Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:18 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,215,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out the Honda Clarity. It's the size of an Accord and retails for around 37K.
Used model S now goes for as low as $40-45k as does the less expensive model 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 AM

25,161 posts, read 12,317,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns55 View Post
I think your point is being missed here. Gas taxes are one of the largest sources of money for paved roads. Tolls help only for the roads that have tolls, and sales tax paid on the purchase price don't really help. Most of that money goes into the general fund.

As it stands now, electric car owners are getting away with not paying for the infrastructure. This will and must change, and I'm sure most of us won't like how the change will manifest itself. Especially people driving ICE cars.
expatCA said above that there is a tax upon purchase, maintenence, and battery replacement. Can anyone else confirm this? If that is true, problem solved.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out the Honda Clarity. It's the size of an Accord and retails for around 37K.
Thx! That's a price point I can deal with when the time comes. It would be so cool to not have to ever stop at a gas station again...unless to put air in my tires.

I see these electric car charging staions all over now...are they free?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:24 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most road maintenance and improvement funding comes from gasoline taxes. Since electric car owners do not pay any of these gasoline taxes, should they be taxed for road use?

I hate new taxes, and I'm on the fence on this one. It seems unfair that they skate by on paying for roads. I realize I could buy an electric car too, and I've been considering it for a while now, but I'd hate to buy one based upon the current math model only to have the model's inputs change.

I like Tesla's, but they are very expensive, especially now that some of the tax credits have expired. I like the Nissan Leaf, but they are too small for us. I'm watching the marketplace for new electric cars.

What do you think about the tax?
Ok, stop the insanity......... Nobody is cross shopping a Tesla and a Leaf!

What about taxes on the electric bill? Storm fees, utility tax, franchise charge, gross receipts tax are all line items on a electric bill. Should gas car owners be charged for those things? After all, can't pump gas without electricity!

How about a guy that fills up his boat at the gas station? All that fuel, yet the boat isn't burning any of it on the roadway! Should he get a rebate on his gas taxes?

I'd bet boats/jet skis burn more fuel purchased on land than electric cars would consume if they were gas powered so it negates the need for an additional tax.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They pay a tax on the purchase price and then on maintenance and if a n electric motor or the batteries go bad, the sales tax on that is huge. The State could maybe add a tax to electric car parts, including for hybrids, for road repair.
I need some clarification please. Do electric car buyers pay more in taxes upon purchase than a gas car?

If both cars cost $50,000, is the sales tax the same, or do electric car buyers pay extra?

Do they pay an added tax over and above the normal sales tax rate for batteries, & service?

Old 02-03-2019, 11:58 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

What about taxes on the electric bill? Storm fees, utility tax, franchise charge, gross receipts tax are all line items on a electric bill. Should gas car owners be charged for those things? After all, can't pump gas without electricity!
The electricity price to operate the pumps is part of the price the person pays for gas. In any case, it does not go towards the roads. Electric cars are depending upon fuel purchases so they have a road to drive on. A surcharge on electric cars during registration will assist electric cars in contributing to maintenance of the roads.

Might as well get started now, because what if electric cars make up 30, 50, 90 percent of all cars? How are the funds going to come in to maintain roads?

Quote:
How about a guy that fills up his boat at the gas station? All that fuel, yet the boat isn't burning any of it on the roadway! Should he get a rebate on his gas taxes?

I'd bet boats/jet skis burn more fuel purchased on land than electric cars would consume if they were gas powered so it negates the need for an additional tax.
Many states you do get a refund for the road taxes paid on fuel for boats. For states that do not have this, it is because the road tax is actually diverted to marine/boating programs/infrastructure maintenance the state is involved in.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,215,836 times
Quote:

Good points

Old 02-03-2019, 02:52 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,625,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The electricity price to operate the pumps is part of the price the person pays for gas. In any case, it does not go towards the roads. Electric cars are depending upon fuel purchases so they have a road to drive on. A surcharge on electric cars during registration will assist electric cars in contributing to maintenance of the roads.

Might as well get started now, because what if electric cars make up 30, 50, 90 percent of all cars? How are the funds going to come in to maintain roads?

Many states you do get a refund for the road taxes paid on fuel for boats. For states that do not have this, it is because the road tax is actually diverted to marine/boating programs/infrastructure maintenance the state is involved in.

I live in an affluent area. I have 3 neighbors with electric cars (3 teslas/1 BMW I8). In just a 3 block radius, lets say there are 60 homes. 3 of 60 households have electric cars (5%). But in that same 60 household sample there are atleast 120 if not 150 gas cars. (3 of 120 is 2.5%, 3 of 150 is 2%). So 30-50-90 is way off in the future.

Fuel refunds? How would they know if you bought the fuel on land for your boat (on a trailer) or just pumped it in your car. Seems like it is ripe for fraud.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
I need some clarification please. Do electric car buyers pay more in taxes upon purchase than a gas car?

If both cars cost $50,000, is the sales tax the same, or do electric car buyers pay extra?

Do they pay an added tax over and above the normal sales tax rate for batteries, & service?
My thought was to pay an amount above on the purchase and specific parts only an electric car would need and the funds go to the highway fund as thy still drive on it. The State would still benefit and the owner would still save on not buying gas or if a hybrid not as much gas.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
expatCA said above that there is a tax upon purchase, maintenence, and battery replacement. Can anyone else confirm this? If that is true, problem solved.
Not a tax for such now, but the addition of it would help road costs for the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: