Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,512 times

Advertisements

My gf and I are looking to relocate somewhere in Florida, we are in our late 20s, no children yet, we do have a dog. My gf is originally from Connecticut and I was raised in Miami. We are currently living in Miami. However, we are tired of the Miami lifestyle fe: traffic, overpriced, over populated, etc. We have been doing our research but it has been difficult to decide on a place. We are open to moving more north of Florida like Orlando, Tampa etc. We are young professionals making around 120k together. Hoping to get insight from others. We plan to start a family in the next few years. Looking for somewhere enjoyable, safe, and affordable to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 AM

26,917 posts, read 43,427,444 times
Orlando (and to a slightly lesser degree, Tampa) is rapidly becoming less than affordable and with current population growth quickly reaching the type of congestion you're looking to get away from now. For job opportunity and a lower cost of living minus the congestion anytime soon you might look at Jacksonville. The Jacksonville suburbs in St Johns County (southside) are a good commute option, ranked the top school district in the state and is very safe with lots of family friendly neighborhoods. Check out Julington Creek, Nocatee (a huge planned community) and Durbin Creek.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:10 PM

91 posts, read 165,477 times
Well, I'd say you have good problems. Making 120K together is a really good start if your in your late 20s in Florida. Jobs obviously will be the most important part of your search. Not sure what types of jobs you have, so suggesting a city is a little difficult. If starting a family, it'll come down to schools and neighborhoods and what fits your needs.
Orlando is getting the same as South Florida, so if your tired of the rat race, don't move there.
Tampa/St.Pete might be a good fit, that was my first feeling, but still, big city type stuff.

I'm a homer for the Melbourne area. We moved out of Broward to get out of the madness a little bit ago. I love the Brevard County area and think its a great place to raise a family. Away from the circus, but close enough. Good schools. The problem there will be the jobs for you guys.

Jacksonville is an up and coming city worth checking out, but still has a way to go in my opinion.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM

24,339 posts, read 26,758,545 times
Orlando would be a good option.

Possibly Tampa, but I like Orlando a lot more.

Expensive for Florida, but not for the NE... Boca Raton or Weston

Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 PM

9,309 posts, read 8,215,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando (and to a slightly lesser degree, Tampa) is rapidly becoming less than affordable and with current population growth quickly reaching the type of congestion you're looking to get away from now. For job opportunity and a lower cost of living minus the congestion anytime soon you might look at Jacksonville. The Jacksonville suburbs in St Johns County (southside) are a good commute option, ranked the top school district in the state and is very safe with lots of family friendly neighborhoods. Check out Julington Creek, Nocatee (a huge planned community) and Durbin Creek.
It's odd to me how you recommend Jacksonville no matter who is asking or what their situation is. Retired and on a pension? Jacksonville! Young and seeking nightlife? Jacksonville! Looking for great beaches? Jacksonville!

Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 PM

24,339 posts, read 26,758,545 times
Whoever sent me the rep for my post and wanted to know my opinion, send me a direct message because it doesn't tell me who you are. You mentioned you are from SF, I moved to FL from SF too.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,919,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It's odd to me how you recommend Jacksonville no matter who is asking or what their situation is. Retired and on a pension? Jacksonville! Young and seeking nightlife? Jacksonville! Looking for great beaches? Jacksonville!
Yeah OP is from, and currently living in, Miami. Jacksonville might be too much of a departure...

Orlando and Tampa would be my suggestions to check out.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,282,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Jacksonville is a LARGE city area wise and offers a large mix of everything people generally want. Not what I wanted, but it is a popular and growing city because of its size. It is the largest city land wise in the US.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:07 PM

254 posts, read 255,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Jacksonville is a LARGE city area wise and offers a large mix of everything people generally want. Not what I wanted, but it is a popular and growing city because of its size. It is the largest city land wise in the US.
Yes, but "landwise" does not mean anything other than that you have to drive long distances to get anywhere.

"everything people generally want": What could that be? We lived in Jax for over 10 years and I really don't know where the action and excitement would be that young people are looking for. We were bored to death in Jax. It is a rather provincial big city. I really don't know whether there is any interesting entertainment for young people. IMO it is the opposite of Miami. Also, the mentality of the people is rather "old South" than Floridian.

St. John's county has appeal for families with school aged children because it has good schools. But other than that I know nothing that makes it interesting, especially not for a young couple without children.

In Jax I felt as if life had forgotten about me (and I am not young anymore). Now living in Orlando, I feel in the midst of where the action is and I am happy! Jax was not for me!

Old 05-14-2019, 06:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,282,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
Yes, but "landwise" does not mean anything other than that you have to drive long distances to get anywhere.

"everything people generally want": What could that be? We lived in Jax for over 10 years and I really don't know where the action and excitement would be that young people are looking for. We were bored to death in Jax. It is a rather provincial big city. I really don't know whether there is any interesting entertainment for young people. IMO it is the opposite of Miami. Also, the mentality of the people is rather "old South" than Floridian.

St. John's county has appeal for families with school aged children because it has good schools. But other than that I know nothing that makes it interesting, especially not for a young couple without children.

In Jax I felt as if life had forgotten about me (and I am not young anymore). Now living in Orlando, I feel in the midst of where the action is and I am happy! Jax was not for me!
Each person is different, Jacksonville is growing fast and for good reason.

Again I would not live there, nor in Miami or Orlando or Tampa. I wanted easy beach access, good restaurants, minimal traffic, minimal Snowbirds and a laid back life style. Found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida