Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Meh... I'd rather hear that Amtrak's Sunset Limited train operates in FL again...

Amtrak is just so expensive, I think this is the main reason why rail travel in the US isn't popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 09:11 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Amtrak is just so expensive, I think this is the main reason why rail travel in the US isn't popular.
Agreed. And... slow. But it’s so comfortable. If I could get to Atlanta in under 10 hours via train, I’d do it versus driving or flying any day.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Sun coast parkway extension into Georgia is a bit redundant since there is already 75. it'd be better to head that between Gainesville and Ocala to Jacksonville instead.

The polk-collier corridor is definitely needed to take traffic off 75 and 27. Should have another path to alligator alley too.

Too bad these roads are all toll roads instead of interstate highways.
Suncoast Parkway has two proposals. The first proposal is being extended to Ocala, then onto Jacksonville. The second proposal would be following the coast toward Tallahassee. It is yet to be seen if extension into Georgia, serving Albany and Columbus, can be realized.

The Polk-Corridor Corridor would provide a better connection from Lakeland to Naples and Fort Myers. Interstate 4 and Interstate 75 have issues.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Will the Suncoast Pkwy Ext be pushed into Georgia's state line? would make a nice way for people of Albany to drive to Florida. It would also make a nice terminus for Georgia's proposed I-81...otherwise it does seem kind of redundant.
When has Georgia proposed the idea of Interstate 81 being extending?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
They are primarily selling the northern suncoast parkway extention as an I75 alternate for trucking, hurricane evacuation (i75 was a traffic disaster with irma), and rural and economic development for the big bend counties, levy, Dixie, Taylor, jefferson.

We too the US 98/19 route from Tallahassee to Tampa a total of once because it was supposed to be 15 minutes quicker than going all the way over to I-75. And decided it was worth it to go I-75 on the return home, road construction there or not.

It was like something out of Deliverance- constant swamps that someone could easily sink a car into and no one would find for years, abandoned 1950s motels and motor courts, the creepiness and blatant racism that is Perry...

I can see the usefulness of a limited access road through the region if you're talking wanting to shave 30-60 minutes off the route from Tampa to Pensacola and points west toward Texas, but broader economic development is going to be a hard sell for that region for multiple reasons.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
When has Georgia proposed the idea of Interstate 81 being extending?
Not sure if GA truly proposed it or not, but it was considered at one time: Deep-South Optimized Transportation System: I-81 - From Lake Ontario to the Gulf Coast

If both of those roads existed (I-81 & Suncoast Pkwy) it would give drivers a way to completely bypass metro Atlanta...yeah thats pretty far from the scope of this project but it would also help with Spring Break and Thanksgiving traffic.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:27 PM

Georgia's General Assembly passed a resolution in favor of Interstate 14. I do not see it or Tennessee working on extending Interstate 81.

Could Florida use another interstate highway?

Could Tallahassee use an auxiliary interstate highway?

Old 04-18-2019, 02:04 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Toll road plans cruise in Florida Senate - Story | WOFL

The proposals would extend the Suncoast Parkway from the Tampa Bay area north to the Georgia border, extend the Florida Turnpike west to hook up with the Suncoast Parkway and build a new transportation corridor from Polk County to Collier County.
I like all three of those ideas. The Suncoast Parkway extension would take a load off I-75, which is overwhelmed with traffic from I-10 to Florida's Turnpike. I like that region of Florida too; it's nice and quiet. And the corridor from Lakeland to Fort Myers could be useful too. I drove U.S. 17 from Haines City to Punta Gorda, and it passes through a lot of small towns along the way.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Meh... I'd rather hear that Amtrak's Sunset Limited train operates in FL again...
I miss that. I used to ride it often when I lived in Tallahassee.

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 04-22-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 07:29 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We too the US 98/19 route from Tallahassee to Tampa a total of once because it was supposed to be 15 minutes quicker than going all the way over to I-75. And decided it was worth it to go I-75 on the return home, road construction there or not.

It was like something out of Deliverance- constant swamps that someone could easily sink a car into and no one would find for years, abandoned 1950s motels and motor courts, the creepiness and blatant racism that is Perry...

I can see the usefulness of a limited access road through the region if you're talking wanting to shave 30-60 minutes off the route from Tampa to Pensacola and points west toward Texas, but broader economic development is going to be a hard sell for that region for multiple reasons.
I used to take it from Tally to Lakeland back when I was in college. That area is certainly the land that time forgot. There used to be an abandoned Pullman car next to an Amityville styled house in Shamrock. Not a bad right and if you drive at fast, you can definitely save time especially between Chiefland and Inglis. A straight road for almost 30 miles made for great speeding. However, I would NEVER travel that route at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida