Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 05:38 PM

26,808 posts, read 43,267,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said, "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

To that I would add, "Nobody moves to Florida for the schools or the restaurants."

Captain Harvard, I like that! GO CRIMSON!
You kind of lost all credibility with dissing restaurants as well. I lived in the Northeast US many years and outside of NYC, DC, Philly and Boston (cities, not states) everything else restaurant-wise basically sucked, especially Pennsylvania which is the home of some of the worst excuses for restaurants imaginable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 05:53 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,674,261 times
The schools in Florida are fine, parental involvement is the critical factor in this school thing, so do not worry about it.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:18 PM

4,437 posts, read 3,751,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You kind of lost all credibility with dissing restaurants as well. I lived in the Northeast US many years and outside of NYC, DC, Philly and Boston (cities, not states) everything else restaurant-wise basically sucked, especially Pennsylvania which is the home of some of the worst excuses for restaurants imaginable.
Well, of course NYC, DC, Philly and Boston all have better restaurants than Florida.

I'd like for you to recommend a restaurant in Florida. Let me guess. You think something like Norman's in Orlando is a great restaurant.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Still your argument is full of holes. Does the same apply to states ranked 27th to 50th, or is Florida singled out based on some kind of special criteria employed here?

Of course the same applies to the states with worse school systems.

I never said Florida has the worst schools or students in the USA.

I said Florida has poor public schools. And the OP is coming from a state with much better schools. If the OP cares about public schools, he/she should think twice about leaving a state with above-average public schools.

Clearly there are states with worse students and public schools. IN GENERAL, IT IS MORE LIKELY to find a brilliant, Harvard-worthy student from Virginia, or Massachusetts, than it is to find one from Florida. There are exceptions. Many students from Florida have been admitted to Harvard.

However, the vast majority of students at the top tier colleges, such as Harvard, are NOT from Florida public schools. The waitlisted group who waffle in limbo is another matter of course.

Luckily for you, it doesn't take a Harvard degree to understand these facts.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:

I said Florida has poor public schools. And the OP is coming from a state with much better schools. If the OP cares about public schools, he/she should think twice about leaving a state with above-average public schools.

Clearly there are states with worse students and public schools. IN GENERAL, IT IS MORE LIKELY to find a brilliant, Harvard-worthy student from Virginia, or Massachusetts, than it is to find one from Florida. There are exceptions. Many students from Florida have been admitted to Harvard.

However, the vast majority of students at the top tier colleges, such as Harvard, are NOT from Florida public schools. The waitlisted group who waffle in limbo is another matter of course.

Harvard is definitely a great school, but that doesn't make the graduate anything special in reality. It is how well they do in Harvard and then... out of Harvard. This applies to all highly ranked schools. The individual is still the real factor. I never attended any College or University but have created technology no one else has and have multiple patents. I know a lot of University grads who are still struggling and many non University people who are doing quite well. The person is the key and how they were raised far more so than the school. Mind you, your being a Harvard Grad is a thing to be proud of as you note, not everyone gets accepted.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:21 PM

[quote=sinatras;55546055
I'd like for you to recommend a restaurant in Florida. Let me guess. You think something like Norman's in Orlando is a great restaurant.[/QUOTE]

As one might predict, your guess is off. I would opt for someplace like The Ravenous Pig in Winter Park.

https://www.theravenouspig.com/?utm_...edium=referral

Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:

You clearly have a future in politics given the backpedaling on display here....

Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,019 times
Harvard graduates people like AOC

Old 07-17-2019, 11:27 AM

814 posts, read 2,032,562 times
Quote:
Well, of course NYC, DC, Philly and Boston all have better restaurants than Florida.

I'd like for you to recommend a restaurant in Florida. Let me guess. You think something like Norman's in Orlando is a great restaurant.
Home - Square Grouper Bar & Grill

Old 07-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Harvard graduates people like AOC

I can assure you that the idiot AOC did NOT go to Harvard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida