Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,755 times

Advertisements

Hello

Moving the family to Port Orange- job in city center. Kids will be entering 2nd and 5th grade. Family is mixed: American/Brazilian. Looking for input/pros and cons on:

-Schools (sweetwater really that great?)
-Neighborhoods (I hear west of 95 floods a lot)
-healthcare
-Wireless providers
-Cable/satellite
-Other

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Healthcare - Florida Health Care Plans (FHCP) is a Blue Cross Blue Shield afflliliated HMO in this area. While you and your family arent over 65, FHCP has a 5 star rated medicare plan. Rating is from Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services which only rates over 65 plans.

You will have all wireless providers. If you want service when you go to the beach, pick a provider that uses either Verizon's network or ATT's network. There are no cell towers beachside. It doesn't have to be the brand name. I use H2O wireless which uses the ATT network, it is cheap and works beachside where I live.

Spectrum and ATT are the two cable providers where I live. Port Orange may have more. It may also depend on the neighborhood. If your neighborhood has underground urilities - the HOA may have an exclusive deal with one provider.

I cant help you with neighborhoods in Port Orange. I think Embry-Riddle University is close by.

Vouluia County education systems goal is to be as low cost as possible. I wouldnt recommend any schools public or private in this area. Our area's main industry is tourism and the education system is geared toward producing labor for reasturants and hotels. Private schools are worse than the public schools. Some private schools dont require their teachers to be licenced by the state and a private school teacher with 26 students in their class makes about $22,000 a year. That is less than $1000 per student. Look for the best public school you can find and remember their goal is not high SAT scores. Getting your kids in non-Florida universities will be up to you to make happen.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,755 times
Thank you for your input, Fredesch!!!

Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersday View Post
Hello

Moving the family to Port Orange- job in city center. Kids will be entering 2nd and 5th grade. Family is mixed: American/Brazilian. Looking for input/pros and cons on:

-Schools (sweetwater really that great?)
-Neighborhoods (I hear west of 95 floods a lot)
-healthcare
-Wireless providers
-Cable/satellite
-Other

Thanks in advance!
West of 95 doesn't flood, don't know where you heard that. Lots of retention and detention ponds that do fill up in heavy rains but rarely does this affect any homes unless you are on the creek. Healthcare is ok there is Adventist Health (formerly Florida Hospital System) and Halifax Hospital, wireless you can get most anything. My husband has AT&T and I have Tracfone and both work well. Spectrum/AT&T either Uverse or Direct TV are available. Don't know anything about the schools but west of 95 you have Creekside Middle and Cypress Creek Elementary. I believe Spruce Creek High is where all the high school kids go whether they are in Port Orange or just west of 95. Port Orange is really nice IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida