Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfreakingshine247 View Post
Of course you can. But if they make you pay 10 cents or whatever for every plastic bag you need, that's an incentive to BYOBag. In England, all shops charge 10p for each plastic bag. Of course there are times when I've forgot to bring a bag and it's too bad, but we need to eventually move away from all of these single use plastic bags. America isn't England, obviously, but it's a great thing and should catch on. I've re-used my Tesco's/Waitrose/Morrisons or whatever bags over and over again, and it's just what you do.

I've found that YMMV w/ bagging. Which is why I mentioned paper. It's like I've asked them to perform complex mathematics. I'm not picky, just throw it in!! (Other people are picky, though, I get it.) Just don't give me anymore of those plastic bags. Please.

At walmart, they have the bags on the spinning thingy. America in a nutshell LOL

Back on the topic of Publix, though, they have the best in-grocery-store bakery (in Florida). Fight me on this. You can't.
I agree that they should charge per bag. I’d have no qualms paying for the plastic bags.

As for the bakery, I like it too. But be careful posting that here, lest you want to incur the wrath of Sinatras... It won’t take long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 07:00 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:

Back on the topic of Publix, though, they have the best in-grocery-store bakery (in Florida). Fight me on this. You can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree that they should charge per bag. I’d have no qualms paying for the plastic bags.

As for the bakery, I like it too. But be careful posting that here, lest you want to incur the wrath of Sinatras... It won’t take long.

Yes. That wrath is coming lol. But he/she did say "in Florida," so maybe it won't be as bad.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:

I know their Cuban bread isn't terribly authentic, but it's quite good at a time when surprisingly hard to get a nice 'better' white bread these days that isn't some sort of sicky-sweet brioche. I know Whole Foods bakery varies based on location, and at my local one, there is no middle ground between the 50 shades of spelt loaves and the *bleep* brioche.

I just wish someone, anyone, around here would sell a multipack of genuinely good croissants for a reasonable price. They're a staple of any two star hotel breakfast buffet in Europe so there's a way of making them affordably, but, since the local Fresh Market lost their one bakery employee who knew how to run an oven, they're either tough and overcooked or underdone and greasy in these parts.

I'm indifferent to most Publix tv ads, but do really like the 'I'll Be Home for Christmas' one because it was scripted/made by people who have actually spent December in Florida and adjacent states and captures the festive season as it really is down here and is not someone in California or New York's stereotype of what life in Florida superficially is.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:54 AM

88 posts, read 74,152 times
Croissant? C'est La Vie, SRQ

Old 07-31-2019, 11:08 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Our publix pharmacy has gone from 5 stars to barely 1 star over the past year. I actually moved my prescriptions to AN independent pharmacy nearby.
The motto for publix pharmacy should be "we don't care, and it shows!"

Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 6,704 times
yes, I did say IN FLORIDA and also IN STORE. LOL And I've given up on any sort of croissant here in the States. But now that I think about it, the Fresh Market in the area has a decent bakery, but I never shop there because it just feels too posh.

The local WinnDixie's bakery is atrocious. Bought a loaf of bread once. Was undercooked and doughy. Gross. Learnt my lesson.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The only thing I've ever liked from the Winn-Dixie bakery was those oatmeal-chocolate-peanut butter 'no bake' cookies.

Lucky's is almost there with the croissant- the texture is actually right but like all their in-house breads I've tried, it's weirdly lacking in anything resembling in flavor and I have to drive through the zombie apocalypse zone (the parts of Panama City hardest hit by Hurricane Michael) to get to the nearest one an hour away from home so I don't bother unless there's some other reason to be in Panama City, which is rare.

Starbucks makes a reasonably good croissant in the USA, but it's expensive enough I only really get them for breakfast on road trips.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Our publix pharmacy has gone from 5 stars to barely 1 star over the past year. I actually moved my prescriptions to AN independent pharmacy nearby.
Publix pharmacies are awful. So overpriced.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Publix pharmacies are awful. So overpriced.
Your alternatives for pharmacy beyond Publix are CVS, Walgreen's, Walmart, and independents. Publix has its share of issues. Those issues are not to the extent of CVS, Walgreen's, and Walmart.

Prescription prices are high everywhere. If you have prescription coverage, your copay should be consistent if you stay within your pharmacy network.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:50 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Your alternatives for pharmacy beyond Publix are CVS, Walgreen's, Walmart, and independents. Publix has its share of issues. Those issues are not to the extent of CVS, Walgreen's, and Walmart.

Prescription prices are high everywhere. If you have prescription coverage, your copay should be consistent if you stay within your pharmacy network.
Fortunately, we have a 5 star Indy pharmacy near by

THE publix we have nearby has gotten so bad that even my PCP hates dealing with them. That is a problem. Not price but really bad service. No one at Publix seems to care either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida