Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 05:51 PM

962 posts, read 612,573 times

Advertisements

Wait, I thought the liberals told us global warming would kill us all by now?

Now it's flesh eating bacteria?

What's next? The flying spaghetti monster?

I'm so scared these days . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
This woman also believed that this "urban legend" about flesh eating bacteria was "fake news" and "blown out of proportion".
Now her father is dead.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...ria-from-beach

Old 07-13-2019, 06:03 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
What’s your point? That people who don’t recognize and accept real life risks shouldn’t have bad things happen to them? I’m sure the family of the young woman who was just torn apart by sharks while snorkeling in the Bahamas feels the same way but just because bad things happen to nice people while doing things that are 99.99% of the time without consequences doesn’t mean there’s a crisis for the general public. Our hearts go out to these people but this is what life is.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 PM

18,438 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This woman also believed that this "urban legend" about flesh eating bacteria was "fake news" and "blown out of proportion".
Now her father is dead.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...ria-from-beach
she said no such thing...just the opposite.....you do more damage to your "cause" by not telling the truth

"Still, Bennett Wiygul was cautious, noting that the 12-year-old girl who contracted the bacteria had a cut on her leg. So she researched and was "fanatical" about using proper protection.

"My Dad didn’t have any open wounds. He had a couple places that were practicality healed small scratches on his arms and legs that I made sure were super sealed up," Bennett Wiygul explained. "My mom religiously sun-blocked him. We were taking precautions and we were good, so I thought."

"Because he was a cancer patient,"
"While she knew you shouldn’t swim with an open wound, she didn’t realize that people with compromised immune systems should stay out of the water too."

====

..and it's vibro....people have been getting it from eating oysters since the beginning of time

Last edited by Corrie22; 07-13-2019 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 06:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
It's going to get worse as oceans get warmer, over time.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:25 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's going to get worse as oceans get warmer, over time.
Yes it is as the planet super heats over the next 120 years. The big die off is coming as most living things will be dead within 120 years.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
she said no such thing...just the opposite.....you do more damage to your "cause" by not telling the truth

"Still, Bennett Wiygul was cautious, noting that the 12-year-old girl who contracted the bacteria had a cut on her leg. So she researched and was "fanatical" about using proper protection.

"My Dad didn’t have any open wounds. He had a couple places that were practicality healed small scratches on his arms and legs that I made sure were super sealed up," Bennett Wiygul explained. "My mom religiously sun-blocked him. We were taking precautions and we were good, so I thought."

"Because he was a cancer patient,"
"While she knew you shouldn’t swim with an open wound, she didn’t realize that people with compromised immune systems should stay out of the water too."

====

..and it's vibro....people have been getting it from eating oysters since the beginning of time

Stop LYING. Go to her Facebook post.

This is what she wrote:

Flesh Eating Bacteria sounds like an urban legend. Let me assure you that it is not. It took my Dad’s life. This is so raw and personal to me that I did not want to post about it, but if I can help one person, then it is worth it. There is not enough education out there about the bacteria in the water. There needs to be signs posted at every beach, every city and state park, and every bayou stating that “due to naturally occurring bacteria in the water people with open wounds or compromised immune systems should not enter”. I knew about the open wounds. Many people I’ve talked to don’t. They think saltwater is good for cuts. Saltwater alone may be, but the bacteria enters through cuts. My Dad had cancer, therefore his immune system was compromised. He’s battled cancer for many years and has been in the water several times so it didn’t seem like a risk. My parents were coming down to stay with me in Florida about a week after the post about a 12 year old girl contracting bacteria that turned into necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) in Destin started circling around. I didn’t want to believe that. My family loves being in the water. Our county, Okaloosa County, posted an article titled “Rumor Control” in response to the post which seemed to diffuse everyone’s fears. The girl had a cut on her leg so I felt like it reinforced to me not to go in with a cut. I researched a little. When my parents got in town I was fanatical about Neosporin and liquid bandaid. My Dad didn’t have any open wounds. He had a couple places that were practicality healed small scratches on his arms and legs that I made sure were super sealed up. My mom religiously sun-blocked him. We were taking precautions and we were good, so I thought. We had a blast. We were out in the bay on the boat near Crab Island, went to the beach in Destin twice, splashed around Turkey Creek, swam in Boggy Bayou, in our pool and then on Friday we spent the day at Rocky Bayou riding jet skis and throwing the ball around in the water. We left around 4:00 p.m. Daddy stayed up late Friday night and watched a movie. He was happy and talkative, seemed to feel fine as he did all week. About 4:00 a.m. Saturday morning, 12 hours after we were in the water, he woke up with a fever, chills and some cramping. My parents had planned to head back to Memphis that morning anyway and my mom wanted him to be near his doctors to have him checked out. He’d been sick before and they knew his history so it seemed like the best thing to do. He got worse on the way home. His legs started to hurt severely. He was becoming extremely uncomfortable. My Dad has been through a lot and he is not a complainer so he had to have been in a lot of pain to vocalize it. They got to the hospital in Memphis around 8 p.m. They took him back immediately. As they were helping him get changed into his hospital gown they saw this terribly swollen black spot on his back that was not there before. My mom sent me a picture of it and it felt like someone sucker punched me. I called and asked if it was actually black (because sometimes color is off in a photo) and she said it was black. I never saw a cut on his back and neither did she. We certainly hadn’t seen this spot. I told her to tell them he was in the water in Florida and it was necrotizing fasciitis. She told everyone that came in the room. One person told her the media had blown that out of proportion. Others said it was staph. They would not biopsy it. They did start him on IV antibiotics. The black spot had doubled in size. A new one was starting to pop up. His arms were becoming more blotchy by the minute and he was in a great deal of pain. Some of the nurses said they’d never seen anything like it. At 1 a.m. he became septic and they moved him into ICU. He coded shortly after and they had to bring him back. My dad had a lot of medical issues but heart was not one of them. They had to intubate him. He coded again. They said his organs were too damaged and his blood was too acidic to sustain life. He was gone by Sunday afternoon. Less than 48 hours after getting out of the water feeling great, the bacteria had destroyed him. We got lab results today: Vibrio vulnificus which manifests into necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) ultimately leading to sepsis. Vibrio vulnificus is a bacteria that is transmitted by eating undercooked shellfish or through an open wound. There were no bacteria warnings at any beach or park we went to. They do post advisories for high bacteria but there were none. I would never have taken my Dad in the water if there was a bacteria advisory but it would have been because I didn’t want him to get a stomach virus not because I thought it would kill him. (I realize there can still be bacteria without an advisory - just making the point that there was not a posted high level) I knew you shouldn’t swim with an open wound but I didn’t realize he shouldn’t be in the water with his immune system. I feel like I should have known and that is something I will live with for the rest of my life. If I would have done more research I would have but I don’t think the general public realizes it either. I do believe if there was a simple sign posted about the risk of swimming with an open wound or an immune disorder, we wouldn’t have let him get in. I am absolutely not trying to scare people from the beach or swimming. I love the water and so did my Dad. People do need to know how to be more cautious and how to recognize symptoms. There is information out there but I didn’t find it all until it was too late. I don’t want this to happen to anyone else. I don’t need anyone to tell me what we should or should not have done. We already know. It was too late for us. Please just pass this on so it can help someone else.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Wait, I thought the liberals told us global warming would kill us all by now?

Now it's flesh eating bacteria?

What's next? The flying spaghetti monster?

I'm so scared these days . . .

I'm not scared. I wouldn't dip one toe into that toxic cesspool they call the Gulf of Mexico.

I feel bad for the idiots that do.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:11 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
I'm not scared. I wouldn't dip one toe into that toxic cesspool they call the Gulf of Mexico.

I feel bad for the idiots that do.
There it is... what the OP really thinks. Don't feel bad for me, or all the people who live, work and breath the toxicity. Think of all those infected oil platform workers, or commercial fisherman, or all the workers loading and unloading ships, or those on cruises, and all those tourists.... you know the 30 million a year who come to Florida and get wet. Don't forget Mexico, Central and South America too.

Tell us who's the idiot?

Old 07-14-2019, 07:55 AM

18,438 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Stop LYING. Go to her Facebook post.
so she took all these precautions.....said she did all her research.....and from that...you try to twist it to she thought it was fake news and a urban legend

yeah right....double down on it now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida