Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times

Advertisements

We moved to Gainesvile from SFLA about 3 years ago. I've never used the bus system but I understand it's far better than most cities. You'll have to pick your poison regarding public transport versus living among students. We live in the SW section, Haile, and there is maybe one bus line that comes as far as a mile or two from our house. So conversely, not a lot of students out here.

The NW section might be different, as Santa Fe college is up there, so more bus lines to/from and around the school. UF, the huge university, is in "mid-town." A section near downtown, called Duckpond, is not as close to UF as mid-town, but has lots of public transportation. It's a beautiful area, with historic homes, and many students, as well as lots of UF faculty, live there. Very liberal.

The suburbs to the west are a "light blue." Not as liberal.

Good luck. I love living in a college town. The health care, and other services, are fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
What is Ocala like?
Also, I forgot to mention an important detail; I don't drive. This means that there has to be a bus system, wherever I move to. (Even if it's just one or two routes that goes through the main streets)
Very important tidbit in a state that's public transportation poor. Gainesville is your only match for a city that's "blue", close enough to your population threshold to not seem overwhelming and for the fact it has a fairly decent transit system thanks to the university.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
How about Indialantic? Cool little beach town one bridge away from Melbourne and has an excellent bus system.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:16 AM

182 posts, read 204,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
How about Indialantic? Cool little beach town one bridge away from Melbourne and has an excellent bus system.
That looks nice, but I doubt I would be able to find an apartment to rent there. This did get me thinking about Melbourne, Palm Bay, Rockledge, Cocoa and Titusville.. What are those places like?

Old 04-23-2019, 01:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Defuniak Springs is a nice peaceful communit=https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/c...k-springs.html

Old 04-23-2019, 01:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
That looks nice, but I doubt I would be able to find an apartment to rent there. This did get me thinking about Melbourne, Palm Bay, Rockledge, Cocoa and Titusville.. What are those places like?
Cocoa beach on the island is fine, the mainland city has definite crime issues. My wife and I looked there for a place to live quite a bit, but ended up a bit further North.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
What is Ocala like?
Also, I forgot to mention an important detail; I don't drive. This means that there has to be a bus system, wherever I move to. (Even if it's just one or two routes that goes through the main streets)
Ocala is extremely conservative.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 PM

182 posts, read 204,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Cocoa beach on the island is fine, the mainland city has definite crime issues. My wife and I looked there for a place to live quite a bit, but ended up a bit further North.
Where at, exactly?

Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:
What is Ocala like?
Also, I forgot to mention an important detail; I don't drive. This means that there has to be a bus system
Huge tidbit that should've been in the OP. Not going to happen. You simply are not going to meet all your criteria. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:26 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
Quote:
My spouse grew up in Melbourne and still has cousins there. When we have visited, I found the Space Coast less frenetic than Fort Myers and Tampa, where I have lived. The area is not wildly progressive, politically, but does have an active Progressive Alliance group, a good park system, a botanical garden, and an arts scene. I have not had occasion to use the bus system.

BTW, if you are truly interested in electoral politics, the New York Times did a precinct-by-precinct map of the 2016 presidential election. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/....7425/-82.7042
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida