Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 04:48 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The Euro model now has it offshore going north, though this morning it was coming straight through S. FL. I don't think anyone knows where it is going yet, and I hate hate hate that they are spending so much time dwelling on it in the media, when it is still 3 or 4 days away.

They are making people hysterical, crazy and panicking.

This is going to be a regular Labor Day weekend with no news, so all there is is Dorian. They are now saying Tuesday morning--plenty of time to bring in supplies and prepare if it actually comes here.

I just hate all the canned hysteria being sprung on Floridians by the media, the politicians angling for their heroic applause, and everyone else invested in a massive destructive storm.

They are correct making predictions of hurricanes landfall 1 out of 100 times. Hurricanes are unpredictable--it is our need for control over our environment to discuss it to death and know exactly what it is doing.

We will not know where it is going until maybe 12 hours before and maybe not even then.

Tampa went berserk preparing for a 'direct hit' from Charley. Then a few hours before landfall, it just took a hard right turn into Punta Gorda.

Then there was Erin in 1995--I was working for a tv station in Miami where everyone had been traumatized by Andrew. They had us all come in with our families and pets to basically a bunker--all the shutters were up. It was a beautiful sunny day, and our family members were rolling their eyes being kept in the bunker. Everyone eventually left.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst--but don't start panicking 4 days before it hits.
The problem with waiting is that supplies may not be available. So, no there may not be plenty of time. Many places here are already out of water, bread, and non perishable foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 04:52 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
I’m at Home Depot getting something that has nothing to do with the hurricane. Many people are still buying hurricane supplies, but cordless tools and the batteries for them are pretty much gone except for the high priced stuff. Lots of people buying nails and screws.

But I was surprised at how many people are just buying “ normal” stuff. Plants, mulch, sand, window blinds,etc. The store is quite a mess but no one is freaking out. I got in and out no problem. Good work Boynton Beach!

Old 08-30-2019, 04:57 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The problem with waiting is that supplies may not be available. So, no there may not be plenty of time. Many places here are already out of water, bread, and non perishable foods.

You actually reinforce the argument that mass media whips up mass hysteria.

In the days, even hours, before Irma, I remember trailer-trucks full of water delivering to a local supermarket, with some to spare before it closed.

Granted, I live in a major urban area.

In any case, I always keep in house flashlights, batteries, several days or week worth of water and other potable liquids, a wad full of cash, and enough food to shake a stick at, hurricane or not, then maybe buy a little extra water when the time comes, fill up bathtubs, pots, cook some extra rice, etc.

People in low-lying areas along the coast should make plans to evacuate if ordered to do so.

Don't drive during the storm or stand under trees.

Don't touch any downed power lines.

Don't take any wooden nickels.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:57 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
Model's are showing that once it makes landfall, it's going to stay on land and grind it's way up through the southeast, slowly

As far as I can remember a lot of the recent hurricanes weaken tremendously, even when half of it is over the water and make their trek. I don't know what can be so special about Dorian maintaining that Category-1 level strength.
I think a lot of it is warmer waters and also massive development. There's not much buffer to stop it. I never saw this type of thing in all my 60 plus years as a Floridian until the last few years.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:00 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I say i am frank. It is not going to do anything in my area and not even FL if the forward speed keeps slowing and allows the high to move off to the east.

It is already in the bank for my area frank. It can be a cat 10 jen for all i care, but if it don't effect my area then it is money in the bank honey.
Except your taxes get to go toward paying for the destruction of other areas. Bank on it.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:03 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You actually reinforce the argument that mass media whips up mass hysteria.

In the days, even hours, before Irma, I remember trailer-trucks full of water delivering to a local supermarket, with some to spare before it closed.

Granted, I live in a major urban area.

In any case, I always keep in house flashlights, batteries, several days or week worth of water and other potable liquids, a wad full of cash, and enough food to shake a stick at, hurricane or not, then maybe buy a little extra water when the time comes, fill up bathtubs, pots, cook some extra rice, etc.

People in low-lying areas along the coast should make plans to evacuate if ordered to do so.

Don't drive during the storm or stand under trees.

Don't touch any downed power lines.

Don't take any wooden nickels.
I never said that the mass media didn’t whip up mass hysteria?

My point is that even though it may not hit until Tuesday, waiting may not be an option.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:05 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Except your taxes get to go toward paying for the destruction of other areas. Bank on it.
At least i can help others brother.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
They will bring in more supplies. They re-stock the shelves all the way up to the day of the storm. Publix is a rip-off, but they are on top of it. There is a local Spanish grocery store here that puts out fresh bread every day--but you have to know about it.

They will also bring fuel in as long as the trucks can get through. People spend a ton of money on storms and don't think that corporate America does not take note. Shelves will be re-stocked and gas stations will have gas. There are usually only shortages when the storm is upon us. We still have 2 full days and nights to prepare, sell groceries, sell gas and sell water.

There are no real shortages right now--it is panic buying, stoked by the media.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:21 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I live in a new subdivision just east of Tampa. All the new-to-Florida residents are in a panic. Some spent today putting up their shutters.

Can't tell them not to bother because the news has declared an apocalypse.
If those are shutters that take a lot of work to put up (like ours), they will be sorry--two or three days of living in a cave--no light--no outside world. If they are easy, than they can take them down and wait a day or two.

We lived on the west coast of FL for 15 years in a house and never once put up plywood. We bought it in a panic buy, put it in the garage where it rotted and attracted bugs. Finally tossed it. You have to be really motivated to drill holes in your house and put up incredibly heavy pieces of plywood.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:24 PM

18,437 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think a lot of it is warmer waters and also massive development. There's not much buffer to stop it. I never saw this type of thing in all my 60 plus years as a Floridian until the last few years.
mom, what thing are you talking about? Camille was 50 years ago...and a lot stronger than Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida