Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:55 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,573,341 times

Advertisements

There are dozens of dispensaries in Fl...and have been for years. They are opening new ones at the rate of a couple a month.

The biggest company doing it just announced the purchase of the biggest dispensary operator in MA (where it has been legal or decrim for a decade) and also purchased 100's of acres of land near Gainesville.

What I think the issue is now is that Florida had silly rules saying that you could use heavy-duty THC liquids, but you could not vape it. Really silly. My dad, in his 80's, went and got a card to see if it would help pain and other things. The card does NOT allow him to buy a vape pen...which is really what he needs (drops are hard to dose, while vaping you know instantly whether you want/need more, etc.)....

I think that is the issue at hand now.....only a few select docs and conditions allow smoking or vaping. Meanwhile, in MA Joe Citizen can walk in any of many places (over 21) and buy a $35 vape pen which is 100 low doses....

That's cheap. The equiv of maybe 1/2 a glass of wine for 35 or 40 cents.

Anyway, it would be silly (and illegal) for me to send my dad a pen when he spent good money on doctors and should be putting his $ into the Florida coffers. Hopefully the legislature will do away with this silly rule post haste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Still many unanswered questions concerning smokeable cannabis. How much will a patient be allowed?
And what about a garden?
Other states have allowed growing for a decade or more...but it's possible Florida will not as they tend to be more "corporate" here and it's harder to imagine (unless they are lobbied) them wanted to hurt the companies that are investing 100's of millions.

The amounts being allowed are vastly more than any average person or patient would want or need.

There are questions of whether they will truly decrim....in MA. many people have decided, even with the stores, to still buy from their local dealers. The Police really don't get involved unless we are talking really large amounts or operations. But Florida tends to like LE...from the over-ticketing to all other such things. They haven't yet come to the realization of how much the Drug Wars are costing them...

Florida will come around. The old Churchill saying is apt "Americans will always do the right thing - AFTER all other possibilities have been exhausted"

:-)

Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM

361 posts, read 254,535 times
You'd think a moderate next step would be allowing vaping next and leave smoking to the recreational use
debate.

I'm looking into trying MM, but it costs $250-300 to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There are dozens of dispensaries in Fl...and have been for years. They are opening new ones at the rate of a couple a month.

The biggest company doing it just announced the purchase of the biggest dispensary operator in MA (where it has been legal or decrim for a decade) and also purchased 100's of acres of land near Gainesville.

What I think the issue is now is that Florida had silly rules saying that you could use heavy-duty THC liquids, but you could not vape it. Really silly. My dad, in his 80's, went and got a card to see if it would help pain and other things. The card does NOT allow him to buy a vape pen...which is really what he needs (drops are hard to dose, while vaping you know instantly whether you want/need more, etc.)....

I think that is the issue at hand now.....only a few select docs and conditions allow smoking or vaping. Meanwhile, in MA Joe Citizen can walk in any of many places (over 21) and buy a $35 vape pen which is 100 low doses....

Anyway, it would be silly (and illegal) for me to send my dad a pen when he spent good money on doctors and should be putting his $ into the Florida coffers. Hopefully the legislature will do away with this silly rule post haste.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
You'd think a moderate next step would be allowing vaping next and leave smoking to the recreational use
debate.

I'm looking into trying MM, but it costs $250-300 to try.
You can probably get a vape pen from a buddy or a friends friend.

I agree with your premise. Smoking sux anyway (throat, etc.), IMHO, and the pens don't smell and keep things at a low temp.

I have done a LOT of research....in addition to my teen years experience. Decent CBD really works quite well for some - we (wifey and I) definitely felt it. Sunsoil is one good (legal) brand...all CBD is not equal. For $30 or so you can order a bottle and give it a shot.

The THC part - that's more nuanced. Many people simply don't like the feeling of the high (I count myself among those). It doesn't really seem to stop or help with pain (IMHO) of many types.

Truth be told, although there are medicinal uses I think the MM thing was largely a construct by NORML and the other stoners to make it legal. Hey, it finally worked..and now that so much money is being poured into it, they will have better medical science and botany to separate out the "right" parts.

Happy Trails.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:12 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,823,556 times
Likely Maryland or Virginia will be the first southern state to legalize pot for recreation use. Then it'll be FL or NC followed by GA or TX after. By 2030, a handful of states down here will legalize it completely. 2020s decade will be one to watch for this.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Likely Maryland or Virginia will be the first southern state to legalize pot for recreation use. Then it'll be FL or NC followed by GA or TX after. By 2030, a handful of states down here will legalize it completely. 2020s decade will be one to watch for this.
If Florida was proactive and got the jump on it they could pull in 100's of millions in new tax revenue and billions in economic activity. Heck, they could put a "Anti-Red Tide" tax on it.

Florida is all about pleasure anyway (for tourism) so why not provide one more? Well, neither of us are in the Legislator, so it probably won't happen.

Florida could even market brands nationally because people perceive it as sunny and warm....and they still think Pot is grown that way. Branding. Florida - the StoneShine state.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,220,832 times
Quote:
If Florida was proactive and got the jump on it they could pull in 100's of millions in new tax revenue and billions in economic activity. Heck, they could put a "Anti-Red Tide" tax on it.

Florida is all about pleasure anyway (for tourism) so why not provide one more? Well, neither of us are in the Legislator, so it probably won't happen.

Florida could even market brands nationally because people perceive it as sunny and warm....and they still think Pot is grown that way. Branding. Florida - the StoneShine state.
Disney will fight recreational tooth and nail the way they did the recent gambling amendment

Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,119,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Disney will fight recreational tooth and nail the way they did the recent gambling amendment
Disney will fight it if they cant cash in. When they decide they have marketable brands they will be all in. Micky, Mini and D. Duck should be killer brands They have a fuduciary duty to their stock holders to max profits. You dont max profits by missing the next wave of products to market. If disney sits this product out their board of directors should be replaced.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:55 PM

361 posts, read 254,535 times
Just went through the Florida MM approval process. Maybe things have changed, but I had no problem selecting between disposable or refillable vape pens, with (supposedly) THC only. If your Dad's MM card hasn't expired, he may want to call back into his recommending Dr. and get his order updated.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida