Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 AM

486 posts, read 516,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpearce88 View Post
Nice! I pay $289 a month for public transportation. Didn’t know about the express bus. So I would be sitting in the same traffic I would drive in? Most likely will have to pay for parking so this may be a good option for me. Thanks! No flooding has happened here?
I know my old neighborhood in Tomball, right up against the woodlands had no flooding from Harvey. The street flooded, but none of the houses. The streets are designed for that though. Some parts of the Woodlands flooded though, mostly in the Creekside area. I no longer live there though(moved 5 years ago), so I cannot fully speak for flooding.

The express buses used to take the HOV lanes, which might make it faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM

90 posts, read 62,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I know my old neighborhood in Tomball, right up against the woodlands had no flooding from Harvey. The street flooded, but none of the houses. The streets are designed for that though. Some parts of the Woodlands flooded though, mostly in the Creekside area. I no longer live there though(moved 5 years ago), so I cannot fully speak for flooding.

The express buses used to take the HOV lanes, which might make it faster.
Saw the flooding in Kingwood from the rain this week. Guessing further north you go then flooding is possibly not an issue. Guess my fear is losing my car in a flood. Not planning to move until March but planning now. Houston is back on the top of my list.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:42 AM

486 posts, read 516,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpearce88 View Post
Saw the flooding in Kingwood from the rain this week. Guessing further north you go then flooding is possibly not an issue. Guess my fear is losing my car in a flood. Not planning to move until March but planning now. Houston is back on the top of my list.
I would suggest posting on the Houston forum. Kingwood got slammed by Harvey too. Its too bad because its a lovely town. I really love the trees arching over the roads everywhere there. Flooding can happen anywhere in Texas, there are creeks and streams all over the place, and they can get swollen and flood from the heavy rains. Its more important to find a community that has a good water management plan, like the Woodlands does. Only the recent expansion areas(like Creekside) seem to regularly flood. Current locals would be able to tell you more though.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:28 PM

90 posts, read 62,688 times
Quote:
I would suggest posting on the Houston forum. Kingwood got slammed by Harvey too. Its too bad because its a lovely town. I really love the trees arching over the roads everywhere there. Flooding can happen anywhere in Texas, there are creeks and streams all over the place, and they can get swollen and flood from the heavy rains. Its more important to find a community that has a good water management plan, like the Woodlands does. Only the recent expansion areas(like Creekside) seem to regularly flood. Current locals would be able to tell you more though.
I actually posted there first and woodlands wasn’t even suggested to me. I may ask specifically about certain areas. Was told to look up places where Harvey flooded and the Tax Day flood.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I should have been more specific perhaps by saying AROUND The Woodlands. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...68_rect/11_zm/
Looks good

Old 05-11-2019, 01:07 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
200k wont get you into the woodlands unless you are willing to get a townhouse or an old house that will probably need a lot of work.

On the north side you are better off looking in Klein ISD or Tomball ISD (Tomball, TX). Plenty of newer areas in those school districts that do not flood. There is data out there about the flooding in Harvey, just look around at areas that you are interested in and see if they flooded. If they did not flood from Harvey, they really will never flood.

I do agree that Houston is a good fit at the sub-$200k compared to Miami. You also have the hurricane issue in Miami, so neither area will avoid potential large scale damage completely. Most companies pay more in Houston too.
He can buy 4 or 5 homes for 200k in west Pasco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: