Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:48 AM

116 posts, read 135,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Please tell everyone one up north... Thank you
At this point everyone under 35 knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 07:54 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 10 days ago)

14,453 posts, read 9,528,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
Salary estimate is just an estimate. Those who are making in the high range are tenured, been with the system for a long time (20 plus years and have a Masters). It is pretty normal for starting teachers here in Jacksonville to be in high $30s, low $40s. Unless you were posting the figures to try to disprove my point, which I must say try again because I don't believe you live in Jacksonville like I do.
So post some provable, relative, measurable data ... since you're the self proclaimed expert.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:59 AM

116 posts, read 135,012 times
Quote:
Living in this state for 20 years, I can point out the following:

* People who move here normally have extreme partisan viewpoints.
-I know people personally (like my father) who moved to FL in an area that's dominantly white (since he told me he believes minorities commits crimes). He is also extremely conservative where he refuses to vote for Obama or Gillum since they were black (which he told me in my face I don't like voting for black people). A lot of the retirees move here for the low taxes and not interested in paying for schools or social services. They balk normally on any tax increases because "I don't want this state to be liberal." Just look at some of the recent posts here that proves my point.
-I also know people who are extreme far left who are working class, they work in jobs with no benefits, and most have high student loan debt to the point they can't afford to buy a house or live on their own. They vote for extreme left folks because in their opinions the people on the right only care for those who have $$$ and conservative. When you have extreme viewpoints of both sides, you can have at times a pretty nasty environment to the point where people don't want to live near their opposite of them. Thus we have a state that's still pretty purple with just the GOP barely winning some of the statewide races.

*People care more about themselves than their local community.
-With people moving here for the low taxes, their care about their bottom line for the most part. Being a product of the FL Public School system, it isn't that great. I had too many teachers who left their jobs half way of my school year due to being too stressed out about their jobs plus pay. I remember this really extreme conservative parent who told my former teacher that it is not her problem that you were working three jobs to support yourself, you need to teach my parent 100%. Teacher explained that teaching quality is better if the teacher have the full time to teach your student without stressing out about other things, parent is like not my problem please quit you don't deserve to be paid more. With this mindset, local project funding can be a challenge. It's great to challenge them, but some of the reasons are pretty funny at times. In the end of the day: "If it doesn't affect me, I don't care."

*More people who weren't born in FL than people in FL.
-There's a difference between people who moved to FL and the original "Florida Crackers." Native born FL folks are a different breed than those who moved to FL.

Personally this state isn't working out for me, so in the future I'm planning to leave it. I known friends who left this state and is making a lot more money elsewhere. Their happiness also went up after leaving FL. However, plenty of retirees believe their happiness is low taxes. Yeah I get no income tax, but my life isn't better due to it.

So you mean a lot of old suspect racist move to Florida here followed by the disconnected, crooks and pedos?

**shocking**

Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,236,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
So you mean a lot of old suspect racist move to Florida here followed by the disconnected, crooks and pedos?

**shocking**
Sure they are the only people who can afford to live in FL.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:00 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 10 days ago)

Quote:
Of course the partisan guy comes swinging again. I think I said this already, these were from my friends who have dealings with the school district here including those who disclose their salaries to me.

Maybe, my father is pretty racist and he moved to FL from NYC. I met tons of racist retirees from NJ/NY who like to self-segregate themselves in certain areas where there's little minorities. Some still believe if you are a minority you are a criminal. NYC mentality at times sadly.....
Partisan, lol, how about rational. So it's your "feelings". Got it ... So you're come on an act like an entitled victim, but thanks for sharing.

Will you be voting for Bernie?

Old 08-02-2019, 11:15 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,570,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
So post some provable, relative, measurable data ... since you're the self proclaimed expert.
Well, people with much better data and math skills have looked at it.....

"Florida falls in national teacher pay ranking to 46th
The Sunshine State swapped places with Arizona, now 45th."

46th....for a "rich" state that claims it is booming economically...that has untold revenues from tourists, old people (no kids in school) and 2nd home owners (same and need fewer services)....

In Florida this is considered a feature...not a bug.

If you want to fool yourself, be our guest. But with a total of 100+ years that members of my closer family have lived there (and being a property owner myself), some things are just evident and experience.

46th. If you think that is a good result....well, that's your opinion.

TN pays more but the results aren't too good either:

"Tennessee is No. 39 overall for the subcategory of “quality of education and attainment gap,” thanks in part to its No. 35 ranking for “average university quality.” But the state only mustered a No. 43 ranking for both the subcategory “education attainment rank” and the survey as a whole."

Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

46th....for a "rich" state that claims it is booming economically...that has untold revenues from tourists, old people (no kids in school) and 2nd home owners (same and need fewer services)....

If you want to fool yourself, be our guest. But with a total of 100+ years that members of my closer family have lived there (and being a property owner myself), some things are just evident and experience.

"Tennessee is No. 39 overall for the subcategory of “quality of education and attainment gap,” thanks in part to its No. 35 ranking for “average university quality.” But the state only mustered a No. 43 ranking for both the subcategory “education attainment rank” and the survey as a whole."
In a list where someone needs to rank something, someone will always be first, someone will always be last, thus using the rank system for many things is rather pointless. This is why many measures do not use a ranking system.

If pay was directly linked to anything, there would be at least a correlation, but there is not. DC pays more, starting pay is much more, yet the outcome there is sub-par in comparison.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:56 PM

25,153 posts, read 12,308,008 times
Florida's higher education ranks #1 in the USA...

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...-s/3665581002/

It also ranks near the top for value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Old 08-02-2019, 01:13 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,717,272 times
Quote:
Too bad the Pubic School System for Grades K-12 could use an improvement.
We've had the same policies (testing, vouchers, charters, and a poverty rating otherwise known as school grades) for 20 years, with many of them being spread to other states and some being federalized, yet they still get away with calling people who want otherwise "supporters of the status quo." The Jeb Bush policy IS the status quo.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:13 PM

States with the best public school systems

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reneemo.../#5b98cb8f3897
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida