Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:35 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times

Advertisements

Wegman's couldn't be bothered to open by my house so I'm gonna go with Publix. Close thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 03:49 PM

123 posts, read 203,595 times
Publix has good customer service with a friendly attitude.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:44 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
In my area we have Publix.And they are finishing a tiny Lucky's down the road a small Aldi's is being built. The trend here is small.
Yes^^^. The trend these days is SMALL. That is what people want, and that is what the stores are providing including Publix.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I have lived in Florida for 2.5 years and shopped at Publix at least 200 times. I lived in Buffalo NY for 60+ years and shopped at Wegmans thousands of times. Publix has 12 times the amount of stores and dominates Florida with 800 stores which is 8 times the total Wegmans store count....
FYI - I love Publix and its my go to store. I love the experience and the nice vibe there.
Yes. Many of the stores that people compare to Publix are MUCH smaller in footprint (i.e. Wegmans, H-E-B, Meijer, Lucky's, etc.) Would those stores still be the same with 1,300 units? I feel like that is the problem Amazon is having with Whole Foods. Some of the things that made Whole Foods special such as managers' latitude over merchandise, brands not paying for specific shelf placement, etc. has to be changed if they want to be Kroger-size someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I don't see a demand in Florida for 150,000 square foot grocery stores. People in Florida are totally fine with what Publix offers. It's enough for them. They don't aspire to anything larger or better.
I've been to H-E-B in Texas. Those are massive stores. While a really fine store, I feel like the main difference is that they put things on display in greater quantities. If Publix has 20 lemons on display at a time, H-E-B has 90. I guess Publix doesn't have to do that if they have a 3-4 stores surrounding the master-planned community (like Orlando's Lake Nona) as opposed to there likely being just one H-E-B if they were here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
In my area we have Publix.And they are finishing a tiny Lucky's down the road a small Aldi's is being built. The trend here is small.
2015:
I remember reading in the Business Journal years ago that Publix was trying to build smaller stores, primarily to build in limited spaces in downtowns and beach communities.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...News/605199435
https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...totype-in.html

Quote:
The grocer has dozens of prototypes to enable it to adapt to available real estate, once it decides it wants to be in a particular market. The smaller prototype, rumored for years, would be around 20,000 square feet, while its current urban footprint is around 28,000 square feet.
The debut this model in Gainesville and also open one in downtown St. Pete. Announces the revival of Greenwise Market.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...-with-new.html

2017-18

The hottest stores in grocery nationwide? Small format stores like Aldi, Lidl, Sprouts, Lucky's, Trader Joe's, and Greenwise-like spinoffs from regional chains known for their big stores.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/sup...g-down/541040/
https://www.grocerydive.com/news/gro...stores/544377/

Maybe the folks in Lakeland know what they're doing despite complaints from transplants. :-)

Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 PM

60 posts, read 241,426 times
Wegman's isn't cheaper than Publix, but the quality of their food is unbeatable. That being said, they are not building any Wegman's in Central Florida, so Publix wins my business.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:18 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmiami View Post
Wegman's isn't cheaper than Publix, but the quality of their food is unbeatable. That being said, they are not building any Wegman's in Central Florida, so Publix wins my business.
Wegmans IS cheaper than Publix. For example I paid 49 cents a pound for chicken leg quarters, 1.79 for boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1.79 for a gallon of milk. I have never seen prices like that at any Publix.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:38 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Wegmans IS cheaper than Publix. For example I paid 49 cents a pound for chicken leg quarters, 1.79 for boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1.79 for a gallon of milk. I have never seen prices like that at any Publix.
Upstate NY has cheaper milk to begin with. Wegmans prepared food and bakery is way more expensive than Publix.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:51 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Upstate NY has cheaper milk to begin with. Wegmans prepared food and bakery is way more expensive than Publix.

I don't know who is cheaper. But I can say that I will pay more for higher quality. In other words, I will gladly pay more ($10? $15?) for an organic sub with freshly prepared organic ingredients at Wegmans than $8 for a sub at Publix that is essentially a cancer sandwich. Publix sells low quality at not a low price. Wegmans sells high quality at not a low price. They are both too expensive. But one (Wegmans) sells higher quality than the other.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Wegmans isn't cheaper than Publix. That's a lie. I still remember the chocolate chip cookies they used to advertise for $10/lb in their bakery and the little $8 cakes they used to sell
I remember their chocolate chip cookies also. And their gorgonzola & ham scones. And their chocolate cranberry breads. And their freshly made, ALL-BUTTER tarts, chocolate croissants, cheddar biscuits, English muffins, and on and on.

Makes the Publix bakery look like Winn-Dixie's.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:58 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I don't know who is cheaper. But I can say that I will pay more for higher quality. In other words, I will gladly pay more ($10? $15?) for an organic sub with freshly prepared organic ingredients at Wegmans than $8 for a sub at Publix that is essentially a cancer sandwich. Publix sells low quality at not a low price. Wegmans sells high quality at not a low price. They are both too expensive. But one (Wegmans) sells higher quality than the other.
Wegmans quality is on par with Publix for a sandwich... You're deluding yourself if you think Wegmans exclusively sells organic, nitrite free meat. Even whole foods sells conventional stuff. If we were talking about subway, you might have a point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida