Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,608,469 times

Advertisements

Which do you think and why?

Personally, mine is probably the beach at Cape Florida State Park.

I think it is an absolute gem for Miami residents. It is only about a 25 minute drive from Downtown Miami, but it feels worlds away. It has a really nice stretch of walkable sand and shaded nature trails in other portions of the park. It has perhaps the state's most scenic lighthouse, one of the oldest, and featuring fantastic views out towards the Atlantic, and also impressive distant views of the Miami cityscape. The water also has that hue that basically makes you feel like you are in the Caribbean, which I guess, there, you almost are.

Anyways, to me that is the cream of the crop. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 06:23 AM

26,941 posts, read 43,460,630 times
I like beaches that feel far from everything yet have some places to eat/drink/shop walking distance away. That rare combo for me exists at Pass-A-Grille Beach which is the southernmost beach on the Pinellas peninsula near St Pete/St Pete Beach. It has a funkier Key West vibe and although a quick ride over from bustling St Pete, feels worlds away. Pass-a-Grille, St. Pete Beach, Florida - The Official Visitor's Site - Winner of TripAdvisor's 2013 Travelers Choice Award. Get off the grid in relaxing and historic Pass-a-Grille, St. Pete Beach, Florida.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:24 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 26 days ago)

14,625 posts, read 9,617,984 times
I like the panhandle beaches best for just a beach. The sand is so white in the middle of summer with a blazing sun, the sand is cool on your feet.

For surfing... Sebastian, for fishing... Hutchinson Island, for resort-ing... Captiva-Sanibel, for no crowds ... Peck's Lake, for sharks... New Smyrna, for driving... Daytona.

We have so many with so many different things to do at them. I prefer a boat.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:03 AM

17,484 posts, read 38,920,587 times
I like the beaches on Anna Maria. Especially the funky "old Florida" vibe around Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach. Don't like the built up beaches or super crowded (like Siesta)

Old 08-18-2019, 10:04 AM

25,348 posts, read 12,468,538 times
I used to love Pass-A-Grill in South St. Pete, until the parking meters got installed, and I have not been back there since. Sad.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,415,757 times
The one I am on at any moment

Old 08-19-2019, 05:16 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,608,469 times
Interesting to see that many commenting like the beaches right around me! Pass a Grille and Anna Maria are probably the two closest ones to me at this moment. I like Anna Maria too-that said, if I had to pick a go-to beach for me in the area that I would revisit (although I'm trying to hit all at least once), it would probably be Nokomis Beach, reason being, I don't really run into any traffic at all on the way there.

I would agree that I don't like ones that are overly crowded or developed on average... but with that being said, I really do like the Hollywood Beach Broadwalk. Personally, I actually preferred the ambiance there to Ocean Drive/Miami Beach, as urban beaches go, the fact that there is retail and a path directly lining the beach.

I liked seeing a vote for the panhandle beaches too. Unfortunately, as much traveling as I've done, I have never had the chance to hit a panhandle beach (I think the absolute closest one to me right now is St. George Island, some 5.5 hours away). However, as a lover of urban plans and such, it is on my list at some point to go to Seaside, and perhaps also the old town of Pensacola along with the long stretch of state park nearby it including a fort.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,214,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I used to love Pass-A-Grill in South St. Pete, until the parking meters got installed, and I have not been back there since. Sad.
What's sad is that you would let some silly parking meters keep you from a place that you enjoy. But that's just my opinion.

That said, anywhere on Anna Maria Island. Even with the flash-eating zombie disease, it's still better than a lot of other beaches around.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:11 PM

25,348 posts, read 12,468,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
What's sad is that you would let some silly parking meters keep you from a place that you enjoy. But that's just my opinion.

That said, anywhere on Anna Maria Island. Even with the flash-eating zombie disease, it's still better than a lot of other beaches around.
ABSOLUTELY I'd let paid parking deter me when there are many other alternatives that have free parking....duh!

And, what the heck is "flash-eating zombie disease"?

What is sad, is that Anna Maria Island beach has a not-so-silly lack of public parking...paid, or not. I was there today, and there are VERY few places to park out at the North tip of the Island where the beaches are the nicest. Thus, "anywhere on Anna Maria" is misleading at best. You have to be renting a place, and walk to the beaches, if you want to go "anywhere on Anna Maria". Or, take the trolly, then walk to the best beaches along the Northern stretch of the Island. Not very convenient.

There are parking spots on the Bay side park, but very very few on the Gulf side Northern tip. There's 1 narrow area along a street that can fit maybe 8 cars with signs posted that say "parking between signs permitted, but keep tires off pavement" To keep your tires off the pavement, you must first allow all your passengers to get out of the car, and then you must park right up against a row of shrubs to get your tires streetside off the pavement. If you have a full sized pick-up or SUV, its impossible to do.

I never saw so many NO parking signs and police officers just waiting pounce on some sorry visitor for parking in the wrong place. Not my idea of a relaxing day at the beach. Also, no restrooms at the Northern tip, which is by far the nicest beach there.

There is a public beach with restrooms and parking right as you pull onto AMI, but that beach is nowhere near as nice at the other end of the Island. It's an average looking beach that is adjacent to Coquina Beach where there was "FLASH" Eating zombie disease, as you call it. Most of us call it flesh eating bacteria.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:38 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,065,498 times
Playalinda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida