Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times

Advertisements

There was a young child that was attacked at a Disney retention pond "beach" a few years ago by a gator and died. And occasionally runners and dogs by the canals in South Florida get attacked and have died. It's no joke.

The springs are usually year round 68 to 72 degrees and crystal clear water by the spring head. I don't think gators like to hang out there. That's the only fresh water I've swam in. Nice for diving with a wet suit but still pretty chilly. Tubing down tbe itchetucknee is a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,572 times
I dont recall the name of the firm but in the early 90’s they mined Limestone for road construction, they dug it up, water filled it up and the contractor sold home sites around the mined holes as lake front properties.

Nice a long as something like this:

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...9d416d01f.html

Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I wouldn't swim in Florida freshwater with gators lurking anywhere
I’d be more concerned with water moccasins than gators.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:19 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I’d be more concerned with water moccasins than gators.
They're both scary when in the water near you lol...

Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I wouldn't swim in Florida freshwater with gators lurking anywhere
A+
Plus water moccasins

Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
From looking at the map and satellite view, most houses seem to have a small lake or canal behind the backyard. I understand the canal that is connected to the ocean so you can take your boat out. But what is the purpose of the mini lakes in every neighborhood? Can you swim in it? They seem too small for kayaking... Are these man made lakes, or they were already there and the construction just went around them?
Gators!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
Where do you go kayaking? In those small lakes, or on the ocean?
Are the Amoebas/aligators/snakes a danger for kayakers? Basiclaly I have to step into the water in order to push the kayak on water.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Are the Amoebas/aligators/snakes a danger for kayakers? Basiclaly I have to step into the water in order to push the kayak on water.
Kayak pretty much anywhere. My favorite spots are Wekiva River and the Indian River.

Yes, there are all of those things in the water, and yes, you should watch out for them if/when you have to get in the water to push the craft.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
I go kayaking on lakes, rivers, springs. I’d say there is very little danger from those things to kayakers. You’re much more likely to get hurt driving there than when you are actually there. Gators never bother me when kayaking, they just sit on a log looking dead. Snakes aren’t going to jump out of the water into your kayak. Amoebas can only happen through your nose and it’s so rare people actually get it. You’re more likely to get murdered than die from ameobas. Now I wouldn’t recommend swimming in lakes or rivers, but there are springs perfectly safe for swimming. The risk is equal to swimming in the ocean imo. I’m an avid water outdoors person, besides a few big lakes, you’ll be fine. Like I said, driving is a lot more dangerous but people have irrational fears.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We get about 80 inches of rain a year and storm sewers can’t always keep up with the full pace of a proper summer thunderstorm. So nicely landscaped retention ponds are common.

In addition to gators, the ponds can also house poisonous snakes like cottonmouths and brain-eating amoebas, so yeah, not for recreational purposes
Yes retention ponds were not designed to swim in as they are in effect stagnate water storage areas. The bigger ones do have fountains to keep it moving and reduce mosquitoes, but not a place to swim. I live in a development with lots of them and several are used for fishing, but that is it. They do drag the ponds for gators so not real big issue and even then only for pets and small children as gators basically do not attack humans, particularly adults. A friend has one in a large pond behind her house and it is never a problem. Comes out and sits by her deck at times, but never aggressive and if someone comes by it jumps back in the pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida