Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM

61 posts, read 322,220 times

Advertisements

Ok, lets kick it up a notch. We all know that FL is not known for its stellar salaries, however my family and friends down there are trying to convince me that there ARE good paying jobs in FL if you are qualified. My question is WHAT PART of FL offers the best salaries?

So lets try it like this, please reply to this post as follows

What part of FL do you live ? ( please state the town that you live and the town that you commute to work in)

What field are you in?

Average yrly salary ( i know discussing salaries is tricky so I am asking for just an average salary for your position)

Level of ecudation ( AA, BA or higher)

Many thanks. If we can limit this to FL residents only since i am looking to get an idea of FL resident salaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 AM

305 posts, read 805,429 times
Since you're coming from NY consider it possibly a 20% paycut all across the board. I've heard as much as 40% for nurses and so forth that come from NY to FLA to live.

Salaries here are much lower and I don't want to ruin your mood but Cost of Housing is what gets you, it's pretty expensive down here to own a home with the salary that Florida pays.

Get some more opinions and decide.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM

99 posts, read 353,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker2 View Post
Ok, lets kick it up a notch. We all know that FL is not known for its stellar salaries, however my family and friends down there are trying to convince me that there ARE good paying jobs in FL if you are qualified. My question is WHAT PART of FL offers the best salaries?

So lets try it like this, please reply to this post as follows

What part of FL do you live ? ( please state the town that you live and the town that you commute to work in)

What field are you in?

Average yrly salary ( i know discussing salaries is tricky so I am asking for just an average salary for your position)

Level of ecudation ( AA, BA or higher)

Many thanks. If we can limit this to FL residents only since i am looking to get an idea of FL resident salaries
O.K., here we go; we live about 30 min north(New Port Richey) of the Tampa area, my husband is an Electronics Engineer, he drives approx. 1 1/2 hrs (for 41 miles) one way to get to work in Largo. He has a BA & the average salary for his position is 50-60K. It's nothing like NY at all(we're originally from Long Island. We will actually be moving to PA because it's not easy to live here. Believe it when you hear "It's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here!" Hope that helps you.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
Anything police or fire in Miami-Dade county. Here is a public database search provided by the Miami Herald. Just go the Fire department and police department and click search and it will put the entire roster of people.....you can see their start dates and their positions. They make very very VERY good money. The requirements ? no degree necessary...just lot's of blood, sweat and tears. Extreme physical and mental training/academies.

Miami-Dade County Employee Salaries | MiamiHerald.com's Data Sleuth

Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 PM

O Boy i cannot believe that the salaries down here are so poor, how DO people live? considering the cost of living, how are people making it on these salaries?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Historically, salaries in Florida were never high. As goes the story for much of the South. Stop comparing salaries in the S.E. with those in the N.E.; or, just stay up north.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 14,689 times
Hi there - I commute 30 minutes to work and I live in Sarasota County. I work at a brokerage firm as an assitant and am series 7 & series 66 licensed. I earn approximately $45M per year. Hope that helps!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:46 PM

541 posts, read 1,994,997 times
Orlando area, IT (networking, web design, graphic design, security, running DSL/ISDN/Fiber lines, etc..), pay is about $30k-45k a year depending on company, BA or higher, lots of experience wanted.
Management (store manager, hotel front desk, etc..) $7/hour-$35k depending on company, BA or higher and lots of experience wanted.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM

Wow how about anyone in the healthcare industry? both technician as well as heathcare mgmt and administration?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Historically, salaries in Florida were never high. As goes the story for much of the South. Stop comparing salaries in the S.E. with those in the N.E.; or, just stay up north.
I am not at all comparing the NE to SE as we all know that is apples and oranges. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida