Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:04 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
Was doing some fact checking on the diversity at the villages in central Florida and found its 95.5 white. In all of they advertisements you never see any person of color. Sad! Its a nice safe retirement community but lack diversity.

Diversity isn't all it's cracked up to be. In my experience, the more "diverse" a community is, the more crime. You can ignore that if you want, but it remains true. It has nothing to do with what's legal or right, some people want to live in low crime areas when they retire, and there's nothing wrong in that! You want diversity, I'm sure there are plenty places you can retire so you can feel far superior and right with yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
Perhaps the Villages should use this thread in their advertising. The slogan could be - The Villages, where segregationist go to die.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:21 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, according to this theory, wealthy Russians enjoy diversity as they are buying up vast numbers of properties in SE Florida.

Diversity is not a code word for race. It's a "code word" for the USA and.or the world. You've apparently lived a long time and not figured that out.

As far as humans "messing with it", short of that we'd have small tribes of a couple 100 or 1,000. Welcome to History. Rome was the most successful Empire for a LONG time specifically due to acceptance of "the other" as a full citizen IF they performed the duties and upheld the responsibilities of a citizen.

Why isn't Russia the USA? That is, if your theory is correct, we wouldn't have become the most successful nation in the history of the planet quicker than any other. Russia - with more resources, more land mass and less population density should be the wealthiest and happiness nation on the planet.

Don't get me wrong. If "your world" is seeking out your own tribe and staying only with that, more power to you. But when you try to project "your world" as "the world", I think you can go wrong.

It's hard to say that Florida represents much of anything except what money does without culture and history. It provides proof of nothing except unbridled greed and foolishness...hence being built up by Mafia and Drug Money and the "swampland in Florida I have to sell you" as well as the famous Florida Man (look it up).

Extending that model to the ROW (Rest of World) is not going to work out well.
I would imagine that any slave (and there were many) who lived during the days of the Roman Empire would take serious issue with this: "Rome was the most successful Empire for a LONG time specifically due to acceptance of "the other" as a full citizen IF they performed the duties and upheld the responsibilities of a citizen."

The system of citizenship, patronage and slavery that existed over the span of the Roman Empire was very complex and heavily regulated. It was certainly not all rainbows, unicorns and skittles.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Is there anything in how the villages have been marketed that has inhibited this opportunity to any group? Or is it that this style of living hasn't been appealing to some groups.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Is there anything in how the villages have been marketed that has inhibited this opportunity to any group? Or is it that this style of living hasn't been appealing to some groups.
If you've read the thread, you'd see that the developer took numerous actions, many of which are then reflected by the residents, to make certain the "Right tone" is set there....

Even a moderate Democrat (read some of the articles online) was made to feel unwelcome...while at the same time the owner (passed away now) has hung giant political banners when he wants to.

Fox plays on TV's in many of the shopping areas.

I am certain it's not the "type of living" because here in the Sarasota area we have communities that have more diverse (in thought and style and political affiliations) than the Villages.

Online articles do say that since Dad passed away the family that owns it is trying to tamp down their political ranting and contributions. They had given vast sums to Rick Scott and the Party....in all former elections.

That wouldn't be a big deal in itself. It's the tone they set through the newsletters and stuff like that - Dog Whistles and, based on the reporting, it seems the residents heard them!

Those who are apolitical (probably most people) simply overlook it. But, given the choice, I don't think more sensitive populations would willingly move in there (if they knew everything). They have choices.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I would imagine that any slave (and there were many) who lived during the days of the Roman Empire would take serious issue with this: "Rome was the most successful Empire for a LONG time specifically due to acceptance of "the other" as a full citizen IF they performed the duties and upheld the responsibilities of a citizen."

The system of citizenship, patronage and slavery that existed over the span of the Roman Empire was very complex and heavily regulated. It was certainly not all rainbows, unicorns and skittles.
No one claimed that - you seem to understand, tho, that it was a successful diverse community...obviously things were different a couple thousand years ago, but still....that was what it was. Diverse.

On the other hand, most of Western Russia is not diverse. Things aren't exactly rosy there...

Point is, it's not a truism that things would be great if only we all holed up with those exactly the same as we are.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:54 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If you've read the thread, you'd see that the developer took numerous actions, many of which are then reflected by the residents, to make certain the "Right tone" is set there....

Even a moderate Democrat (read some of the articles online) was made to feel unwelcome...while at the same time the owner (passed away now) has hung giant political banners when he wants to.

Fox plays on TV's in many of the shopping areas.

I am certain it's not the "type of living" because here in the Sarasota area we have communities that have more diverse (in thought and style and political affiliations) than the Villages.

Online articles do say that since Dad passed away the family that owns it is trying to tamp down their political ranting and contributions. They had given vast sums to Rick Scott and the Party....in all former elections.

That wouldn't be a big deal in itself. It's the tone they set through the newsletters and stuff like that - Dog Whistles and, based on the reporting, it seems the residents heard them!

Those who are apolitical (probably most people) simply overlook it. But, given the choice, I don't think more sensitive populations would willingly move in there (if they knew everything). They have choices.
Yes I read the posts although you seem to be the main conspiracy theorist posting, about the only initial thing the builder did was lack diversity in the original advertisements. As a 30 year old community wouldn't it be safer to say that diversity wasn't in the forefront of marketing back in the 80's, in Central Florida and the "dad" was an old red neck?

Fox news has only become the pariah of the media world during the recent presidency prior to that it was considered a 3rd world joke. But why is it assumed that minorities are more political/sensitive then the average caucasian I think they are no different and the percentage that is "apolitical" is no different.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:45 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
And if the decision is made to have TV monitors in public places, it would make sense to broadcast the most popular or highest-rated channels, in an effort to appeal to the largest number of people. As far back as I can remember, administrators of public spaces have generally chosen news channels for such 'babysitting' duties in airports, restaurants, doctors' offices, etc. Nationally, FNC pretty much out-rates CNN and MSNBC combined*. Some nights their analysis/opinion programs out-rate even scripted programs on broadcast channels. So rather than assigning sinister motives, maybe it's simply "giving the [most] people what they want".

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-...018-are/372335

Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM

617 posts, read 832,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

Leave it to City-Data forums to turn a thread about a town in Florida into discussions about slavery during the Roman empire.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
Leave it to City-Data forums to turn a thread about a town in Florida into discussions about slavery during the Roman empire.
No kidding. Russia is included as well.

Anyway, the OP hasn't been back to comment since their initial post. Pretty sure it's one of those drive-by posts meant to stir the pot, and they're probably laughing their head off somewhere in their parents' basement. (or den, seeing as how this is Florida and for the most part, we don't got no basements.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida