Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 12:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There is absolutely no proof that hurricanes will get worse, it’s only speculation. The strongest storm on record to ever hit Puerto Rico with 160 mph winds was in 1928. After hitting Puerto Rico it hit Palm Beach with 145mph winds. There was no such thing as man made climate change in 1928. In the grand scheme of things we have only been keeping records for a short time, so who knows what’s the strongest hurricane to ever hit what we now know as Florida.

Instead of saying things WILL happen, you should be saying they MAY happen, because that’s all you can do is guess.
Yes all these 500 year floods happening in Houston the last few years are just another example of "coincidence"

We are seeing increases in water and air temps out of proportion to what would be expected otherwise....not to mention unprecedented warming of polar ice.

Again whether you choose to believe facts and the science is one thing, but it won't change it one way or the other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 12:39 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Hopefully this allows Floridians to see salary bumps, and increased quality of life, but when you think about Florida has pretty much been run by republicsnd for a long time, and I really don't see it has benefited the state.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:44 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
LOL, the person who refuses to take a single interview because her issues are as deep as a Miss America contestant.

“How will you pay for single payer”

-I don’t know we will find a way.

“Why do you think ICE is like the KKK”

-Because I saw someone saying it on a late night talk show

She is the LAST person Florida needs
She hasn't even been in congress yet not sure how you can really judge her.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:46 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
She hasn't even been in congress yet not sure how you can really judge her.
Because I’ve seen the few interviews and speeches she’s made. She doesn’t even know the branches of government. She is the Sarah Palin of the Democrats. Not the kind of candidate I’d wish for Florida as the other member mentioned.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:28 PM

110 posts, read 94,062 times
Quote:
Because I’ve seen the few interviews and speeches she’s made. She doesn’t even know the branches of government. She is the Sarah Palin of the Democrats. Not the kind of candidate I’d wish for Florida as the other member mentioned.

She is still Better than bootlicker Desantis and welfare pimp Scott and No one could ever match Sarah Palin's
IQ level.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
LOL, the person who refuses to take a single interview because her issues are as deep as a Miss America contestant.

“How will you pay for single payer”

-I don’t know we will find a way.

“Why do you think ICE is like the KKK”

-Because I saw someone saying it on a late night talk show

She is the LAST person Florida needs
Better than trump who flat out lied on 60 minutes about supporting single payer healthcare so he could get elected

Old 11-22-2018, 01:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Let's break it down.

Do you really deny that Race is a issue for.....say 2% of Florida voters? 3%? 5%?

Come up with a number so we can discuss this in reality. Are you saying that the number of Floridians who would vote against a black candidate is tiny? If so, that is quite fantastic since I have a family member who lives in Bumfork Florida and I can assure you that actual MAJORITY of people in her county would do so. If I had to guess at the percentage I would say it exceeds 5%. But whether 1% of 3% or 5% it exists.

For you not to know this is folly...or, you just don't care about facts and history.
I am not the one who made the accusation, the person who did needs to come up with those numbers.

Florida went for Obama in 2008 and 2012...

Old 11-22-2018, 01:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yes all these 500 year floods happening in Houston the last few years are just another example of "coincidence"

We are seeing increases in water and air temps out of proportion to what would be expected otherwise....not to mention unprecedented warming of polar ice.

Again whether you choose to believe facts and the science is one thing, but it won't change it one way or the other
Houston didn’t exist 500 years ago, so you have no idea what a “500 year flood” even is.

The problem isn’t only the weather, it’s the massive amount of urbanization causing runoff. When you continue to pave over everything and channel all of the water through storm drains and ditches there’s bound to be a problem. Add into that all of the land that was originally low lying bottomland, that were then drained and turned in subdivisions, then everyone acts all surprised when it floods.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:14 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Houston didn’t exist 500 years ago, so you have no idea what a “500 year flood” even is.

The problem isn’t only the weather, it’s the massive amount of urbanization causing runoff. When you continue to pave over everything and channel all of the water through storm drains and ditches there’s bound to be a problem. Add into that all of the land that was originally low lying bottomland, that were then drained and turned in subdivisions, then everyone acts all surprised when it floods.
I don't know why people don't get this. Florida has experienced massive development over the decades. Not to mention, the draining of low lying land and an increase in population that just won't quit.

If some people knew what used to exist where their development now is, they'd probably have a coronary.

Where I used to live, it was normal to have water from Tampa bay puddling on Rte 41 during moon tides. That doesn't happen anymore, because they built a huge development on fill where the mangrove swamp used to be. Plus they built up a bunch of berms and such to insulate the community from the traffic on 41. So now the community is a buffer between 41 and Tampa Bay. But hey, it's waterfront! And now IT has the problems instead of 41.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Lol you clearly are clueless as to how that is defined if you believe Houston had to have existed 500 years ago for that definition to apply.

I don't know why right wingers are so anti science. It's truly baffling

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...that-possible/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida