Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM

949 posts, read 571,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
What a bunch of hysterical...politically motivated... BS...and flat our fear mongering
.....does the ACLU think the cops are going to stop half the population of Florida?

"TAMPA (WFLA) - Civil rights and immigrants' rights leaders have issued a travel advisory for immigrants and people of color, urging them to use extreme caution when traveling in Florida.

The American Civil Liberties Union tweeted on Monday announcing the statewide travel advisory in response to proposed Senate Bill 168 and House Bill 527. The ACLU and the Florida Immigrant Coalition warns that visitors could have their constitutional rights violated if the bills are signed into law."

"The alert comes amid these bills’ steady progress in the Florida State legislature and cautions both Florida travelers and residents, especially Black, brown & Latinx communities, of the increased likelihood of racial profiling, unjust detention, and possible deportation if these anti-immigrant bills pass," the ACLU said in a statement released to 8 On Your Side."

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/ac...or-/1911712201
Generations back blacks were stopped all the time. What makes you think it is not possible again?
We have more money, resources and stupid politicians than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 03:34 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
...and more fun facts than you think

Buried in the FBI/DOJ statistics...they break hate crimes down by race

...see if you can find that..and the disproportionate amount of hate crimes committed by blacks..not actual numbers....percentage

US Census Bureau says blacks are only ~12% of the population...and commit over 20% of the hate crimes

Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoLiberal View Post
Hate crimes in FL and the country in general have hit record highs after the 2016 election, many countries have issued warnings to their citizens to be cautious while traveling in the U.S...
My view is that when a poster complains about "racism" in Florida then he or she is likely very young and does not know about the history of the 1970s and earlier when it was much, much worse - blatant segregation, outrack attacks on interracial couples, race riots, etc.

I lived in Florida for over 13 years - mostly in Tallahassee but also in South FL for a year.

I studied sociological courses on race and ethnicity in Florida when in graduate school. I learned to categorize racism as follows:
* blatant racism (e.g. Nazis, KKK, Alabama Governor George Wallace of the 1960s, Dylan Roof, Columbine HS shooters, etc).
Blatant racism is rare in Florida but can still happen infrequently. It was much worse in the 1970s or before.
* subtle racism (ex. people locking car doors in broad daylight at the sight of a black man outside Publix, dating apps that show a pattern of rejecting a particular ethnic group by supposedly "color-blind, non-racist whites")
* colorism (minorities discriminating against each other based on skin-color, ex. Hispanics in Miami who do not want to admit having West African Ancestry, black athletes choosing white women over black women like RGIII, etc)
* institutional racism (hiring preferences that are subtle - rejecting resumes with ethnic names, etc)
* reverse racism (negative stereotypes of whites from minorities - common include "whites are slow in sports that require sprinting or jumping such as basketball or a wide receiver/defensive back", "white women only marry for money", "all white cops are racist", etc.)

As for cops, most I met in Florida were mellow and not racist. They were usually very civil and helpful. I don't recall a "Rodney King" type of incident that I personally witnessed.

But racism can happen in Florida. The most common type is subtle racism. This is just as common among Democrats as Republicans. Colorism is also very common. Racist cops do exist in FL but in my experience many were not.

I do recall a few encounters with extreme, virulent racism. There were two white fraternity guys who wanted to beat me up because they hated the way I looked - a brown Native American. My appearance just annoyed the hell out of them. But they were statistically infrequent. Most "white frat" guys were mellow and did not have that level of hatred. I actually befriended a white southern female from a southern sorority.

I did have encounters with racist white women who would only interact with "white men of high social status". I found that such racist white women can go online and create some sort of hate chat session/group/twitter feed about the minority guy they do not like. I have been in that spotlight for such racist white women in college - supposedly liberal and educated but still racist. There are guys like that too. There used to be an "Anonymous College" board shut down after many complaints by FSU students. It had many racist comments posted anonymously. Some students also exposed "blackface" parties on that board (or allegations of it). It was bizarre.

The most racist cop I recall personally was a sheriff who was stalking me and my blonde white girlfriend when we were on a date outside Starbucks. The white cop was older and appeared very angry that I was on a date with a young white woman. He ignored all other white couples in and outside that Starbucks but just fixated on us - particularly me. In my opinion, he was on the verge of arresting me due to his inner rage of seeing a Native American on a date with a blonde white woman - a southerner. Ironically, there are many "white" Floridians and southerners who have distant Native American ancestry. It's very common in the FL Panhandle. But I guess that white cop didn't know that. He should have been focused on Scott Beierle.

However, I have also met many nice white cops in FL. I took flight from DC to FL one year and sat next to a retired FL state trooper. He was one of the nicest cops I had ever met - very passionate about his civil service and work experience. It was about a two hour flight but I talked to him and lost track of time because of his descriptions of the work he had done. A lot of white cops in FL are like that - mellow and actually very respectful of minorities. Minorities don't have to be so negative about white cops in FL.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
...and more fun facts than you think

Buried in the FBI/DOJ statistics...they break hate crimes down by race

...see if you can find that..and the disproportionate amount of hate crimes committed by blacks..not actual numbers....percentage

US Census Bureau says blacks are only ~12% of the population...and commit over 20% of the hate crimes
Want to tell us about the percentage of whites in this country vs mass shootings? Prob not, you may not like what you find...

Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
..you are the queen of strawman

Old 04-17-2019, 01:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
What a bunch of hysterical...politically motivated... BS...and flat our fear mongering
.....does the ACLU think the cops are going to stop half the population of Florida?
Are you familiar with Florida?

Even law abiding white citizens like myself are stopped if we go 10 MPH over the speed limit or have to run a yellow light because a giant truck is bearing down on us on the 12 lane street.

Florida LE agencies are each complete dynasties by themselves. Around here they decided to spend big money and arrest a big mass of handymen who dared to want to help people with some trim work without a license.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
In my opinion, he was on the verge of arresting me due to his inner rage of seeing a Native American on a date with a blonde white woman - a southerner. Ironically, there are many "white" Floridians and southerners who have distant Native American ancestry. It's very common in the FL Panhandle. But I guess that white cop didn't know that. He should have been focused on Scott Beierle.

However, I have also met many nice white cops in FL. I took flight from DC to FL one year and sat next to a retired FL state trooper. He was one of the nicest cops I had ever met - very passionate about his civil service and work experience. It was about a two hour flight but I talked to him and lost track of time because of his descriptions of the work he had done. A lot of white cops in FL are like that - mellow and actually very respectful of minorities. Minorities don't have to be so negative about white cops in FL.
My guess is that the only thing stopping FL LE from hassling brown people...is, frankly...there is no money in it. There is usually nothing else in it for them either...sex, drugs, etc.

So I agree that most brown people are not hassled around here (Gulf Coast Florida).

But the State themselves are the usual hypocrites - refusing to do E-Verify or increase min. wages while at the same time spewing venom about immigrants.

THAT is what is causing this warming...one the travel people at Fodors say is very real. When a State Government sits around and writes language appointing every member of LE to be the law unto himself, it should trouble people.

They can spend their money elsewhere.

Remember, during much of Jim Crow, it was illegal to be a Negro Doing Most Anything. Don't fool yourself that this is very different.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Want to tell us about the percentage of whites in this country vs mass shootings? Prob not, you may not like what you find...
Asians commit the highest per capita mass shootings...blacks and whites are actually equal.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:38 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Asians commit the highest per capita mass shootings...blacks and whites are actually equal.
Try again

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

Old 04-18-2019, 01:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Now relate that to the % of each group.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...y-ethnicities/

Example:
Blacks are 12% of the population and commit 18% of the crimes listed.
Asians are 5% and commit 8%

Whites 61.2% and commit 62%
Hispanics 17.6% and commit 10% (best ration)

Makes a difference.

Last edited by expatCA; 04-18-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida