Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 PM

66 posts, read 176,308 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated from our home in Bangor, Maine to a medical facility in Leesburg, Fl.

We're a young family with two young children and would love to live in a city that offers more than 55+ communities... which as I am researching the area... it seems there are a lot of those! We would like a town that has shops and restaurants and some culture as well as safety. We can live within 20 miles of Leesburg although a shorter commute would be best.

We can afford a home in the 400's to lower 500's and would love a clean recreational lake house that is walking distance to a great town center. And of course good schools.

We're not from the area so any info would be extremely helpful

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Not to sound like a broken record, but look in Clermont. I'd specifically look at Legends. It's a little over 20 miles but a very easy commute. not walking distance to the town center nor is it on a Lake, but it's a very vibrant community with a lot of activities for all ages and you can get a beautiful home in your price range--or less.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
You might want to check out Mt. Dora. It's a cute town with a small downtown full of shops and restaurants. They also have some annual festivals, the Arts and Crafts one is wonderful. It's right on a huge lake (Lake Dora.. and it's connected by waterways to a few other huge lakes). You'll be able to find a nice house for your price range too. Eustis is a similar town nearby, although smaller.

Cons of Mt. Dora is that I've heard the schools aren't very good (but the schools aren't particularly good anywhere in Lake County). Also.. you're not going to find a whole lot of culture. Or rather, you'll find a lot of southern culture.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Actually all of Clermont's elementary and middle schools are "A" rated. East Ridge High is "C" rated, although I'm hearing that they are expecting to return to a "B" rating this year. With "two young children" I wouldn't base my home purchase on the high schools, chances are high that they will have been transferred again long before that time.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:49 AM

66 posts, read 176,308 times
Great info. Thanks!!! It's hard to get a feel for these towns without a visit... but our first visit may be when we are actually house hunting and then we will have to make a decision quick.

What about Winter Garden? Their website looks intriguing and they are closer to Orlando. So wondering how long the commute to Leesburg would be and also if there is more crime. Anyone know about the schools there?

Just reading that Leesburg has a Montessori there... which is a non religious private school from K-8... it's expensive but I didn't realize that the schools in Lake County weren't all that good (except maybe Cleremont annerk?)... are there any that are known to be the worst? Or better?

What about Tavares? Schools? Downtown? There are nice places on the Chain of Lakes... which seem nice... are they clean lakes?

Thank you again for all this helpful info

Old 03-27-2010, 07:34 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
I am currently in Leesburg.......but we own in one of those "55+ communities".

As others have said, Clermont and Mt Dora are very much worth checking out.

I'm kind of new here, so I m not really qualified to give recommendations. The hospitals around here are quite impressive, IMHO.

There are also some nice places just north of the Leesburg area. I'm sure you have done this, but ask other folks who you will be working with. They should be helpful.

Good luck! Welcome to the area!!

Frank

Old 03-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaclean View Post
Great info. Thanks!!! It's hard to get a feel for these towns without a visit... but our first visit may be when we are actually house hunting and then we will have to make a decision quick.

What about Winter Garden? Their website looks intriguing and they are closer to Orlando. So wondering how long the commute to Leesburg would be and also if there is more crime. Anyone know about the schools there?

Just reading that Leesburg has a Montessori there... which is a non religious private school from K-8... it's expensive but I didn't realize that the schools in Lake County weren't all that good (except maybe Cleremont annerk?)... are there any that are known to be the worst? Or better?

What about Tavares? Schools? Downtown? There are nice places on the Chain of Lakes... which seem nice... are they clean lakes?

Thank you again for all this helpful info
The nicer parts of Winter Garden would be a full 45 minutes or more to Leesburg. The rest of Winter Garden is not at all desirable.

Tavares is not a place I would suggest, it's pretty "blue collar" and I don't think that's what you are looking for. Overall Lake County is pretty rural. You really just need to see it to understand.

Chain of Lakes is clean, but you don't want to swim in them.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
smaclean,
I also just saw last night on TV that there is a new charter type arts, etc school opening and taking apps in Leesburg. Looked impressive.......they said it is the only one like it in all of Florida. At this time, they still had 168 or so openings for this fall.

The lakes are beautiful......but the gators were there first, so it is better to boat in the lakes, and swim in the pools.........

Frank

Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM

9 posts, read 37,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The rest of Winter Garden is not at all desirable.
what he said, your best be is to come see the area for yourself, with that price range your pretty much open

Mt Dora, is ok if you like the artsy-fartsy shops and the traffic for events, not for me

Old 03-28-2010, 10:41 PM

111 posts, read 251,730 times
Question Please don't buy . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaclean View Post
It's hard to get a feel for these towns without a visit... but our first visit may be when we are actually house hunting and then we will have to make a decision quick.
- - - - - -
- I've been in the Real Estate business here for over 30 years and, if you have a job in the Medical Field in Leesburg, you're probably going to have a lot of interaction with the folks that you refer to as "over 55". There's a LOT of us here . . .
- Moderator cut: Soliciting In your situation (New Job, Children in school etc) the LAST thing you should even think about is buying a house. The choices are VERY limited in your price-range, and what's worse, if you do buy and have any kind of change of circumstances, you'll not re-sell without a loss of maybe 25% - a LOT of money - and, that will not happen until our 'busy' season (I.E.Next Winter).
- Check out "Harbor Hills" in Lady Lake Fl 32159 - It's a 'family' community, with extensive 'amenties'. Convenient to Leesburg (15 minute drive) and you can find a really nice home to rent/lease.
- Then you have the next 6 months or so, to decide if your transfer is permanent, and where you will buy - if at all.
- Life in Florida is VERY different from what you're used to in every way. Some folks adjust and love it (Like me) Others? - Not so much . . .!
- There are 'tens of thousands' of Florida Homes for sale right now.
Here's my prediction for you six months from now - "Pleased you leased" OR "Buy and cry".
Hope this helps . . . . . .

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Solicitation Not Allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida