Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 05:08 PM

16 posts, read 14,414 times

Advertisements

Our family may be considering a move to Florida from the Midwest. I have several questions. We have one high schooler. School district is important, we are coming from top rated national public schools,
. She plays soccer, so we would be looking at good club soccer for girls as well as high school teams.

We have looked at Post Orange and Lake Mary online. We are a little concerned about ultra conservative areas and “redneck” atmosphere. Our daughter is Asian so any racial issues, if any, would be a concern.

As far as future resale, are any areas that are a better buy? We want a safe, family friendly atmosphere, dog friendly, college educated type atmosphere that isn’t closed minded. Does that exist? 😁 I know nowhere is perfect!

This would be a massive change for our family, so any input is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmctmg View Post
Our family may be considering a move to Florida from the Midwest. I have several questions. We have one high schooler. School district is important, we are coming from top rated national public schools,
. She plays soccer, so we would be looking at good club soccer for girls as well as high school teams.
Can't help you on this, but I would definitely check data that is available.

Quote:
We have looked at Post Orange and Lake Mary online. We are a little concerned about ultra conservative areas and “redneck” atmosphere. Our daughter is Asian so any racial issues, if any, would be a concern.

Port Orange is nice, but a bit crowded. rednecks are among the friendliest people so don't worry about it. Now of you are worried about Bike Week or the NASCAR crowds, just avoid Daytona at that time and especially the downtown area.

Not familiar with Lake Mary, but I live close to Port Orange and have been looking at it as a place for some family members to live.

Quote:
As far as future resale, are any areas that are a better buy? We want a safe, family friendly atmosphere, dog friendly, college educated type atmosphere that isn’t closed minded. Does that exist? 😁 I know nowhere is perfect!

Most of the residents are a bit older as to age, with many 55 communities, but Port Orange has some areas that would fit your needs.

I and my wife have lived all over the Country and we are very happy here.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:45 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

As far as future resale, are any areas that are a better buy? We want a safe, family friendly atmosphere, dog friendly, college educated type atmosphere that isn’t closed minded. Does that exist? �� I know nowhere is perfect!

Lake Mary would be your better option. It's a very diverse city generally speaking with a significant Asian (South Asian and East Asian) population and definitely not redneck, nor ultra conservative. Lake Mary High School is an "A" rated high school within one of the top several school districts in the state (Seminole County). The LMHS Girls Soccer Team is a traditional powerhouse program and is both state ranked (#20) and nationally ranked (#95). This year they made it to the state's final four in the Class5A State Championships, losing in the semifinals to the eventual state champion, 1-1 in a shootout.
https://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...r/schedule.htm For future resale and other considerations listed I would opt for communities zoned for LMHS like The Crossings (near LMHS), Alaqua or Wingfield Reserve on the Markham Woods Rd corridor or along Rinehart Rd in communities like Timacuan or Manderley.

Last edited by kyle19125; 04-04-2019 at 06:00 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 AM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Agreed on Lake Mary and the post above. HOWEVER, as for soccer, club soccer here is very competitive and time-consuming, and often, coaches recommend that elite players NOT play "High School" soccer, as it is an entirely different game, and nowhere near the same level of play. If you can find a club that allows a player to play for the HS team as well, great. Just keep in mind that the vast majority do not.
To get the most out of her soccer experience before hitting college, I'd definitely recommend local powerhouses such as FL Krush or OCSC, both which practice locally in North Seminole County.

https://youthsoccerrankings.us/rankings/FL/16/girls/

Old 04-04-2019, 10:30 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:

As far as future resale, are any areas that are a better buy? We want a safe, family friendly atmosphere, dog friendly, college educated type atmosphere that isn’t closed minded. Does that exist? �� I know nowhere is perfect!

I'd definitely recommend Lake Mary based on everything you said. It's quite diverse. I have a lot of Asian friends who live in Lake Mary too, went through the public school system there. There are a lot more places to hang out, very family friendly, close to Orlando where there is a pretty big Asian community too.

Port Orange would be the choice if you have to live locally though. However, I know exactly your concern having an Asian daughter. I'm Asian myself and would feel much more "welcomed" in Lake Mary. It would also be my choice as the parents too... yes there is some commute, but much more "cultured" population, things to do, places to eat... small town people are nice, but often times not very well traveled or lack experiences with other cultures, foods, etc. It's not that she will be bullied and harassed by rednecks, just will probably feel out of place. Just my two cents, any other questions feel free to ask or shoot me a DM.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:33 PM

210 posts, read 271,331 times
Lake Mary would be your better choice. The Orlando City youth program practices in Seminole county. I have 3 kids in club (travel Competitive) soccer and can help answer any questions about the various leagues. I’ve had kids at almost all of them and each have their strengths and opportunities. Send me a message if you want to talk soccer.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:54 PM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Lake Mary would be your better choice. The Orlando City youth program practices in Seminole county. I have 3 kids in club (travel Competitive) soccer and can help answer any questions about the various leagues. I’ve had kids at almost all of them and each have their strengths and opportunities. Send me a message if you want to talk soccer.
Yep. I think there are more club (travel) soccer teams that practice in Seminole County than anywhere else in Orlando. My son's club practices there too, as do quite a few other notable ones.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:49 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yep. I think there are more club (travel) soccer teams that practice in Seminole County than anywhere else in Orlando. My son's club practices there too, as do quite a few other notable ones.
The Seminole Soccer complex is a huge draw I know, perhaps that's why. https://playorlandonorth.com/facilit...soccer-complex

Old 04-05-2019, 05:31 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
I live beachside in the Daytona Beach area. The Daytona Beach area is spread out. Depending on where you have to drive to, commuting from Lake Mary could be a long commute. There is never ending construction on I4. The I4/95 interchange is under construction and going from I4 to I95 North should be an amusement park ride. Driving to Lake Mary is an hour+ drive for me

I believe housing will be more costly in Lake Mary than the Daytona area. Lake Mary is part of the Orlando area. Be aware in Florida you don't swim in lakes, gators live there.

If you live in the Daytona area, you will be closer to the beach. Being from the mid-west, that may not mean anything to you, but if you live in Florida and aren't geriatric, you will become aware of the beach. Ever think your kids might like surfing? They can in Florida.

I don't know much about soccer here. I know there is lots of travel soccer here. You might check out Seabreeze High School. I believe they went to state soccar finals a month ago. https://www.seabreezehigh.org/2018/2...o-state-semi-s

Old 04-05-2019, 06:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
I live beachside in the Daytona Beach area. The Daytona Beach area is spread out. Depending on where you have to drive to, commuting from Lake Mary could be a long commute. There is never ending construction on I4. The I4/95 interchange is under construction and going from I4 to I95 North should be an amusement park ride. Driving to Lake Mary is an hour+ drive for me

I believe housing will be more costly in Lake Mary than the Daytona area. Lake Mary is part of the Orlando area. Be aware in Florida you don't swim in lakes, gators live there.

If you live in the Daytona area, you will be closer to the beach. Being from the mid-west, that may not mean anything to you, but if you live in Florida and aren't geriatric, you will become aware of the beach. Ever think your kids might like surfing? They can in Florida.

I don't know much about soccer here. I know there is lots of travel soccer here. You might check out Seabreeze High School. I believe they went to state soccar finals a month ago. https://www.seabreezehigh.org/2018/2...o-state-semi-s
I believe Port Orange would be a better place to live than Lake mary. I am not familiar with the schools, but living of Tomoka Farms rd, or in that area, in the Spruce Creek section of Port Orange and easy access to many amenities and to the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida