Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 PM

80 posts, read 465,592 times

Advertisements

Im In Vero Beach FL its on the East Coast a little more than 1/2 way down the coast. Nice Beaches not to crowded I prefer the East coast of FL over the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2006, 07:33 AM

28 posts, read 196,456 times
We swim in the rivers and springs all the time Check out parts of the Santa Fe river Ginnie springs kids, dogs everybody tubes the river.Learn how Gaters live. and learn to live with gaters. Some of the best swimming and nature can be found at Florida springs. Have respect for Florida nature. Everything has a purpose. Without all the spiders we would be overrun with insects. Some folks think Florida is Stripmalls,StripClubs, and StripMines. "The Blue Tarp State" or "Florida WERE PAVING IT AS FAST AS WE CAN ! " There is much more here. Help keep Florida natural. PLEASE

Old 05-16-2006, 01:08 AM

38 posts, read 217,493 times
Thank you for the info, I'm glad to hear from someone who swims in the springs. I would love to. I hear that many people do and they don't have problems. If you are careful, I don't see how the gators can be any worse than sharks. In Hawaii there are 10-18 ft tiger sharks, some of the most agressive next to great whites. I've been out surfing at dusk when an 18 footer was spoted just a few yards from me. Pretty scarey, but most swimmers live to tell and don't get bothered too much. For the most part they can be avoided by knowing when and where to go and not to go. I imagine it's the same in FL as long as you are aware of your surroundings.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 PM
syl

6 posts, read 53,972 times
Thumbs down I don't really like beaches in Florida

I think I'm the only person who dislikes the beaches in Florida, lol. I don't live there (I live in nj) but whenever I go there, ugh I can't stand the beaches! The water is SO hot, practically hotter than the air temperature...it's SO very salty, like, even your eyes burn from the salt...I don't know why, but there's so much disgusting seaweed, and (this only happened once) I've seen big (well not hugee, but about 14") fish swim past me!

It might just be because I'm from New Jersey, where in June the water temperatures are probably in the late 60s and you practically get hypothermia from dipping your feet inside, but I reallyy don't like the beaches(only for tanning purposes) in Florida.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:16 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,713 times

You need to come on down in the winter months...they are the best then!

Old 08-01-2006, 12:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Venice has a perfectly lovely beach just for dogs!

Old 08-01-2006, 12:50 PM

We love Siesta Key!!! The sand is like baby powder and its white too!

Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 PM

here's another of Siesta Key! I love this beach!!!! Really!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM

128 posts, read 641,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom
We love Siesta Key!!! The sand is like baby powder and its white too!
LOL! tell me this is a winter photo of the beach with those black pants!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 03:07 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,328 times
Oh I just love the beach, I'll just talk about some that I have frequented the most, though I've been to Naples, Marco Island & Clearwater & some others but it all depends in what mood I'm in. I don't want to sound like a traitor but as an ocean person my favorite beaches w/crystal clear waters w/pure white sands are in the Caribbean.
Florida does offer different beaches for different tastes. The East-Atlantic beach has depth to the water and some waves, one can bounce up & down and have water up their necks - it's fun for swimming & playing in the water, jet ski's, boating. There are pelicans & lots of seagulls, sandpipers and native little seahorses that hide in the seaweed - you have to shake the seaweed to see them. There are more choices for nightlife - more party atmosphere in some places.
I go about every couple of years to Captiva Island which is not really a partying atmosphere. One can go shelling and fishing right there on the shore - a bit shallow at times, especially at night where you can walk for miles and the water is only ankle deep. I like walking at night (w/flashlight), it's dark but much safer than walking on the S.beach shore late at night. One can see Dolphins swimming in the distance early in the mornings. Ohh...and the coquille's - tiny little colorful living seashells that you scoop up w/your hands right off the shoreline in the early a.m. or late afternoon's - great entertainment for the kids. It's changed a bit from my kid days w/development but there is lots of nature still there. I remember when there was only like a red Dairy Queen there - it is still there but it kind of gets lost amongst all the new restaurants,etc. There are lots of modern expensive high rises for rental there for those that need that modern upscale feeling. Though, if one is looking for the "Old Florida" type of wood cottages to get the feel of the old days there is a place I recommend called "Beachview Cottages" (it's on the web) it has a kitchenette, appliances, utensils, a screened porch w/2 chairs (and of course there is a t.v./cable, a.c. there) It's not a fancy place but this place gives you that Old Florida beachy hideaway feeling that I just love w/all the conveniences one needs right there. It's moderate in price compared to the modern high rises. One can park the car right there next to your cottage, too.

Key Biscayne & Matheson Hammock are two I frequent regularly because they are close to me, though they are not my favorites - they are so-so in beach quality. Matheson Hammock is like an enclosed saltwater pool, but I guess it does the job at times. For these two, I have to go during the a.m. hours on the weekdays, cause it's practically impossible to get in with so many people on weekends, not as enjoyable as it used to be years ago. Way too many people, loud music and it's like everybody is on top of each other on the public beaches. I enjoyed when I had friends that lived on Key Biscayne - they had a key & one could go thru a gate to the private beach area that made it more worthwhile. But they've upped & gone to live in Tennessee...so, that's the end of that.

The FL Keys... well, the times I've been there I haven't found any memorable beaches there w/ nice sands,water, surf. Once I ended up in the pool area for 3 days cause the beach area was kind of rocky & full of crabs. Maybe, it's been my experience only and there might me a perfect spot, I don't know. However, I do remember the best sunsets that I have ever seen in my life. A friend of mine bought a vacation home there & loves it especially for the scuba diving - also, boating & fishing is good there. The photos of her scuba trips around the reef areas are beautiful & spectacular.

Last edited by lulu; 08-01-2006 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida