Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:20 PM

22 posts, read 22,176 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to Florida in a few years at retirement (who isn't, right?). So, I've been researching...

I recently learned about FL's sinkholes and have been browsing database maps that show MANY sinkholes in the areas that we are considering. At first glance, the number of them is very alarming, but the maps show incidents dating way back to the 1950's.

Are sinkholes really that much of a concern? Do locals really worry much about it? I've been concerned about it, but then think... Millions of people are choosing to live in Florida! Even along the infamous Sinkhole Alley.

I'm not worried that my home could fall into a sinkhole (which normal insurance would cover, right?). I'm more concerned about a potential loss of value, even if issues are repairable. Would someone purchase a home that had to be repaired due to a "settling" issue? Or if the next door neighbor has a hole in the middle of their lawn?

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 06:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBSoli View Post
We are planning to relocate to Florida in a few years at retirement (who isn't, right?). So, I've been researching...

I recently learned about FL's sinkholes and have been browsing database maps that show MANY sinkholes in the areas that we are considering. At first glance, the number of them is very alarming, but the maps show incidents dating way back to the 1950's.

Are sinkholes really that much of a concern? Do locals really worry much about it? I've been concerned about it, but then think... Millions of people are choosing to live in Florida! Even along the infamous Sinkhole Alley.

I'm not worried that my home could fall into a sinkhole (which normal insurance would cover, right?). I'm more concerned about a potential loss of value, even if issues are repairable. Would someone purchase a home that had to be repaired due to a "settling" issue? Or if the next door neighbor has a hole in the middle of their lawn?

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Many sinkholes are minimal, though not all. Insurance does not cover it unless you add it to the policy in most cases. Loss of value probably varies as it depends how close a sinkhole is now and if your home does have a problem, it will impact potentially even the ability to sell it. I moved to FL in an area where sinkholes are a non issue.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
For most of Florida I wouldn’t worry.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:04 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
We dont live in an area with sink holes. I would not buy a house in a neighborhhood/area with a sinkhole. I would be concerned about my house being swallowed up by a sinkhole. The amount of water being pumped out of the Floridan aquafer for urban areas and agriculture is huge and may increase the risk of new sinkholes forming. Ask a Florida insurance agent about sinkhole coverage.

That said, in my neighborhood hurricanes are the most likely natural disaster and we have experienced damage from Matthew and minor damage in Irma. Tampa fo Orlando is lightning alley. Some places tornadoes are the biggest risk. In Florida you pick the area because you like it and can deal with the natural disaters of that area.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I live in sink hole heaven. So any crack in a block wall would be called a sinkhole in my area so people could get free money from the Ins comps. It was very bad in west Pasco around 2002 to around 2008.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
No worries in S Fla...Of course there are other States with the same problemo, a few with high incidence of the cave ins are Tx,Al, Mo, Ky, Tn and Pa.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM

22 posts, read 22,176 times
Guess I'm now thinking... At this early stage of researching areas, why not focus on areas where the the odds are more in my favor? Or at least not stacked so much against me?

It just feels strange to rule out areas where millions of people are happily living.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBSoli View Post
Guess I'm now thinking... At this early stage of researching areas, why not focus on areas where the the odds are more in my favor? Or at least not stacked so much against me?

It just feels strange to rule out areas where millions of people are happily living.
You might find this interesting. It is about The Villages.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...mic-180969158/

Keep in mind sinkholes can be the size of a hub cap. Large ones occur but are rare. Notice what counties are an issue.

The Villages shouldn't be singled out when it comes to sinkholes. Marion and Lake, the two counties that The Villages pokes into, are #4 and #10, respectively, on RiskMeter’s 2011 list of the most sinkhole-prone counties in Florida. Number one is Pasco, which abuts Sumter to the south. Last summer a 260-foot-wide sinkhole yawned underneath a Pasco neighborhood, consuming two homes and condemning seven more, making it the county’s largest in 30 years. That massive chasm rivaled the epic Winter Park sinkhole in Orange County—#8 for RiskMeter, an online tool providing hazard analysis for insurers.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Great article on sinkholes and the Villages. Usually when you hear about the Villages it is about the extrememly high rate of VD. Sinkholes are a second reason to worry avout living in the Villages.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

https://floridadep.gov/fgs/sinkholes...t/sinkhole-faq

Also, Commercial web sites abound about availability of homeowner sink hole insurance, this is an example, not a personal recommendation on this site/info, just an example when you google sinkhole insurance

https://www.pendaslaw.com/a-brief-re...ance-coverage/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: