Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 AM

93 posts, read 385,995 times

Advertisements

I know there is a drought right now, but need to ask. When you are not in a drought, do you tend to have a lot of flower gardens in your homes?

I hope to move to the sw area of Florida soon. I just love flowers, and a pretty garden. I presently live in the state of Wa. we have some lush flowers and gardens here.

I just figured yours would be more so, when not in a drought?? True, or am I way off on this? If not, please let me know how you pretty up your yards.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Sure you can have nice gardens here you just need to know what to plant and where, there are plenty of things online about florida gardening.

I am currently working on a garden right now getting ready for the warmer weather.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Talking Go native!

Keep in mind that it's not just a drought, but we have serious water supply issues in Florida (as does Georgia, Nevada, and countless other states).

Florida cities are getting stricter and stricter about water usage, and rightly so.

The new direction in gardening is to use native plants that need very little water. There are some beautiful native plants in Florida, many of them flowers.

There are a lot of great native plant books out there, but an excellent primer is:

Natural Florida Landscaping
by Dan Walton & Laurel Schiller

Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Look for a housing area that has reclaimed water for watering your lawn and garden beds. There are less restrictions and you can feel better about using water that is not used for drinking. It helps with the water bill as well.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,478 times
The University of Florida has a world of information on Florida gardening. And SW Florida likely produces lots of tropical plants that we can't have here in Central Florida (or farther north). I wish I could grow a Royal Poinciana tree here, they are absolutely breathtaking...but we're in zone 9, too many chances for frost. Maybe in SW Florida you could have one!

Lawn & Garden - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life

Old 04-09-2008, 03:43 PM

There are some non native plants that are hardy like the plumbago it has really nice blue flowers. others that do well here are Dahlberg Daisy's, torenia, pentas, lantana, Gazania and marigolds. Philodendron, and elephant ears have nice large leaves.

Don`t forget daylilies the bloom all spring and summer.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Thanks to all of you for the helpful information. I just wish I could grow another " Monkey Puzzle Tree", but it does not look like those grow there. No matter, I will find some of your natural grown trees.

I will sure consider a home with reclaim water. I will check out the links provided as well.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward48 View Post
Thanks to all of you for the helpful information. I just wish I could grow another " Monkey Puzzle Tree", but it does not look like those grow there. No matter, I will find some of your natural grown trees.

I will sure consider a home with reclaim water. I will check out the links provided as well.

Anything that needs to over winter like lilacs or tulips forget about they wont survive here but there are so many things that do I`m sure you will have fun starting from scratch with your new garden.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
There are some non native plants that are hardy like the plumbago it has really nice blue flowers. others that do well here are Dahlberg Daisy's, torenia, pentas, lantana, Gazania and marigolds. Philodendron, and elephant ears have nice large leaves.

Don`t forget daylilies the bloom all spring and summer.

I will look these up, as well as the "Royal Poinciana Tree".

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,662 times
My big battle is with bugs! They eat everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: