Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,445 times

Advertisements

Hi, apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn't see anything similar.

My son recently turned 16 and passed his drivers test in school with the Drivers Ed course. He is due to go to DMV for his license next week. However he doesn't have a SSN as we are on L2 Visas (my husband is on an L1) and the green card process is taking forever.

Can he get a drivers license based on his i94 info or does he actually need a social security number? We went to the SS Offices and were told he wasn't able to obtain a SSN until the green card is approved. He will be devastated if he can't drive until it comes through

Any advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
This may work - but I’m not a lawyer.

If they want a SSN card it won’t help, but he can apply for an ITIN which is the same format.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...on-numbers-tin

Your best bet is to call or visit the DMV.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:13 AM

3,320 posts, read 2,134,319 times
Info: https://www.dmvflorida.org/drivers-l...identification

Old 03-29-2019, 04:47 PM

1,129 posts, read 469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHSCOT View Post
Hi, apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn't see anything similar.

My son recently turned 16 and passed his drivers test in school with the Drivers Ed course. He is due to go to DMV for his license next week. However he doesn't have a SSN as we are on L2 Visas (my husband is on an L1) and the green card process is taking forever.

Can he get a drivers license based on his i94 info or does he actually need a social security number? We went to the SS Offices and were told he wasn't able to obtain a SSN until the green card is approved. He will be devastated if he can't drive until it comes through

Any advice welcome!
I recently tried to get a Florida license on a B1 tourist Visa and passed the theory and everything was going smoothly up until issuing a license that normally requires a SSN number, it blew their minds a bit when I explained that I am entitled to a license being legally in the country on a visa which is valid for 10 years, after some time in discussion and a couple of phone calls they came around to this but couldn’t agree in the tax office how long it could be issued for and I was told they couldn’t issue a license that day but they would be in touch, the next day I received a phone call informing me that I could have a license but the duration can only be until the expiration date of my i94, in my case on a B1 visa this is just six months so pointless.

In your sons case it shouldn’t be an issue and your Son will be just fine

Old 03-31-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I recently tried to get a Florida license on a B1 tourist Visa and passed the theory and everything was going smoothly up until issuing a license that normally requires a SSN number, it blew their minds a bit when I explained that I am entitled to a license being legally in the country on a visa which is valid for 10 years, after some time in discussion and a couple of phone calls they came around to this but couldn’t agree in the tax office how long it could be issued for and I was told they couldn’t issue a license that day but they would be in touch, the next day I received a phone call informing me that I could have a license but the duration can only be until the expiration date of my i94, in my case on a B1 visa this is just six months so pointless.

In your sons case it shouldn’t be an issue and your Son will be just fine
Why would you even bother? An overseas license is perfectly valid here.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:59 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Less hassle with clueless cops when you get pulled over.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:35 PM

1,129 posts, read 469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You can drive on an international license just fine but your choice of insurer will be pretty much Progressive, I couldn’t find a single other option and the amount you pay is higher.

I also believe that if you become a Florida resident like the original poster it’s law to change your license to a Florida one within a few months.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
You can drive on an international license just fine but your choice of insurer will be pretty much Progressive, I couldn’t find a single other option and the amount you pay is higher.

I also believe that if you become a Florida resident like the original poster it’s law to change your license to a Florida one within a few months.
Fair point. As a B1 you can’t become a resident obviously as you’re a business visitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida