Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 53,265 times

Advertisements

Hi all I would like to move to florida, I like the weather, I hate winter, but my wife is a medical doctor and I am dental hygienist, and we have a 4 year old daughter, and were looking for a place that is peaceful, where you have everything, not miami. we like the beach it doesnt have to be close one hour away its ok, good school, low crime, not to rural but nice,
affordable home, let say not more than half an hour driving to go to, walmart, theater, home depot, supermarket, restaurant

we were looking fort myers, my wife could work in lehigh acres and live in fort myers, what you guys think????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:39 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,220,070 times
Smile Medical Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by santana1979 View Post
Hi all I would like to move to florida, I like the weather, I hate winter, but my wife is a medical doctor and I am dental hygienist, and we have a 4 year old daughter, and were looking for a place that is peaceful, where you have everything, not miami. we like the beach it doesnt have to be close one hour away its ok, good school, low crime, not to rural but nice,
affordable home, let say not more than half an hour driving to go to, walmart, theater, home depot, supermarket, restaurant

we were looking fort myers, my wife could work in lehigh acres and live in fort myers, what you guys think????
The Medical field is well sought after in Florida......your wife should start mailing out her resume to various hospitals throughout the area's you are interested in moving to......you might be surprised when some of them start contacting her and offering an interview as well as all expenses to fly down for a few days for the interview...several people I know have all done this...nurses...x-ray tech...doctors...and all where flown down...offered jobs...and even better...they are all down there now...

Old 07-06-2009, 01:21 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santana1979 View Post

Lehigh Acres is awful. Fort Myers is too.

What you described sounds a lot more like Tallahassee.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM

88 posts, read 414,061 times
My suggestion is to come down for a few weeks two or three times in the next six months or so and take a look. Then once you find an area you like, stat applying for jobs and see where that gets you.

Weather should not be the initial consideration. Everyone says they hate winter but begin to complain when its in the 90's with 90% humidity for four to five months, and 80 degrees on Christmas. IMO, one-hour from the coast means RURAL and much hotter and humid that the coast. One hour from the coast is also in the middle of the state which places your prefered place anywhere in the state. Good luck, and come down and take look around.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM

508 posts, read 1,108,148 times
Well I think Fort Myers would be just fine because it is slower paced and if it suits your tastes then perhaps check out Port Charlotte too. Both communities have what you are looking for. Gourgeous smaller communities are all over down there. Naples might also because as I understand the market, it has much more to offer for your job fields down there. But I cannot get past the culture of Sarasota. It has been voted as one of the best places to live according to Money magazine several years ago. You really need to see why to understand. The Healthcare industry in SWFL is needing people more than any other field and housing is the cheapest in many years. You're pretty lucky to be looking at this time. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,932,345 times
I was thinking North Port or Port Charlotte. Seems to meet all your criteria. It's also about 30 minutes or so from the beaches. Has good schools, low crime, close to shopping, great prices on homes.

Zara-I'm with ya on the Sarasota area. Can't get any better than that area IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida