Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 01:29 PM

119 posts, read 210,859 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to FL and I'm self employed. My wife is a stay at home mom and we're looking into health insurance options. Ideally we'd like to find a group health insurance plan through a membership organization:

"A membership organization is a group that is dedicated to providing resources and benefits to its members which may be defined as those sharing a common interest, trade, or profession."

I have called several membership organizations online but have only found ones that are covered in different states such as New York or Maine. Does anyone here know of any membership organizations based in FL that offer group health insurance at a discounted rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 06:48 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,288 times
Maybe this is an option?

https://www.medishare.org/ppc/?mkwid...SAAEgJtgPD_BwE

Good luck

Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Would rather go with a high deductible plan with HSA as an option. I would hate for my family to receive sub par care or refused care if the facility we go to doesn't recognize medi share as viable insurance. I'd like to be able to pick the best place possible and not have to worry about service if that makes sense.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Look at the federal marketplace (Obamacare). Otherwise find a Florida based organization that offers group healthcare. Florida is the 3rd most populous state and we have state laws governing the health care industry. Anyone providing health insurance in Florida must comply with our state laws as well as federal laws.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Otherwise find a Florida based organization that offers group healthcare.
Yes that is why I posted this thread =)

Old 07-27-2019, 05:16 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsurf View Post
I'm self employed. My wife is a stay at home mom ... that is why I posted this thread =)
I'm in the same situation as you, but I have been a resident in the state since before 2010 and since I have never changed insurance contract on a personal/family level (not group), pre-2010 rules still apply, in part thanks to former Senator Nelson.

As a practical matter, that means a still very high deductible from BCBS, but spared even higher increases in premiums than would have been the case because the contract does not cover pregnancy (past that stage anyway), drug addiction treatment (not an issue) and a few other coverages in accordance with post-2010 rules.

My understanding is that Florida uses the federally run exchange, so residents enroll through HealthCare.gov. If you qualify for a subsidy, it might be a good deal.

Alternatively, here is a link to a list of health insurance companies offering individual and family health insurance contracts in Florida.

Hope this helps.

Personally, I don't have the stomach to wade through all that. Besides, my cousin who is an insurance agent tells me that I already have the best deal possible for my situation (still sucks, but best possible) and I believe that the best health insurance is to do everything within my power to avoid having to use the health care system and insurance. So basically it winds up being insurance against catastrophic illness or accident, and for the rest I and immediately family members are on our own. I do have an HSA, but hope to pass that along to my children.

Good Luck!

To both of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida