Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As one might predict, your guess is off. I would opt for someplace like The Ravenous Pig in Winter Park.

https://www.theravenouspig.com/?utm_...edium=referral
Even WORSE than Norman's. Pretentious hipsterized food that sucks. Not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 11:28 AM

163 posts, read 208,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
As a Harvard alum, I do a lot of interviewing of applicants. Guess how many kids from Florida schools (all those public IB, magnet and charter schools included) get accepted?

Yup. Exactly.

The majority of the kids (all from Florida schools) I interview for Harvard have sky-high GPAs and tons of AP courses yet have no earthly idea what it takes to succeed in college. It's a shame.
My daughter got accepted to M.I.T. and Harvard and she's from Florida.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesbulldog View Post
My daughter got accepted to M.I.T. and Harvard and she's from Florida.
AWESOME!!!!
A rare unicorn indeed!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Another load of BS which is offensive to the thousands of great teachers and tens of thousands of hard-working students enrolled in magnet programs, IB programs and AP coursework every year.
Exactly. You are always going to have kids that are ahead of the pack, in the middle, and on the bottom regardless of overall quality.

Quote:
I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said, "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

To that I would add, "Nobody moves to Florida for the schools or the restaurants."

Captain Harvard, I like that! GO CRIMSON!
It's interesting that Florida, or maybe it's just Orlando, gets a bad rap for its restaurants, yet a bunch of cities are dotted with restaurants that started and/or are now headquartered via acquisition...in Florida. Restaurants from other regions will skip several state lines to be here.

But here's a lovely article for those who want to insult Orlando's restaurant scene:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...at-restaurants

Quote:
I
This is a big reason why most parents, if they have the choice and care about quality of public schools, do not move to Florida. They stay stuck in Virginia, Massachusetts, or Iowa, or Illinois, or wherever, putting up with the taxes and the commutes and the nasty weather. For the quality public schools.
Then when they retire, they move to Florida and lobby not to pay school taxes "because we don't have any kids in the system." Meanwhile, their Massachusetts high school diploma and degree(s) from a top-tier public university like the University of Michigan helped build a great life, an education a lot of empty nesters who choose to remain in those places were taxed out of their behinds to fund.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...201-story.html

-------
As far as the original topic....

I agree with the others that you basically describe everywhere except maybe South Florida (West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, Miami). I say that because of the cost of living.

Orlando, Tampa, or Jacksonville have you covered depending on if you can find a good job in your field. Once you visit and narrow down your choices, consult the individual city boards for their opinions.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
Lots of good schools and students in Florida schools. Our problem is that they all leave for job prospects in better paying cities/states. We have issues with brain drain for sure.
There's an ad from the University of Florida on Facebook advertising its MBA program or maybe it was their undergraduate business programs. Anyway, it had a US map showing high profile companies where they've been able to place interns.

None.....of......them.....are.....in....Florida.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
There's an ad from the University of Florida on Facebook advertising its MBA program or maybe it was their undergraduate business programs. Anyway, it had a US map showing high profile companies where they've been able to place interns.

None.....of......them.....are.....in....Florida.
So what? Most college grads do not get a job where they were born and raised in any event. They move to the States where such jobs exist. That is common. FL is the 3rd most populated State and it isn't because of High Profile Companies though many exist in FL. Kids do well first based on parent involvement, then teacher involvement and finally the curriculum which is handled by people who are making it lousy everywhere..

Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 AM

[quote=boy3365;55697727]

But here's a lovely article for those who want to insult Orlando's restaurant scene:

That's an article in some Orlando rag suitable only to line my dog's crate. OF COURSE they are going to write articles about how wonderful Orlando restaurants are.

Please post a link to a REPUTABLE newspaper or magazine or culinary authority in which an Orlando restaurant has been ranked in 2019 as a top 50 restaurant in America or the world.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM

[quote=sinatras;55709032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

That's an article in some Orlando rag suitable only to line my dog's crate. OF COURSE they are going to write articles about how wonderful Orlando restaurants are.

Please post a link to a REPUTABLE newspaper or magazine or culinary authority in which an Orlando restaurant has been ranked in 2019 as a top 50 restaurant in America or the world.
Of course I know the Orlando Weekly is not the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, or an equivalent in the food world. Some of their articles and Facebook posts annoy me because their bent on some reports is very obvious, but I still think that article is a funny comeback against a notion that is simply not true.

There's no point in arguing with you because I know you have impeccable standards that the average Joe won't notice, including myself. That is okay.

Andrew Zimmern did come to Orlando to film an apology episode.
https://watch.travelchannel.com/tv-s...isodes/orlando

Last edited by boy3365; 07-19-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-19-2019, 09:25 AM

My adage when it comes to college is that no one cares where you went to college after your first day on the job. I didn't go to a pedigree school, but my school is highly regarded in my major's subject area. I saw some classmates who spent their years there riding on the coattails of the fact that they merely "got in." Post-graduation, some have succeeded immensely in the field and some have left the field completely and are doing something unrelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
So what? Most college grads do not get a job where they were born and raised in any event. They move to the States where such jobs exist. That is common. FL is the 3rd most populated State and it isn't because of High Profile Companies though many exist in FL. Kids do well first based on parent involvement, then teacher involvement and finally the curriculum which is handled by people who are making it lousy everywhere..
I guess my dream is to see Florida became a place where people build their fortunes instead of a place where people move or buy their second home after they've made their fortune somewhere else.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:40 AM

[quote=boy3365;55710589]
Quote:

Of course I know you have impeccable standards that the average Joe won't notice.

[/url]

Why thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida