Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM

97 posts, read 395,774 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving back to Florida, any pros and cons to Lakeland? How's crime? shopping? new homes? What areas to stay away from? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 15,261 times
I'm waiting to see who replies to you. We are also thinking of moving to Lakeland. We were there in December for a visit and loved it. We are from Oregon, so it would be a total change. While waiting I will check out the other threds. Good luck. D

Old 04-25-2008, 03:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Hi there. There aren't many on these forums who live in Lakeland and post, I am one of the few. If you do a search on my posts you will find a lot of info on Lakeland.

This is a beautiful, fabulous town to live in. We have lots of cultural amenities and venues, great community parks, and restaurants and shopping that will rival much larger towns.

In general, best areas are in town, South Lakeland, and some areas far north. Stay away from the areas just north of town, and also don't go too far out east from there either. These are just general guidelines. When you come here, you can pretty much see what areas are not the best.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGibson View Post
I'm waiting to see who replies to you. We are also thinking of moving to Lakeland. We were there in December for a visit and loved it. We are from Oregon, so it would be a total change. While waiting I will check out the other threds. Good luck. D
Im also considering moving to Florida next year. I have been to Lakeland recently and in past years and it is a nice town. In fact I felt it had changed quite a bit since I had last visited several years ago. It seems very self contained I felt ,with plenty of shopping and more restaurants are there now. I spoke to some people I met there, who had relocated to Lakeland from elsewhere and they spoke of how people from other areas had been moving there more than ever. That made me feel good, I rather relocate to an area that draws from all over for its population. I felt it had alot to offer, more than many other places I have seen in the state for a lower cost. I like its downtown and its smaller town feeling than many of the sprawled out cities of Florida. Im not sure myself if I will choose Lakeland, some of the towns around it, I sort of felt out of place. Im not sure if that feeling would carry over to Lakeland, so Im going to be researching different areas of the state. I do think though that Lakeland is one of the better choices in Florida. Just do yourself a favor and don't try to compare it to Oregon or it would never work. They are more different than night and day ,but you already know that, so you will be ok. Good Luck.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Im also considering moving to Florida next year. I have been to Lakeland recently and in past years and it is a nice town. In fact I felt it had changed quite a bit since I had last visited several years ago. It seems very self contained I felt ,with plenty of shopping and more restaurants are there now. I spoke to some people I met there, who had relocated to Lakeland from elsewhere and they spoke of how people from other areas had been moving there more than ever. That made me feel good, I rather relocate to an area that draws from all over for its population. I felt it had alot to offer, more than many other places I have seen in the state for a lower cost. I like its downtown and its smaller town feeling than many of the sprawled out cities of Florida. Im not sure myself if I will choose Lakeland, some of the towns around it, I sort of felt out of place. Im not sure if that feeling would carry over to Lakeland, so Im going to be researching different areas of the state. I do think though that Lakeland is one of the better choices in Florida. Just do yourself a favor and don't try to compare it to Oregon or it would never work. They are more different than night and day ,but you already know that, so you will be ok. Good Luck.
Hey jimrob, I'm not sure if you meant you felt out of place in Lakeland or elsewhere, but I can tell you we have people here from ALL OVER, as well as many who have been here for decades; and we also have a fair amount of diversity with people from many other countries represented. Everyone here gets along with everyone and is very friendly and accepting. Most people here just love it, and that includes the many young people we have here due to it being a college town with about 10 small colleges.

I also want to mention that we have a very nice bus transit system, best one I've seen in Florida with increasing ridership. We also have a gorgeous new open-air mall that looks like something out of a fancy California town. The MUVICO theatres there are art deco style with all kinds of multi-color neon! As you can probably tell, I love this place!

If any of you have any more specific questions feel free to post or DM me personally.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:58 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Cool Another Lakeland Wannabee from Oregon

My house if finally "on the market" and after it sells (note my optimism) I'll be visiting Lakeland for possible relocation. I need to live close to a fabulous Fitness Center with an indoor swimming pool (if possible) or else in a "community" with a Rec Center & Pool, ETC. Any recommendations, in or around Lakeland ?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:28 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
My house if finally "on the market" and after it sells (note my optimism) I'll be visiting Lakeland for possible relocation. I need to live close to a fabulous Fitness Center with an indoor swimming pool (if possible) or else in a "community" with a Rec Center & Pool, ETC. Any recommendations, in or around Lakeland ?
I have seen a Golds Gym in south Lakeland, and my family is a member of the South Lakeland YMCA (which is one of the niceest Y's I have ever been too). And thats not just because of the physical appearence, but also because of the people that go there. The Y has an indoor and outdoor pool. Plus plenty of your typical gym equiptment (machines and free weights alike).

Old 04-26-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
The City of Lakeland's Kelly Recreation Center is on the southside and has a large pool - the city is also in the process of expanding this center. I think you will have plenty of options when the time comes.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 AM

36 posts, read 108,852 times
Default also looking at Lakeland

i too have been looking at lakeland especially because it seems to be halfway between Orlando and Tampa. I was particularly intetrested in the comments that it has numerous small colleges. I like that mix. I am looking for a lot to build a cement house on. I have come across 1/2 acre lots seemingly in good location but had to reconsider them when I found them to be "relaxed deed restrictions" which basically meant mobile homes. I like to more rural type environment but can't afford and don't want a community with many HOA restrctions. any suggestion on zipcodes to look at in the area would be welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida