Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a friend that is thinking about trading his home here Cookeville Tennessee for a home in Florida. His home is a 3 bedroom with one bath on two or more acres. The house is around 1700 sq. Ft. with a basement. He's wanting a house if Florida that has low property taxes and the cost of living is cheap.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 PM

63 posts, read 390,221 times
John,

Unfortunately there is no place in Florida that is cheap at all. Every single thing you do here cost more than in some resort communities I have been to. The taxes are horrible, Insurance is impossible and the over all cost to do anything is stupid high.

I am not telling you this to keep you away from here. If you want to come on down. I just wish someone would have told me before I came here.

There is a good website that will help you with this question.
http://fasrelo.com/

You could also look at CNN money website for additional information. If you look at the overall statistics of people moving into or out of Florida the tide has changed in the last year due to the over whelming number of homes on the market here in that there are as many people moving out of Florida than is moving into Florida. It has been many years since that has been the case here.

Look up www.Realtor.com (broken link) and entwer the name of the town you are thinking about and look at the prices of the homes here. I think you will be shocked at what homes cost here. Cheap and Florida will never be used in the same sentence properly. (I know, never say never right?)

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
What is the appraised value of his home? As a general rule, Tennessee houses are 2/3 the value of north FL homes(avoid south FL) so he would either need to pony up lots of cash in the trade or be looking into a smaller house, say 1200 feet on a smaller lot as well. I personally dont think its worth the trade unless Florida eliminates prop. taxes. TN is a nice location with low taxes as is.

Quote:
Look up Realtor and enter the name of the town you are thinking about and look at the prices of the homes here. I think you will be shocked at what homes cost here. Cheap and Florida will never be used in the same sentence properly. (I know, never say never right?)

I second that. Even north FL is way too expensive unless you are rich and eliminating prop. taxes will help alot too. Nothing wrong with north FL but I can get a house for 2/3 the price in TN or as little as 1/4th the price in parts of OH, WV and PA. Yes it can get cold up north but ill take the cold over the FL hurricanes anyday.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:44 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Hi, This friend lives on social security disability and lives alone and is 62 years old. His home is around $130,000. He said he can live in a house or house trailer that is less then 900 sq. ft. with no problem. This guy can live on $50.00 a month in food. He wants a place big enough to grow a small garden.

Thanks, John

Old 02-27-2007, 02:51 PM

63 posts, read 390,221 times
I do not want to say it is impossible but I will say you have your work cut out for you.

If you look in Cape Coral you may find a small home that will have an area for a small garden. You will have to look very hard for a home in that price range. There are thousands of foreclosures in that area. You may try looking at foreclosures first.

Cape Coral is north of Naples ( way expensive) north of Fort Myers (very expensive). There are some homes in Cape Coral that might work for you.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, This friend lives on social security disability and lives alone and is 62 years old. His home is around $130,000. He said he can live in a house or house trailer that is less then 900 sq. ft. with no problem. This guy can live on $50.00 a month in food. He wants a place big enough to grow a small garden.

Thanks, John
I think he should look into the more rural parts of Florida, from Central Florida northward. Does he know certain parts of Florida well? Otherwise, get a good map of Florida and do what the other guys have said, go to realtor.com and see what price homes are in small town areas. He could then maybe place an ad in local newspapers or on craigslist.com. If he would seriously consider a mobile home, he needs to get a rather new one that meets new codes.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
Quote:
Hi, I have a friend that is thinking about trading his home here Cookeville Tennessee for a home in Florida. His home is a 3 bedroom with one bath on two or more acres. The house is around 1700 sq. Ft. with a basement. He's wanting a house if Florida that has low property taxes and the cost of living is cheap.

Thanks, John

Sounds like the house we have is just for him. It's a small 980 sq/ft 2 bedroom older home with a lake view, quiet neighborhood with mostly retirees for neighbors. He'd fit right in. We pay $650 on taxes each year. We're looking to move to TN as well not because of the high cost of living but just because we want to go back to the 4 seasons and mountains.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:

Thanks, John

I dont think hes gonna survive with the higher costs of living in FL. How will he ever afford the property taxes and hurricane insurance? Why does he even want to move to FL? Even I cant afford FL!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Sounds like the house we have is just for him. It's a small 980 sq/ft 2 bedroom older home with a lake view, quiet neighborhood with mostly retirees for neighbors. He'd fit right in. We pay $650 on taxes each year. We're looking to move to TN as well not because of the high cost of living but just because we want to go back to the 4 seasons and mountains.
So how cool would that be if a swap works out?!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I dont think hes gonna survive with the higher costs of living in FL. How will he ever afford the property taxes and hurricane insurance? Why does he even want to move to FL? Even I cant afford FL!
I'm doing just fine living in FL. I think it's all about where you live and what kind of home you really need. I don't need a huge home. I think some people buy bigger than they need or can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida