Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I swear I thought that's what was left over when the "dining experience" was finished. Surely you could find something that looks more appetizing?

"Fill up on the good stuff" and they show a plate of chicken and waffles? Adding an ounce of cole slaw won't put that on any dietician's list of good stuff. And tell me why they show a horse when they're talking about food. Is that where Maximum Security is destined today? I could not pull up the menu but that's just a blessing in disguise, I suppose. I note in the catering section they can have my order ready in 2,875 minutes. "Grab and go?"

Are there no restaurants in that town at all?
The menu, from what I see, consists of Shrimp n grits, chicken n waffles, beer battered cod, pan-fried salmon, and pan roasted pork tenderloin... If that salmon looks anything like the one in the picture, that's a hard "no" for me.

It's not cheap either... $16...
The chicken n waffles is $14.

If people enjoy this, good for them. I just don't see the need for this. And it certainly isn't "healthy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 02:36 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The menu, from what I see, consists of Shrimp n grits, chicken n waffles, beer battered cod, pan-fried salmon, and pan roasted pork tenderloin... If that salmon looks anything like the one in the picture, that's a hard "no" for me.

If people enjoy this, good for them. I just don't see the need for this. And it certainly isn't "healthy."
I don't think it's supposed to be healthy. Kroger is not a health food store.

What it is supposed to be is cheaper than local restaurants.

Those prices may be cheaper than local restaurants in that area.

Here in Tampa, the local diner (which is cheap) has chicken and waffles for $16.

And $16 for a grilled salmon plate seems like a good deal.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I don't think it's supposed to be healthy. Kroger is not a health food store.

What it is supposed to be is cheaper than local restaurants.

Those prices may be cheaper than local restaurants in that area.

Here in Tampa, the local diner (which is cheap) has chicken and waffles for $16.

And $16 for a grilled salmon plate seems like a good deal.
Understandable.

I just don't see the appeal.

Clearly, some do. To each their own.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Understandable.

I just don't see the appeal.

Clearly, some do. To each their own.

The typical American consumer is always trying to solve the problem of "What's for dinner?"

What is the difference between:

Hot grilled salmon from the Publix deli (assuming they have it) and a couple side dishes

Hot grilled salmon entree w/ sides at Bonefish Grill

The difference is price.

Grocery stores are trying to tempt consumers into ordering dinner from them and not from restaurants. Which is why Wegmans this week launched restaurant (hot food) delivery. They will be delivering cooked hot foods and cold foods, such as pizza, Chinese food, Indian food, subs, sushi, etc. All the hot and cold prepared foods found in their store restaurants.

They are trying to tempt shoppers into ordering pizza delivery from them, not the local pizza joint.
They are trying to tempt shoppers into ordering Chinese food delivery from them, not the local Chinese joint.

Would you order pizza delivery from Publix (assuming it was cheaper than Domino's or the other local pizza joint)? I would not b/c I'm super picky about pizza. But most people aren't super picky and care only about getting food quick and cheap.

Again, the reason grocery stores are doing this is to generate higher margins and provide what the people want, which apparently is more prepared/ready-cooked foods.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:41 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I swear I thought that's what was left over when the "dining experience" was finished. Surely you could find something that looks more appetizing?
haha I thought that picture was the meal plate after someone had finished it too!!

Old 05-08-2019, 04:28 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:

That looks terrible. I have a diner I can walk to to get better food than that for cheaper. Sitting in a grocery store to eat a meal holds ZERO appeal for me.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That looks terrible. I have a diner I can walk to to get better food than that for cheaper. Sitting in a grocery store to eat a meal holds ZERO appeal for me.

That's why grocery stores have groceries for people like you, and grocery stores have restaurants and prepared foods for people who want their food cooked for them at a grocery store price. There is even a name for this. It's called a "grocerant".

https://www.eater.com/2017/2/27/1470...-grocery-store

And it's not just Whole Foods. Traditional supermarkets are doing it all over the country. Per the article, "At Mariano’s in Chicago, shoppers will find live pianists, grill outs, wine tastings, and gelato shops."

Today's grocery store is no longer a grocery store. It is much more than that. Because consumers are demanding it.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Wow this thread is still going strong. I took a few days off from C-D lol.

Quote:
Hmm, looking at those "deals," I see that you can get a Publix Bakery Angel Food Cake, Light and Fluffy, 15 oz, at BOGO for $6.49 (I assume that means two cakes for $6.49).
Okay. I guess we're ignoring the BOGO ABF Springer Farms chicken, $0.75 Hellman's mustard, $0.50 Earth's Best Organic baby food, etc. In the cycle that starts tomorrow, there are money makers on Dove Men and Axe Shampoo. Despite its high-price reputation, It tends to be a favorite amongst coupon blogs that cover multiple grocery stores in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Let me reiterate my point.....I don't mind someone attempting to hold a genuine and unique conversation with me, not at all. What is annoying to me about Publix is the fact that employees are told to ask the same question to every single person, day after day, month after month, year after year.
It still happens everywhere. I did decide to be honest one day and mention an item I couldn't find when I didn't get everything I needed, and I think I threw the cashier off-guard. Lol.

Quote:
Speaking of technology, I asked the Publix cashier yesterday whether they would be adding Apple Pay. She said "there's so much demand for it, everyone asks for it, I'm sure we will."
Hopefully soon. However, it is not just Apple Pay, and Publix isn't the only company slow to accept it (aka Walmart, Kroger and previously other stores that were part of the defunct MCX). It seems to be an issue of data-management and drafting satisfying contracts with multiple NFC wallets.

"Apple is easy to work with because it does not market customer data as part of its business model," Mott said. "But merchants have to create contracts with other providers that would be satisfactory to them. Merchants have to accept all NFC wallets, by rule, but the jury is still out on whether they need them all, with options like QR codes, and we haven't resolved those issues yet."
https://www.paymentssource.com/news/...r-only-wallets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
Most grocery stores arent designed to be anything special. You go in, get your stuff and go on with your day.

This recent fascination with turning every mundane experience of everyday life into some luxury experience is bizarre. If I need something more top-end I'll just drive to Whole Foods instead. Big deal.
True, but it seems like everyone that markets to the middle is dying. What's missing in the "Amazon is destroying everyone" narrative is the reality that many discount and luxury brands are thriving while places that cater to the middle class are the ones slipping away.

Quote:
There is a very good reason why other grocery stores (not Publix) are redesigning their stores in order to offer what you call "luxury experiences".
Like the designer in the article I linked here somewhere.

You're correct. I just don't see how Publix can do that in its existing real estate without taking out an aisle or two of shelf space. Then people will be complaining about "poor selection" even more. Also, the stores that people bring up in comparison have much smaller footprints. Wegmans: 90? Lucky's: 30-40? Whole Foods: 450? Would Wegmans be Wegmans with 1,200-1,800 locations? HEB? Lucky's? Sprouts? Those smaller brands take all the risks, and the large/legacy stores (Kroger, Publix, Alberstons) take aspects of what's working and integrate it. That's why Whole Foods lost 10+ million customers in the first quarter of 2017 prior to Amazon's acquisition erasing that from the headlines. Kroger (Publix in Florida), Costco, etc. effectively played catch-up.

Quote:
I'm really hoping Publix never does this.
Quote:
Here is the website for Kroger's (growing) chain of restaurants, called Kitchen 1883.

These Kitchen 1883 restaurants are in Kroger stores.
"Growing chain" with only one location and maybe one on its way... It looks delicious though.

I have harped on the grocerant thing in the past, but it has grown on me. However, I still kinda find it hard to wrap my head around the idea that the main thing that everyone raves about with these other stores is not the quality/price of the ingredients to take home and cook but their prepared foods.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

Okay. I guess we're ignoring the BOGO ABF Springer Farms chicken, $0.75 Hellman's mustard, $0.50 Earth's Best Organic baby food, etc. In the cycle that starts tomorrow, there are money makers on Dove Men and Axe Shampoo.
Okay this actually makes me hate Publix a little bit because I despise the smell of Axe and don't want anything that encourages more men to use it.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Okay this actually makes me hate Publix a little bit because I despise the smell of Axe and don't want anything that encourages more men to use it.
They have good deals on Dove Men and Nivea products. I get mine from there when they go on BOGO. I, too, don't like Axe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida