Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 06:24 AM

898 posts, read 597,896 times

Advertisements

Wife's stepfather is very ill and needs an "adult" close by to make sure he is taking care of his medical needs, grocery shopping, etc. Wife's mother is not up to the task. I can't find work up here in Connecticut anyway, so I volunteered to go down if she wants me to to make sure their needs are taken care of. They have a spare room that I could use temporarily. Then hopefully I find work, our own place then get her to move down. She's a banker so I don't think she would have any problems changing jobs.

Area is Daytona.

How is the job market down there for a middle aged guy, I'm 56? I've worked in the HVAC industry my entire career, mostly in commercial project management, but the last 15 years in equipment sales. Honestly would like to try something different at this point.

I'm a huge outdoorsman as well. Looking forward to the saltwater fishing opportunities down there and the hunting as well.

Thanks

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Wife's stepfather is very ill and needs an "adult" close by to make sure he is taking care of his medical needs, grocery shopping, etc. Wife's mother is not up to the task. I can't find work up here in Connecticut anyway, so I volunteered to go down if she wants me to to make sure their needs are taken care of. They have a spare room that I could use temporarily. Then hopefully I find work, our own place then get her to move down. She's a banker so I don't think she would have any problems changing jobs.

Area is Daytona.

How is the job market down there for a middle aged guy, I'm 56? I've worked in the HVAC industry my entire career, mostly in commercial project management, but the last 15 years in equipment sales. Honestly would like to try something different at this point.

I'm a huge outdoorsman as well. Looking forward to the saltwater fishing opportunities down there and the hunting as well.

Thanks

Jim
The area is growing so work should not be a problem.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:37 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Jim, you make it sound like work is optional. Such is the case with most retirees who move to Florida with sufficient resources to live wherever they want. If you want to live in a spare room 'temporarily' (with your wife) -- and hope for the best, it sounds like you are good to go.

In reality, Florida is a lot like anyplace else. If you are having trouble finding work in Connecticut, where you have lived, worked and networked with others over many years, Florida isn't going to be any easier. OTOH, so many 'warm bodies' with no real skills or money, move to Florida for the sunshine and beach, and are willing to take any job at any pay, that the real jobs get quickly snapped-up. Of course, there are a ton of 'service sector' jobs that serve the tourists.

Limiting yourself to the Daytona market also limits your options (Daytona isn't known as a 'hotbed' of commerce). Have you at least done some research to determine what might be available in your field? Your willingness to help out your FIL is admirable, but, unless that can become a full-time 'gig' with a future, it's time to seriously start looking-out for your own retirement and well-being.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Jim, you make it sound like work is optional. Such is the case with most retirees who move to Florida with sufficient resources to live wherever they want. If you want to live in a spare room 'temporarily' (with your wife) -- and hope for the best, it sounds like you are good to go.

In reality, Florida is a lot like anyplace else. If you are having trouble finding work in Connecticut, where you have lived, worked and networked with others over many years, Florida isn't going to be any easier. OTOH, so many 'warm bodies' with no real skills or money, move to Florida for the sunshine and beach, and are willing to take any job at any pay, that the real jobs get quickly snapped-up. Of course, there are a ton of 'service sector' jobs that serve the tourists.

Limiting yourself to the Daytona market also limits your options (Daytona isn't known as a 'hotbed' of commerce). Have you at least done some research to determine what might be available in your field? Your willingness to help out your FIL is admirable, but, unless that can become a full-time 'gig' with a future, it's time to seriously start looking-out for your own retirement and well-being.

Oh, heck no. NOT working is NOT an option for me. Here in Connecticut I cannot even get a job interview to just get gas money if nothing else. Connecticut is in a downward spiral and although it appears that it has low unemployment it's because unemployed fall off the tax rolls and others are moving, mostly to Florida and the Carolinas.

Daytona is where the inlaws are. Where the spare room is. So even after finding work, settling in, finding a place for me and my wife, we need to be really close to South Daytona (minutes from the Walmart). They bought an older trailer home that has a $600 nut on the space in the park. Not sure if he's been back to work yet and if he's not he's behind on his rent. If he passes, there is no $600 for the rent. If he goes moving her mom back up here will mean finding her senior housing that will be way more than $600.

Need a job 45 minutes from South Daytona that pays. Looking at the real estate prices in the region, it needs to pay what I could get doing what I can do in CT. Retail won't cut it and if I apply retail my skills won't even get me an interview.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:

Need a job 45 minutes from South Daytona that pays. Looking at the real estate prices in the region, it needs to pay what I could get doing what I can do in CT. Retail won't cut it and if I apply retail my skills won't even get me an interview.
One thing I learned years ago is not just to apply, but a day or two later call and follow up. This shows real interest in THAT job not just any job. Getting a job can be as much work as doing a job, so plan on more than just applying.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Oh, heck no. NOT working is NOT an option for me. Here in Connecticut I cannot even get a job interview to just get gas money if nothing else. Connecticut is in a downward spiral and although it appears that it has low unemployment it's because unemployed fall off the tax rolls and others are moving, mostly to Florida and the Carolinas.

Daytona is where the inlaws are. Where the spare room is. So even after finding work, settling in, finding a place for me and my wife, we need to be really close to South Daytona (minutes from the Walmart). They bought an older trailer home that has a $600 nut on the space in the park. Not sure if he's been back to work yet and if he's not he's behind on his rent. If he passes, there is no $600 for the rent. If he goes moving her mom back up here will mean finding her senior housing that will be way more than $600.

Have you been to Daytona Beach before? It's a retirement community mostly, not a good location for someone needing to work. I wouldn't make the move without a job lined up, which will be hard as the job market isn't good there, so the odds of being hired from another state are even lower. Orlando would have more opportunities.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
One thing I learned years ago is not just to apply, but a day or two later call and follow up. This shows real interest in THAT job not just any job. Getting a job can be as much work as doing a job, so plan on more than just applying.

You must have not have looked for a job in the last 5 years. Rare that you have an opportunity to make a follow up call these days. You submit through a job board and have no resources to follow up.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:30 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Daytona puts you kinda within striking distance of the northeastern portions of Orlando and the southern portions of Jacksonville. Don't know what the opportunities are like in HVAC sales but certainly lots of building continuing to happen in these areas.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Have you been to Daytona Beach before? It's a retirement community mostly, not a good location for someone needing to work. I wouldn't make the move without a job lined up, which will be hard as the job market isn't good there, so the odds of being hired from another state are even lower. Orlando would have more opportunities.

I was there two weeks ago so my wife could go with her stepfather to doctors and make sure he had his meds lined up and his follow up care in place. Daytona/Port Orange is the center of the universe. No matter where I work, I need to home base out of this area. Normal for me, and most of CT actually, is 20-40 minute drive to/from work, including normal traffic.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Advice? Bring money and lots of it.
And patience, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida