off to the highest bidder. Note that is consistent with current White House resident attempts to sell other fragile federal land off to the highest leasehold bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida