Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:31 PM

184 posts, read 447,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I often hear the joke, "Old people live in Sarasota and their parents live in Naples."
Thundarr457, I've heard this one a few times as well. I get along with most demographics pretty well, just want to make sure I'm not an oddity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe you need to visit Florida again to get a better feel of living there. If you work from home, you'll want to live in an area with decent and reliable Internet service.

If you visited Florida last summer and saw the red tide on the beaches that have the condos lining the beaches, you absolutely would regret being stuck with a condo there! People have health issues if they are exposed too much to the air around the red tide beaches. Others on the forum have stated that the red tide smell is the worst within 1 mile of the coastline, although the smell can travel up to about 5 to 8 miles from the coastline. When we visited Florida this summer, we went to several beaches that had the red tide to experience what red tide is like. I don't think you'd ever get used to living in an area that has red tide for months with no end.

The other downside to living close to the coastline is the much higher cost of housing, insurance, possible impact of storm surges, flooding, mandatory evacuations, and full hurricane strength. It might be wiser to live a little farther from the beach and drive to the beach when you feel the need.

Naples is a very high cost area. There's less expensive housing in Naples, but those can be close to areas with lots of crime problems.

Have you ever visited Florida in the summertime, when it's hot and very humid? It's one thing to read about the heat and humidity, it's another thing to experience it in person! Some people adapt to the heat and humidity, others never adapt to it.
Thanks davephan. I'm planning another trip. I've looked into some ISPs and it seems fairly well sorted in the areas I've looked.

I've experienced the red tide on one of my visits. Eye watering, coughing, & irritation. Definitely a concern of mine.

I'm familiar with FL heat. I know what to expect and believe there is a tradeoff wherever you are, well maybe SoCal is the exception but then you have other issues to deal with. The comfortable winters make the hot summers worth it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MD View Post
Eightiesfan- I checked with my former colleagues who have lived in Charleston their whole lives, as well as with a friend who moved their a year ago. They confirmed it is definitely NOT cyclist friendly, and real estate is going through the roof. Most of downtown residential real estate has been converted to commercial so it is very difficult to find affordable yet nice housing and so the town is experiencing urban sprawl. As to winter, you are correct that it does get pretty cold at times. I have spent Thanksgiving and Christmas over the years along the SC coast and I was wearing the same clothes I would have worn in New England though by mid-day it would warm up a bit.
JD_MD, I really appreciate your help! Sounds like we're hearing the same story. I could probably deal with the winters there, it's not too harsh but the cycling issues along with the price increase in the RE market makes it a tougher sell for me personally. If I'm going to have to deal with oppressive heat and humidity I'd rather not have to deal with cold winters.

Thanks again everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 05:16 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
Thundarr457, I've heard this one a few times as well. I get along with most demographics pretty well, just want to make sure I'm not an oddity.

Thanks davephan. I'm planning another trip. I've looked into some ISPs and it seems fairly well sorted in the areas I've looked.

I've experienced the red tide on one of my visits. Eye watering, coughing, & irritation. Definitely a concern of mine.

I'm familiar with FL heat. I know what to expect and believe there is a tradeoff wherever you are, well maybe SoCal is the exception but then you have other issues to deal with. The comfortable winters make the hot summers worth it IMO.

JD_MD, I really appreciate your help! Sounds like we're hearing the same story. I could probably deal with the winters there, it's not too harsh but the cycling issues along with the price increase in the RE market makes it a tougher sell for me personally. If I'm going to have to deal with oppressive heat and humidity I'd rather not have to deal with cold winters.

Thanks again everyone!
I agree with you about putting up with the heat and humidity in the summertime in Florida is worth not have the cold and the snow in the wintertime, in the snowbelt areas. It can get pretty cold in the panhandle area in the winter. I think you need to be around the Tampa to Orlando latitude or lower. Even in the summertime, in Florida, you can still enjoy the outdoors in the mornings before 10 AM and after 6 PM or 7 PM in the evenings. It’s cold for over 6 months, 24 x 7, in the snowbelt states.

We also researched retirement in Hawaii, but the high cost of living, state income taxes, isolation, and very poor health care services, caused us to eliminate Hawaii. One other factor was the Internet services in Hawaii. There are areas where the high speed Internet is technically available, but all the ports are occupied, so no more customers can be accepted. You might have to call once a day for months to try to get a port that opened up when another customer moved or quit paying their bill. I don’t know why the Internet provider companies in Hawaii don’t simply expand their capacity like normal Internet provider companies. Worse yet, they don’t simply create a “waiting list”, so you have to call them once a day to try to get the freed up port! That’s the only place I’ve ever heard of where the high speed Internet services might not actually be available until you try to subscribe to the service.

If you’re a remote worker, working for a company in a high cost of living area, making higher wages to match the high cost area, it could effectively boost your effective income, living in Florida, if it’s a lower cost area. Most jobs in Florida tend to pay less, some a lot less, but there’s no state income tax in Florida. For retired people, it very attractive to not have to pay state taxes on you pretax retirement account money when you take it out. There’s no state tax on your income stream in retirement, unless your previous state can tax you on the income sourced from their state. But it sounds like you’re probably many years away from your retirement years.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:48 PM

351 posts, read 491,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I often hear the joke, "Old people live in Sarasota and their parents live in Naples."
Old people live in Naples and their parents live in Venice.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:49 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Melbourne/Space Coast area on the East Coast might work for you. There's a younger professional class, and a lot of very, very smart people, scientists, engineers that work at the aerospace and satellite firms and NASA of course. Red Tide is a very infrequent problem on the Atlantic beaches compared to the west coast.

St. Augustine is also a very nice area that is rapidly growing as a bedroom community for Jacksonville. Lots of financial and IT regional offices in Southern Duval County within an easy commute and Mayo Clinic is rapidly expanding. The whole area is booming.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I agree with you about putting up with the heat and humidity in the summertime in Florida is worth not have the cold and the snow in the wintertime, in the snowbelt areas. It can get pretty cold in the panhandle area in the winter. I think you need to be around the Tampa to Orlando latitude or lower. Even in the summertime, in Florida, you can still enjoy the outdoors in the mornings before 10 AM and after 6 PM or 7 PM in the evenings. It’s cold for over 6 months, 24 x 7, in the snowbelt states.

We also researched retirement in Hawaii, but the high cost of living, state income taxes, isolation, and very poor health care services, caused us to eliminate Hawaii. One other factor was the Internet services in Hawaii. There are areas where the high speed Internet is technically available, but all the ports are occupied, so no more customers can be accepted. You might have to call once a day for months to try to get a port that opened up when another customer moved or quit paying their bill. I don’t know why the Internet provider companies in Hawaii don’t simply expand their capacity like normal Internet provider companies. Worse yet, they don’t simply create a “waiting list”, so you have to call them once a day to try to get the freed up port! That’s the only place I’ve ever heard of where the high speed Internet services might not actually be available until you try to subscribe to the service.

If you’re a remote worker, working for a company in a high cost of living area, making higher wages to match the high cost area, it could effectively boost your effective income, living in Florida, if it’s a lower cost area. Most jobs in Florida tend to pay less, some a lot less, but there’s no state income tax in Florida. For retired people, it very attractive to not have to pay state taxes on you pretax retirement account money when you take it out. There’s no state tax on your income stream in retirement, unless your previous state can tax you on the income sourced from their state. But it sounds like you’re probably many years away from your retirement years.
davephan, I completely agree. I'll deal with the heat. The tax aspect is another benefit, thank you for pointing that out. Thanks again for helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
Old people live in Naples and their parents live in Venice.
Sandsam, I've heard that one as well, although the version I heard was old people live in Naples and their parents live in Venice. I see you are a realtor in Naples, any suggestions for interesting, eclectic areas in and around Naples that might work for me? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Melbourne/Space Coast area on the East Coast might work for you. There's a younger professional class, and a lot of very, very smart people, scientists, engineers that work at the aerospace and satellite firms and NASA of course. Red Tide is a very infrequent problem on the Atlantic beaches compared to the west coast.

St. Augustine is also a very nice area that is rapidly growing as a bedroom community for Jacksonville. Lots of financial and IT regional offices in Southern Duval County within an easy commute and Mayo Clinic is rapidly expanding. The whole area is booming.
logybogy, I appreciate the tips, I'll look into the area. Any specific areas you think I might prefer? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:14 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Quote:
logybogy, I appreciate the tips, I'll look into the area. Any specific areas you think I might prefer? Thanks for the help.
I would suggest looking at the Brevard County/Space Coast Forum and the Jacksonville forum for ideas. There are lots of options. A lot of people really like the north St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra Beach areas south of Jacksonville.

On the Space Coast, you have lots of options. Melbourne, the barrier islands on the beach like Satellite Beach, Cocoa Beach offer various homes and condos within walking distance to the beach.

My suggestion is to do a lot of research and then plan a trip checking out different parts of Florida but my personal opinion is between the heavy retiree demographics of Naples and Sarasota and the environmental issues with red tide that you might like the Atlantic/East Coast better.

There's also Jupiter in Northern Palm Beach County if you want proximity to a major urban area of 6 Million+ (Southeast Florida) and all that entails along with a more relaxed environment. That area is beautiful if you can afford it.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:55 PM

490 posts, read 583,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
St. Petersburg. Because of your age. Naples and Sarasota are retirement areas for the wealthy and are much older demographically. Sanibel is unbelievably expensive. There’s much more to do as a young person and you still have some incredible beaches in Pinellas County. I don’t think of it so much as St. Petersburg because all the different towns all run together. I have lived on the east side of the county and the beach side, and prefer prefer the southern end of the county on the beach (Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach, Pass a Grille). The towns of Gulfport and Pasadena are nearby and I like that area as well.

Red tide is a concern as well as sea level rise. Not enough to not relocate, IMO. It was bad when I arrived in October and now that it’s cooler, it’s pretty much gone. They also do an excellent job of cleaning the beaches of the dead fish and seaweed. Well, they have to, if they want the tourists to keep coming back.

Basically, you need to fly in to Tampa and drive down 75 to see them all. Traverse Pinellas County. Each area is different. You just want to stay near the water whichever side you’re on. But unless you love golf and wearing pastel golf clothes, I doubt you’ll end up in Naples or Sarasota. Good luck!
Because of age? You might not realize generation X came after the baby boomers. Generation X were born from about 1964 to 1984.

Sort of forgotten as a generation because it was smaller. Just like many people think it went from the greatest generation to the baby boomers and totally forget the silent generation which are checking out now. After the greatest generation came the silent generation. To young for WWII and barely caught the korean conflict. Not alot of the greatest generation around these parts anymore, Bush HW was one.

Generally though I agree the areas south of Tampa on the coast are designed for older well off generations. Some pretty places though.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 AM

333 posts, read 239,885 times
Quote:
I'm interested in learning more about these areas and I'm looking for others opinions on the best fit for me. I'm also open to other areas in Florida if you think someplace not mentioned may be a better option. I've read all of the older threads and think I have a better understanding but didn't see any posts from people in my age bracket and situation. I've read all the stats and demographics but some things can't be conveyed in numbers. I'm interested in the feel of each area. I've spent a bit of time in all 3, I've heard the stereotypes of all 3 but I'm still curious and want to learn more.

Gen Xer, bringing jobs with but will want PT/side gigs or volunteer opportunities to get involved locally. Cycling fanatic, enjoy the outdoors, healthy food, lifestyle, etc. I like the heat, well aware of the brutal humidity and long summers.

I had thought I wanted to be on Sanibel, Siesta Key, or Anna Maria Island but have since decided that's probably not best for full time day to day living. I think mainland living will be more practical, less frustrating and a better choice than the islands. Any thoughts on that?

I picture Naples as smaller, older, wealthier, more of a boutique town. I like the more tropical look and feel of the farther south location. It seems very manicured, lush and comfortable but perhaps a bit one dimensional. Polished and upscale.

Sarasota seems to be the happy medium. A bit larger than Naples with maybe more to offer, perhaps a more well rounded place. Still looks pleasant and has a nice feel with easy beach access. A bit younger but still heavily influenced by the snowbird population.

St. Pete feels more familiar to me. Younger, more urban, less tropical. It feels less like vacation and more like my idea of semi urban day to day living. Less obvious wealth, less polished, more diverse economically and socially. Easier access to a wider variety of things being part of a larger metro. Aesthetically not as polished.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these generalizations.

Would the red tide issue be enough to make you avoid Florida all together?

What do you see as the positives and negatives of each area?

Which area do you feel will fare best economically moving forward?

Any obvious details I'm overlooking?

Any other areas you feel may be a better fit? I've looked into Charleston, SC & Savannah, GA as well. I like them both but not sure they are the right place for me. People have suggested St. Augustine and areas farther north in the panhandle as well. I don't know much about these areas but think they may be too small and remote for what I'm looking for.

What area would you choose and why?

Thanks to all who reply, I appreciate your time and willingness to help.

I live in Sarasota and I like it. Im 27 and it definitely has an older feel. There seems to be a decent amount going on. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably have picked St. Pete to live . It is a bit younger, but more than that, I get the sense that people in St. Pete really like where they live . It seems to be a more vibrant and active community overall . Sarasota is mostly retirees fleeing midwest weather, and people generally keep to themselves.

If you are ok with the heat and humidity, I dont think I would avoid Florida simply for the red tide .

I think St. Pete would fare better economically being tied to the Tampa metro area.

I would say to me, it seems like the other way around . St Pete feels like a better day to day lifestyle city, Sarasota/Naples feel way more vacation and retiree centric.

I also love cycling and I think that St. Pete has a more active cycling community. They also seem to have better bike infrastructure with protected bike lanes, etc. In Sarasota, you are taking your life into your own hands on a bike.

That being said, I think youd be fine in Sarasota or St. Pete. Im giving the edge to St. Pete based on your interests.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I would suggest looking at the Brevard County/Space Coast Forum and the Jacksonville forum for ideas. There are lots of options. A lot of people really like the north St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra Beach areas south of Jacksonville.

On the Space Coast, you have lots of options. Melbourne, the barrier islands on the beach like Satellite Beach, Cocoa Beach offer various homes and condos within walking distance to the beach.

My suggestion is to do a lot of research and then plan a trip checking out different parts of Florida but my personal opinion is between the heavy retiree demographics of Naples and Sarasota and the environmental issues with red tide that you might like the Atlantic/East Coast better.

There's also Jupiter in Northern Palm Beach County if you want proximity to a major urban area of 6 Million+ (Southeast Florida) and all that entails along with a more relaxed environment. That area is beautiful if you can afford it.
logybogy, thanks for the tips. I'll look into these areas you mention. I appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
Because of age? You might not realize generation X came after the baby boomers. Generation X were born from about 1964 to 1984.

Sort of forgotten as a generation because it was smaller. Just like many people think it went from the greatest generation to the baby boomers and totally forget the silent generation which are checking out now. After the greatest generation came the silent generation. To young for WWII and barely caught the korean conflict. Not alot of the greatest generation around these parts anymore, Bush HW was one.

Generally though I agree the areas south of Tampa on the coast are designed for older well off generations. Some pretty places though.
Thanks for chiming in mph101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
I live in Sarasota and I like it. Im 27 and it definitely has an older feel. There seems to be a decent amount going on. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably have picked St. Pete to live . It is a bit younger, but more than that, I get the sense that people in St. Pete really like where they live . It seems to be a more vibrant and active community overall . Sarasota is mostly retirees fleeing midwest weather, and people generally keep to themselves.

If you are ok with the heat and humidity, I dont think I would avoid Florida simply for the red tide .

I think St. Pete would fare better economically being tied to the Tampa metro area.

I would say to me, it seems like the other way around . St Pete feels like a better day to day lifestyle city, Sarasota/Naples feel way more vacation and retiree centric.

I also love cycling and I think that St. Pete has a more active cycling community. They also seem to have better bike infrastructure with protected bike lanes, etc. In Sarasota, you are taking your life into your own hands on a bike.

That being said, I think youd be fine in Sarasota or St. Pete. Im giving the edge to St. Pete based on your interests.
kombuchaluchador, this is great info and exactly what I'm trying to learn about the areas that you just can't get with stats. What you mention about the vibe in St. Pete is what I'm looking for. These are things that are really hard to gather on a trip vs living there.

What areas of Sarasota do you like the most? Any certain neighborhoods or areas that stand out as a better fit for somebody with my interests?

Any thoughts on the cycling scene and overall feel of the areas farther south towards Naples?

I really appreciate the help, thanks!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 AM

333 posts, read 239,885 times
Quote:
logybogy, thanks for the tips. I'll look into these areas you mention. I appreciate your help.

Thanks for chiming in mph101.

kombuchaluchador, this is great info and exactly what I'm trying to learn about the areas that you just can't get with stats. What you mention about the vibe in St. Pete is what I'm looking for. These are things that are really hard to gather on a trip vs living there.

What areas of Sarasota do you like the most? Any certain neighborhoods or areas that stand out as a better fit for somebody with my interests?

Any thoughts on the cycling scene and overall feel of the areas farther south towards Naples?

I really appreciate the help, thanks!
Glad to help! I'd probably recommend areas closer to downtown, Rosemary District, Gillespie Park, etc. The area around Sarasota Memorial Hospital is also pretty nice. There is a coworking space called The Hub near downtown that is pretty cool and might be worth checking out. I know a few people in Gulf Gate area who really like it.

If you are interested, there is a brewery called Big Top that does running/cycling events during the week. You can win prizes and get discounts, etc.

Im not sure what the scene is like in Naples, but St Pete definitely has the best cycling scene. There are bike shops aplenty and even a bike themed coffee shop (The Bikery) and a bike themed brewery (Cycle). They also have an awesome co working/tea/yoga space called Station House that is super cool.

As far as cycling scene, my gut ranking would be St Pete > Sarasota > Naples. Sarasota also has a pretty active cycling community.

They both have good healthy eating scenes. Fresh Kitchen is your friend. A lot of good vegan options in St Pete. Ive been pretty impressed with the access of healthy grocery stores in both places, Earth Origins, Richards Foodporium, Detweilers, etc in Sarasota are great.

Good luck on the search. Like I said, I think you'd be happy in either St Pete or Sarasota. Just depends on if you are more interested in an urban or more suburban experience.

Last edited by kombuchaluchador; 12-13-2018 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Added food options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida