Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM

765 posts, read 2,627,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Question: should individuals diversify their skills? Sometimes we have to make sacrifices to be able to attain what we want...
I totally agree with this post. The more you have to offer, the more valuable you become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM

94 posts, read 366,540 times
I'm very happy. Moved back to Florida (got full relo). Big pay raise low to mid six figures. College education, right school and major are key to getting ahead unless you are a salesperson. This holds true just about anywhere in america......

Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I totally agree with this post. The more you have to offer, the more valuable you become.
Not really. Only if your company actually USES you in those capacities do you actually become more valuable.

This guy knows how to wire telephones...but we only need him to dig ditches for us.

Here's a funny story from my Navy days. We had two people on security watch, taken from various departments, while in port. They told us (me and the other fellow) that we had to go down to the pier at least once to get THEIR report...even though they had a phone, it wasn't working.

I asked, "Why don't we just FIX the phone? That IS my job, after all." The look on their faces when it dawned on them that they could simply have the problem fixed! But they didn't THINK to use me...I brought it up.

Or at work, when they were doing the remodel...they needed someone to mix up some paint. All the DAY associates had left, but I knew HOW to do it, so I was able to get that for them...but it seems it never occurs to management to ASK if anyone knows how to do things!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,426,496 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

interesting link

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,480,539 times
We moved back to FL after leaving Gainesville to live in Chapel Hill/Raleigh for five years. We took a 20k pay cut overall mainly because my type of work doesn't exist in Gainesville so I had to settle for something so we both could move at the same time and our house in NC had not sold. That being said making 20k less in Gainesville compared to Raleigh nets us the same take home since in Gainesville we don't pay for healthcare, get more employer paid retirement, and no state tax.

So once I switch jobs within my current employer by the end of the year we'll be making about 10k less than Raleigh overall but taking home 7k more.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:51 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,480,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Gator View Post
I'm very happy. Moved back to Florida (got full relo). Big pay raise low to mid six figures. College education, right school and major are key to getting ahead unless you are a salesperson. This holds true just about anywhere in america......
Now you have a much shorter trip to games. We would travel back for a couple games a year from NC and now we just got season tickets. Can't wait.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,807,550 times
I make about 30% less than I would doing the same job in NY/NJ but I have an easy commute and a good quality of life. That said, I make a lot more than many of the workers in this area do, and have a steady, stable, secure job. I don't know how people are living on $10 an hour or less. I couldn't--not and feel at all confident about my financial future unless I either had no mortgage or lived at home with my parents.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM

137 posts, read 406,018 times
Salaries are terrible in Florida for government employees. I have been a state law enforcement officer for 12 years. I make a little over $40,000 and I have a promotion under my belt. I have family members in other states who do the exact same job that I do and are making 2.5 times the money that I am making. We have many non law enforcement state employees that make $20,000 a year and some of them have been with the state for many years. State employees that made over $45,000 were one signature away from receiving a pay CUT this year. The sad thing is that almost %80 of the state employees didn't even qualify for the pay cut because only %20 of them make over $45,000. That should sum up the wage situation in Florida.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 PM

20 posts, read 65,669 times
When I was working here (worked in Lake Mary) I was getting a 6-figure salary, which was pretty decent considering the lower cost of living. Of course, when I was living in SoCal I was getting a 6-figure salary that was double that of FL, but my discretionary spending was about the same. So, if you are coming from a high cost of living area you have to factor that in. Here is a link where you can do the math: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida