Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoLiberal View Post
A lot of you want us to leave so you can turn FL into a "The Villages" type place, sorry it won't happen, without MIAMI/SEFL and Disney, FL would be just southern Georgia...
We can only dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Just 3 Trump puppets who will only represent him, a "lame duck" Republican super majority legislature for over 20 years, FL is over, maybe it's time to move?
I don't think "democratic" means what you think it means......

Old 11-19-2018, 12:38 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Nelson was very forgettable - ... As a minority in the Senate (given the current GOP), you can do almost zero.

Money ...

But all that said, let me address the more important issue. Republican politicians from Florida had better get on the ball and see the way the wind is blowing (onshore with red tide, etc.). If they don't moderate and do the Will of the People in Florida, they will be gone as soon as chance allows.
Nelson was senator during times when so-called democrat party was both majority and minority, he never really made any successful legislative proposals in 18 years regardless. He did try on occasion, but never successfully. Mr. Scott is no gem, but too much fatigue with Mr. Nelson's ineffectiveness.

Money is fungible all around, so the same necessary evil for everyone, as you yourself admit. And no "reform" is going to change that.

The overall result shows that Floridians are satisfied with the fiscal condition of the State - most clearly through the referendum requiring a super-majority to raise taxes and fees - no small thing. So we have long achieved moderation on that score and don't want immature inexperienced immoderate ideologues to screw it up.

On the national level, I believe the most important issue was protecting what is good about ACA: House so-called republicans wanted to throw it all away with nothing to replace the good parts, while Senate so-called republicans, as well as so-called democrats of course, protected them, despite the cost of the overall package being way out of proportion to the relatively few benefits, in other words, not really affordable; what a wasted opportunity in 2009-2010, truly disgusting.

In my view, health care reform has to go either all the way in terms of price transparency or all the way in terms of a single-payer system. But as long as we have health care insurance and big pharma executives more powerful than everyone else combined on that issue, expect the overpriced and over-complicated hodgepodge that we all suffer through to continue.

In the meantime, best health insurance policy is real food and exercise in moderate quantities which is, at least, something the individual can control, with due care and effort.

All the best!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You see, just enough people view her, not as a so-called democrat, but as a human being with interesting policy ideas, not stupid ideologies, but policy ideas that could actually work on the ground. Why not give her a chance?

And that, IMO, is the best way to choose a candidate for office, that, and past history (as available), to determine if the candidate's history is compatible with those ideas. Much preferable to choosing a candidate based solely on political party and/or racial/ethnic identity.

We'll see how this lady does.....

Old 11-19-2018, 01:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
A nice thought but delusional. Cancer or heart disease can strike anyone as they get older regardless of how well they eat or how good a physical shape they are in. The costs are astronomical, more than $10K a day for hospitalization for either of these two conditions. If you don't have good health insurance, find a way to hide all your assets.
Quote:

In the meantime, best health insurance policy is real food and exercise in moderate quantities which is, at least, something the individual can control, with due care and effort.

All the best!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Prevention and good health habits is key, but still we will all get a major health issue or die from an accident at some point. My uncle got small cell lung cancer and he never used salt when he cooked, exercised, never smoked or drank... he was a health freak. Health insurance is needed for everyone. It’s good for tax payers as well because guess who ends up paying the bill from an emergency call without insurance.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:11 PM

538 posts, read 732,217 times
Quote:
Just 3 Trump puppets who will only represent him, a "lame duck" Republican super majority legislature for over 20 years, FL is over, maybe it's time to move?

You should move to California. Be with your kind.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
The hardcore liberals in Florida who always seem angry about the state's politics should try living in California. I moved to California as a hardcore Democrat. I loved it at first, but then started seeing the ugly side effects. I moved back to Florida as a moderate who leans right.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A little melodramatic.
Not at all. One year of terrible Red Tide affecting millions on the Gulf Coast.
A virtual dead sea and dead bays.

But if you don't live there and value nature then you probably don't care much.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
The overall result shows that Floridians are satisfied with the fiscal condition of the State - most clearly through the referendum requiring a super-majority to raise taxes and fees - no small thing. So we have long achieved moderation on that score and don't want immature inexperienced immoderate ideologues to screw it up.

All the best!
Hmmm.....I don't think anyone can say a few thousand votes (less than 1/4 of a percent, etc.) means "the people have spoken" on any subject...

The Supermajority thing is just decent policy - just like changing the Constitution (felons vote), which EASILY obtained the super-majority. A lot of spending referendums also got a high vote in counties and elsewhere (even tho they didn't need it).

What I gather from those ballot questions is that Florida is becoming more enlightened all in all. Didn't one go down that would have extended homestead free money? If so, that's a good thing....the idea of newcomers having to pay big bucks for the longer term residents is patently unfair.

With more and more year-rounders and a more diverse economy (not yet good enough in that sense, tho), Florida starts looking more like other populated states. In the past it was ALL special interests, and those included old people, big ag, disney and more...now it's big enough that there are many more interests.

All in all I am optimistic in that sense. But I am pessimistic on Florida addressing their environmental and traffic problems. Not much I can do about that....it's Big Picture stuff. I suppose if the USA holds together, it will happen - just not in my lifetime. In the end people want to live a high quality of life and without clean waters and air and easy transport this is unlikely to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida