Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 85,935 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am coming to visit beach towns in a few weeks and need help in narrowing my list. I love Asheville (except that there's no beach) & I am interested in finding a similar community.

I'm 49 & Single - Politically Liberal, Socially Live & Let Live

I will be renting (probably an apartment)

I will be looking for a job - so the job market is important (I do have skills)

I was looking at Pensacola to begin with, but I'm not sure about the job market & it looks really conservative - but the downtown seems interesting & alot like our downtown (this is only from the internet - I may be way off base)

I'm also thinking of the middle eastern coastline - Melbourne to Daytona? Cocoa? I'm not sure about Jacksonville.

New Thought Churches would be a plus.

I'm not a bar type - but I don't want to set at home all the time - coffee shops/cafes with music would be more my style & outdoor concerts

One of the most important qualities is less crowded beaches - I've not been to the panhandle before, but I love the beach south of Melbourne on A1A

I like the size and diversity of Asheville - that's hard to replicate in a small city.

Also if any one has suggestions for hotels while I'm visiting - it will be before Memorial Day - Cheap, Clean, Safe & walking distance to the beach and to good coffee are my priorities. (wireless would be a plus)

Thanks so much for any information you can provide - I can find the facts on the internet - but not the "feel" of the places.

Have a GREAT day,
Tammy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Northwest Florida can be your choice, towns/cities like Pcola, Gulf Breeze, Navarre, Fort Walton Beach, Shalimar, Niceville and other can provide for what you are looking for. What are you work skills?

That should be your 1st concern, can you use the skills in the area? So what you do?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:39 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I'm thinking Anna Maria Island if you're looking for a laid back beach town or maybe Siesta Key(although the beach is kind of touristy on Siesta). I think you'd find downtown Sarasota a cool place to walk around--there's poetry reading, live bands, and every different kind of restaurant you can imagine.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Thanks,

I have bookkeeping, tax and small management skills - but I have been working 6days/wk for 4.5 years and really want to live somewhere cheap enough that I don't have to work that much. I don't mind learning something new if I need to.

I haven't heard of Anna Maria Island before - I'll look at that. I really want a place with alot of diversity and that was what I wasn't sure about on the gulf coast. Is there a different feel to the towns on the different coasts?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Asheville to FL is going to be a culture shock. I've been to Asheville a bunch of times and the only place I'd suggest would be St. Augustine.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Asheville to FL is going to be a culture shock. I've been to Asheville a bunch of times and the only place I'd suggest would be St. Augustine.
That's what I was worried about - I'll definitely look at St. Augustine - It is one of the closest beaches to here. I just really need a change of place & I'm sure that salt water cures all ailments.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyraye View Post
That's what I was worried about - I'll definitely look at St. Augustine - It is one of the closest beaches to here. I just really need a change of place & I'm sure that salt water cures all ailments.
It has a lot of history/culture and isn't your typical florida town which is a good thing in my book.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I have to agree with this. We lived in Sarasota for 17 years, it is NOT like Asheville. We have a second home in Asheville and there is NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING to compare to this town in Florida.

Outside of St. Augustine, the only other area I could recommend where you might find a little bit of the same vibe is around downtown St. Pete.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have to agree with this. We lived in Sarasota for 17 years, it is NOT like Asheville. We have a second home in Asheville and there is NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING to compare to this town in Florida.

That's what I was afraid of - but when I first moved here (25 years ago) the downtown was just starting to blossom - so I will check out some towns and see if there's anything that feels like home to me. I really only need a sweet neighborhood to be happy and lots of sun & salty air (well also 1 big bookstore & 1 great coffeeshop).

I'm planning a road trip in a couple of weeks to look around. I want to go to Goombay in Pensacola - has anyone been? I know that Pensacola is mostly conservative, but there's seems to be something going on downtown. That's what it was like here - downtown very cool & just a few miles out very conservative - but that's starting to change because housing is more affordable out of town.

I'm also going to check out St. Augustine & Cocoa (I've read that Cocoa has a good jazz scene?). Are there any other small beach towns I should look at? Are there any that still have relatively cheap rent? I'll probably stick to the northern half of the state - I wish I had a whole month to drive around and really get a feel of the different areas.

I also need motel recommendations - I'll probably stay 3 nights on the Atlantic & 3 on the Gulf - which towns have the most safe, cheap motels?

Thanks alot for any information

Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
tammyraye, not trying to be too negative here but Pensacola does not sound like what you're looking for. Yes, they are trying to create interest in downtown but you'll need money to live there. The Goombay Festival looks interesting but I've never been.

You will fall in love with the beaches though because they are beautiful. Make sure you check out Pensacola Beach (this is where you'll find the Gulf of Mexico, not Pensacola) and the beaches to the east (Destin, Grayton Beach, Seaside). It's not cheap to live near the beach though so keep that in mind as you fall in love with the sand and salt water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida