Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 01:28 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
that's a little bitty yellowtail....no danger of ever running out of them

...I buy that size for bait live....for $3
Exactly.

Occasionally, I buy it cooked for lunch from this place:

Snapper Escovitch | Caribbean Sunshine Bakery

Again, $20-$29 for one of these, uncooked, is outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM

18,425 posts, read 8,258,982 times
...oh my Lord that looks good!

Old 09-06-2019, 02:53 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
$29 for a whole fish, especially if the fish is from the more desirable U.S. waters, is a steal! You do realize we are running out of wild fish?????? I have paid a lot more than that for a filet of wild halibut at both Publix and Whole Foods. Both stores routinely have wild fish at $29 a pound and up! at least this fish is pre-marinated and includes a plank!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
$29 for a snapper is a HORRIBLE deal, no matter how you try to cut it. It’s a snapper. Snapper is not expensive, anywhere. You’re paying for the prep, which, in this case, is outrageous. That same fish is around $10 (IIRC, less than that) at Publix and Whole Foods (when available.) Probably is at Wegmans too, when not sprinkled with a few punches of salt and pepper and decorated with slices of lemon.

*Publix certainly isn’t my go-to for seafood either, unless they have sockeye or keta on sale.
I'm not too well versed in seafood and actually need to start incorporating more than salmon into my diet for the sake of variety, so I won't get into a debate about pricing. However, we all know that pre-seasoned meats are probably one of the largest markups in the grocery store. For me, I could see myself buying it just to try, and then if I like it, making that dish on my own in the future. Anyway, to Wegmans' credit, it is fascinating that they have been able to build their reputation based on the most profitable and mark-up-able part of the store: prepared foods. You'll occasionally get comments about their low prices or center store products variety, but for the most part, most of its fans rave about the bakery, pizza, sandwiches, in-house restaurants, buffet counters, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
How does everyone feel about WaWa? They weren't a thing here just a short time ago. Do you think they're a little better than the competition? I think they'll take a major share of the convenience store market. I think Wegmans would do the same in their niche.. Theoretically that is since I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Wawa seems to be doing very well since they keep expanding. However, the competition hasn't been stagnant. RaceTrac has built more and better stores, and 7-Eleven seemed to go the acquisition route, even having stores across the street from each other. People keep saying if such and such store comes to Florida, Publix will be put out of business. No they won't. They will adapt. That's what they've done in areas served by Trader Joe's, Lucky's, etc. They may not do what individuals in this forum want them to do, but they're not sitting there doing nothing. The only grocer that always ends up closing stores when a new grocer comes to the area is Winn-Dixie.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:46 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I'm not too well versed in seafood and actually need to start incorporating more than salmon into my diet for the sake of variety, so I won't get into a debate about pricing. However, we all know that pre-seasoned meats are probably one of the largest markups in the grocery store. For me, I could see myself buying it just to try, and then if I like it, making that dish on my own in the future. Anyway, to Wegmans' credit, it is fascinating that they have been able to build their reputation based on the most profitable and mark-up-able part of the store: prepared foods. You'll occasionally get comments about their low prices or center store products variety, but for the most part, most of its fans rave about the bakery, pizza, sandwiches, in-house restaurants, buffet counters, etc.

I agree with all of this. And this is something that I occasionally do (or used to, before I became confident enough in my cooking skills to try my own recipes.)
I credit them for having such an item available for purchase. I was merely replying to the post indicating that it's some sort of good deal/bargain -- it's not. At all.

Personally, I'd be happy if Wegman's opened shop in Florida, but good luck pushing Publix off of the pedestal in the state. It's going to be tough.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:31 PM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Quote:
How does everyone feel about WaWa? They weren't a thing here just a short time ago. Do you think they're a little better than the competition? I think they'll take a major share of the convenience store market. I think Wegmans would do the same in their niche.. Theoretically that is since I don't see it happening anytime soon.
WAWA is a well run operation that will build some fierce loyalty in Florida. They are know for great sandwiches and coffee. In one of their high volume stores in their home state of PA, it can be pretty stunning to see the volume of coffee and fresh made hoagies, soups, breakfast sandwiches, and more, that rolls out the door, all day, every day. They can, and do, blow the doors off nearby competition. Sheetz is the only real competition they have in PA, and the other chains have a lot of catching up to do.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:37 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
that's a little bitty yellowtail....no danger of ever running out of them

...I buy that size for bait live....for $3

Here is one of the biggest seafood sellers on the Internet. They will ship fresh seafood anywhere in the U.S. I buy from them all the time. Their quality is excellent. Their price for yellowtail snapper is $22.50 per fish. Right around the price at Wegmans ($15.99 a pound) according to that photo

https://shop.fultonfishmarket.com/fr...l-snapper.html

I would rather buy yellowtail snapper from a reputable grocer like Fulton, Wegmans, Publix or Whole Foods at whatever price than buy it from some bait shop or third-rate ethnic retailer. . I have paid a lot more than that for yellowtail snapper portions at a restaurant. I would pay a lot more than that if a fisherman sold me a yellowtail snapper he just fished out of the water. I commend Wegmans for their snapper prices and most important, the freshness of the fish (quite obvious in the photo) as well as the amazing presentation, which costs the retailer money to put on the shelf. I have never seen this kind of presentation or freshness at Publix. I have seen it occasionally at Whole Foods but not on a plank.

I'm off to buy some more wild halibut at Whole Foods. I expect my filet to cost at least $40 since it is never less than $29 a pound. As it always does.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:16 PM

18,425 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Here is one of the biggest seafood sellers on the Internet. They will ship fresh seafood anywhere in the U.S. I buy from them all the time. Their quality is excellent. Their price for yellowtail snapper is $22.50 per fish. Right around the price at Wegmans ($15.99 a pound) according to that photo

https://shop.fultonfishmarket.com/fr...l-snapper.html

I would rather buy yellowtail snapper from a reputable grocer like Fulton, Wegmans, Publix or Whole Foods at whatever price than buy it from some bait shop or third-rate ethnic retailer. . I have paid a lot more than that for yellowtail snapper portions at a restaurant. I would pay a lot more than that if a fisherman sold me a yellowtail snapper he just fished out of the water. I commend Wegmans for their snapper prices and most important, the freshness of the fish (quite obvious in the photo) as well as the amazing presentation, which costs the retailer money to put on the shelf. I have never seen this kind of presentation or freshness at Publix. I have seen it occasionally at Whole Foods but not on a plank.

I'm off to buy some more wild halibut at Whole Foods. I expect my filet to cost at least $40 since it is never less than $29 a pound. As it always does.
what are you going on about now?.....I buy that size for bait....and use it for bait...$3...that's all..and they are alive

...and you don't need to throw in the "third-rate ethnic retailer" part for drama effect...

Fulton is in New York...so they catch the fish here...pack and ship it to New York...wait to sell it....and then turn around and pack and ship it back here.....is that what you're saying?

...if that's it, no wonder it's so expensive...and probably not near as fresh as you think it is

More than likely they are buying them from Mexico...we're not allowed to use nets for schoolies...hook and line only...Mexico can use nets so they're cheaper

Last edited by Corrie22; 09-06-2019 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-07-2019, 05:04 AM

451 posts, read 455,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

Wawa seems to be doing very well since they keep expanding. However, the competition hasn't been stagnant. RaceTrac has built more and better stores, and 7-Eleven seemed to go the acquisition route, even having stores across the street from each other. People keep saying if such and such store comes to Florida, Publix will be put out of business. No they won't. They will adapt. That's what they've done in areas served by Trader Joe's, Lucky's, etc. They may not do what individuals in this forum want them to do, but they're not sitting there doing nothing. The only grocer that always ends up closing stores when a new grocer comes to the area is Winn-Dixie.
It will take a while but unless the competition changes their business model, WaWa will dominate. I saw it happen in Pa and NJ. When WaWa started coming to the Vero area, Cumberland farms started improving their stores appearance and adding gas stations. I don't see it helping for very long as long as they keep their prepackaged food and horrible coffee.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:31 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
It will take a while but unless the competition changes their business model, WaWa will dominate. I saw it happen in Pa and NJ. When WaWa started coming to the Vero area, Cumberland farms started improving their stores appearance and adding gas stations. I don't see it helping for very long as long as they keep their prepackaged food and horrible coffee.
True. I don't go inside gas stations too much, but based on what I've seen, 7-Eleven is essentially the same with just more locations due to their acquisitions and new construction. But they have plenty of brand-equity to live off of though.

I've never been in an "old" RaceTrac if there is such a thing. However, when I've visited newer locations recently, I saw that the stores are nearly the same size as Wawa with a lot of on-the-go food options, clean bathrooms, as well as coffee dispensers with whole bean coffee canisters on top that grind the coffee for your cup.

Based on what I hear people say about Wegmans, Texas-based Bucee's is the convenience store equivalent. Unlike Wegmans, I've been there. They've expanded beyond Texas, opening one off I-10 near Mobile, Alabama, recently and having one planned or in the works for LPGA Blvd and I-95 in Daytona as well as another I-95 interchange location in Central or North Florida. I don't see them dotting the landscape like Wawa, but I'm curious how nearby 7-Eleven, Wawa, and RaceTrac locations on the Florida side will fare. Like Texas-based H-E-B, the whole Texas thing is a huge part of their identity and what makes them so popular. H-E-B tried to expand out-of-state, but that didn't last too long. Interestingly, they have stores in Mexico. I even wonder what a Bucee's without the Texas fanfare will even look like.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
I think there's plenty of the competition pie for those not all that enthused about Wawa. Not everyone finds the ability to one stop shop for food and gas appealing, or the consistent swarm of people and traffic in their lot. To me it's another WalMart in terms of experience, which I have managed to avoid for years. When I go for gas I want to get in, fill up and leave minus the hectic experience...or if wanting something to eat quick, grab a ready to go item as featured at 7-Eleven or Race Trac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida