Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,282 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in purchasing a retirement home in Winter Haven. We’ve looked at the 55+ community called Traditions at Lake Ruby. Looking for information on Lake Ruby, including size, depth and fishing. We like to catch and eat fish, not just catch and release. Does anyone know if the Traditions community/HOA allows you to have/store a boat at your home? Any other comments on the Traditions Community, Lake Ruby or Winter Haven are appreciated. We are also looking at communities closer to the gulf, including Sarasota and Apollo Beach. Thank You.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
I live in Traditions most of the year and have lived in the area for five so maybe I can help a little.

Lake Ruby is around 250 acres. There is no public access so general fishing info is hard to come by and those with access don't talk much. My experience is there are crappies (the only edible species in my opinion), bass, catfish and gar. Lake Bess, about 140 acres, is just to the east and with a bit of push and shove a small boat can go from one to the other.

I'm not aware of any HOA restrictions regarding boats. I would guess that leaving it parked permanently in your driveway might generate a complaint and of course not in the yard. Whatever you can get in the garage they really don't care about but Lennar didn't build the garages "deep" enough for much of a boat. I have a three car garage which holds two cars and a golf cart so I keep my boat in storage - it's surprisingly inexpensive in this area.

I occasionally see some folks fishing in Lake Ruby but they usually appear to be out for a boat ride and someone brought a fishing rod. I know of a couple guys who fish the lily pad areas for bass from kayaks and do OK but there are so many lakes in the area with excellent fishing that even if Lake Ruby was "pretty good" it wouldn't get fished much. A few minutes spent in one of the bait shops in Lake Wales and a couple bucks worth of shiners and I'm off to the current crappie hot spot - they're known as "specks" or speckled perch here.

As far as Traditions goes we think it's great. Very quiet and overall very friendly neighbors. Nice facilities including a boat ramp and a few slips, heated pools that you normally have all to yourself, and all manner of activities if you're interested. The residents have very varied approaches to retirement and it's obvious by looking at their garage when the door is open. Some have just the one or two cars, nothing else in there but the garbage can. At the other extreme are a couple guys who have fully equipped auto repair facilities. There are a number of really nice home built custom cars around. There are a few with screen garage doors (very popular here) and there are often two, three or more folks just drinking beer and swapping lies. The HOA is strict enough to keep the neighborhood nice without becoming a burden.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 PM

231 posts, read 156,319 times
Do not move to Winter Haven. Tons of sprawl and not safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida