Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM

801 posts, read 452,658 times

Advertisements

Some people just love NOISE. Dog barking, geese honking, goats bleeting, loud stereos, yelling, farm machinery, kids screaming, etc etc ...

At least if you rent it's easier to get out of a bad situation, especially IF you can find places that rent month to month.

So my question is, are there places available in FL that you can rent month to month without a long term lease (houses, or cottages, not apartments)

And how much would be the cheapest small place to rent (for one person) in Central Florida, like around Eustis? (on average)

If you buy a home and have a neighbor from hell, often there is NOTHING you can do. That's my biggest fear.

For me, this is the worst possible thing that could happen in my life. And I've read on these forums about many "neighbor from hell" scenarios in town, and out in the country. For this reason more than any other, I am afraid to buy a house.

I have a friend in DeLand who moved in 2-3 years ago, all was well, now she has a neighbor breeding Great Danes under her bedroom window with constant barking, kids yelling and etc - neighbors from hell.

Where I live now, it's out in the country but I have constant farm machinery, people yelling, dogs barking and so on. I have to sell my property before I can get out and the market is very slow where I am.

I don't want to get stuck like this again, I want to remain mobile. BUT not sure I can afford to rent the rest of my life... (I'm retired.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 12:06 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Perhaps consider a tiny home so you're mobile and can exist month-to-month if a new location turns out not so great.

https://tinyhouselistings.com/countr...states/florida

Old 03-13-2019, 07:31 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
I don't know. Moving all the time seems like a huge hassle for a retired person.

If noise was a big concern, I'd buy a very large acreage property, 20 or more, located near a wildlife preserve or state lands for more privacy. You could build a small house with hurricane impact windows. Not only does this give you storm protection but they are great at eliminating noise inside the house.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:49 PM

86 posts, read 62,590 times
I agree that it would be a nightmare to have a really noisy neighbor. I saw this story on the news a few weeks ago. This is just hard to believe. Most noisy people don't purposely make noise. They seem oblivious that they are bothering anyone. Not this person though.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/depu...ighbo/32024715

Old 03-13-2019, 04:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Renting makes sense for a lot of folks. No reason to think one mode of living meets everyones needs.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:58 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Problem with renting is no security during housing booms and I hope people understand this. This is a massive problem in many parts of the country. However, if prices stay flat or turn negative it can be a positive renting.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Also with renting, you are just as likely to get a bad neighbor, maybe even more so since people who rent are more mobile. There just really are no guarantees. I once live in the country where everyone was on two to five acres and had TWO really bad, noisy neighbors. I live near the airport and US 41 now and hear some occasional low level noise, but lucky to have pretty good neighbors so far (10 years.) House next door is fo sale though, so we'll see what that brings.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
That webpage reminded me of my last two homes. Both leaked when it rained hard as it does in Florida. Really - water intrusion is a thing here. My experience; exposed windows leak in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps consider a tiny home so you're mobile and can exist month-to-month if a new location turns out not so great.

https://tinyhouselistings.com/countr...states/florida

Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
It would be very difficult (though not impossible) to find month-to-month rentals, mostly because of the transient nature of some who move to Florida. If a property owner doesn't protect himself via leases, deposits, background checks, etc., they can very easily be left holding the bag by unscrupulous renters who trash the property, don't pay their rents, and disappear into the night. They can still do it after signing the lease, obviously, but a strong lease and deposits tends to help separate the wheat from the chaff. If you know someone personally who owns such properties, it might be easier to set up a non-traditional rental plan since there is a degree of trust between the landlord and tenant. Maybe a six-month lease? Snowbirds will impact this plan, also, since they're more likely to leap onto any short-term leases that fit the window of time they're nesting here.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
MVB...my biggest concern would be this..
What if you find the perfect place to rent.....and then years later, they sell it out from under you?
...you'll be older and have to move again and start over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida