Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,219 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

We’re a couple in our mid 30’s seeking to move from Metro Atlanta, GA to Florida’s Gulf Coast - Northwest or Central FL (as west as Destin and as South as St. Pete/Tampa). It’s very important to us to live in a city/town that is very culturally/ethnically diverse. A great place to start a family in, with great school systems, not a high crime rate, some night life, and if possible not touristy. Doesn’t have to be as busy as Atlanta, but don’t want to live in the country nor a quiet, dead, slow, non progressive place. We don’t have to live right along the beach, but within 30 mins would be great. I’ve visited many times in the past few years, but it’s always during school break times (the only time I get off from work) so it was always packed with tourists making it hard to tell how the cities/towns really are like to live in. We would greatly appreciate your honest suggestions. Thanks and God Bless!

Last edited by MarissaC.; 03-16-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 08:46 AM

210 posts, read 271,112 times
Orlando, specifically north of downtown specifically Thornton Park, College Park, Baldwin Park, Winter Park, Maitland. Orlando is by far the most progressive city in Florida and increasingly diverse and inclusive. Just avoid the I-Drive and Theme Park area. Let me know if you need school zone specifics.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:06 AM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Orlando, specifically north of downtown specifically Thornton Park, College Park, Baldwin Park, Winter Park, Maitland. Orlando is by far the most progressive city in Florida and increasingly diverse and inclusive. Just avoid the I-Drive and Theme Park area. Let me know if you need school zone specifics.

This except Winter Park and Maitland. Winter Park isn't really a progressive area, it's more moderate, wealthy families mixed with hipsters. Maitland I think is too suburban for what you want. However, College Park, Baldwin Park, Thornton Park, Lake Eola, Aubudon Park, Ivanhoe Village... all work.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:07 PM

Thank you very much, WinterParkLocal and bmx335xi! I don’t need school zone specific just yet, but will reach out when needed @WinterParkLocal, thank you! Does anyone else reading this thread know of cities/towns closer towards the Gulf Coast of Central West or Panhandle of Florida?

Old 03-17-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarissaC. View Post
Thank you very much, WinterParkLocal and bmx335xi! I don’t need school zone specific just yet, but will reach out when needed @WinterParkLocal, thank you! Does anyone else reading this thread know of cities/towns closer towards the Gulf Coast of Central West or Panhandle of Florida?

You're welcome!

The Panhandle is not progressive at all.

The Gulf Coast for the most part is also not progressive besides Tampa proper and St. Petersburg.

You need to go to South Florida as in SE Florida for that.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:48 PM

That’s a bummer Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this, bmw335xi

Old 03-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
That’s a bummer Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this, bmw335xi

You can also use this as a reference too...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-81.632/159597

Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Greetings,

We’re a couple in our mid 30’s seeking to move from Metro Atlanta, GA to Florida’s Gulf Coast - Northwest or Central FL (as west as Destin and as South as St. Pete/Tampa). It’s very important to us to live in a city/town that is very culturally/ethnically diverse. A great place to start a family in, with great school systems, not a high crime rate, some night life, and if possible not touristy. Doesn’t have to be as busy as Atlanta, but don’t want to live in the country nor a quiet, dead, slow, non progressive place. We don’t have to live right along the beach, but within 30 mins would be great. I’ve visited many times in the past few years, but it’s always during school break times (the only time I get off from work) so it was always packed with tourists making it hard to tell how the cities/towns really are like to live in. We would greatly appreciate your honest suggestions. Thanks and God Bless!
As a geography refresher the Orlando area is as far inland as one can get in Florida so if a beach vibe or frequency of time spent there is important to you, it's most likely not the place to look. It's a good solid hour driving at 70-75 mph most of the way to get to the nearest beaches from Orlando. If wanting progressive, great schools, diversity, lower crime, night life, not touristy and a more coastal vibe South Tampa would be your best bet.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:27 PM

Yes, kyle19125! Thank you

Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a geography refresher the Orlando area is as far inland as one can get in Florida so if a beach vibe or frequency of time spent there is important to you, it's most likely not the place to look. It's a good solid hour driving at 70-75 mph most of the way to get to the nearest beaches from Orlando. If wanting progressive, great schools, diversity, lower crime, night life, not touristy and a more coastal vibe South Tampa would be your best bet.
I used to live in the western suburbs of Miami and now in western Orange county,basically the western area of Orlando and it would take me almost the same time to get to Miami beach in Miami as it does from where I am now to say Cocoa beach,yeah it still takes a bit longer but not that much more.I do prefer the gulf coast beaches but those do take a little more.My point is living in Miami just the traffic alone would make a 25 mile trip almost as long as a 45-50 mile trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida