U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:21 AM

19,808 posts, read 7,826,961 times

Advertisements

Kyle19125 said: "NY, NJ, CT, MA, IL, CA, MN, PA, MI and OH are not desolate wastelands and shows how disconnected you are from reality. You've probably never visited most of them"

NY: NYC born, lived & worked there, family from NYC, downhill since Giuliani left, New Yorkers fleeing replaced by immigrants, large corporations moving out
NJ: wife born & raised there, Grandfather lived there, I used to visit, high taxes are killing it, residents fleeing
CT: been there on business (Stamford-GE), I had no choice, the State's in decline, Fortune 500's fleeing
MA: I was there Summer '18...big mistake, I'll never return, love the Cape, the rest is trash, crazy high taxes
IL: lived there, attended SIU, parents lived along the Mississippi River in Madison County
CA: visited SF&LA, worked there, SF & LA are wastelands, the rest is ok but residents fleeing to TX, AZ, NV
MN: went to a wedding there, met with 3M. Race relations are bad there, crime, (State Fair murders)
PA: Grandfather owned a farm in Reading, I helped settle his estate, did biz in Philly it was gross
MI: lived in Detroit & saw it crumble due to unions & liberal politics. Brother still stuck there. Mad Max-like
OH: lived in Columbus (Dublin), worked in Hiliard, opened new UPS site..hated it, Hilliard city income tax!

I know these areas better than you, except maybe Philly because I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Philly sports fans throwing stuff at opposing athletes pretty much sums up Philly. The old prison downtown looks like a backdrop from Mad Max. The Hatfield Meats area smells like vomit. Crime is rampant.

I stand by my prior post. People are fleeing these area and leaving the messes they made. Many are coming to Florida. I hope they learned their lessons, but by reading some posts here, I fear not.

I'm happy to be early retired in one of the best place in the USA...Southwestern Florida. I tried a lot of other places, and they just couldn't compare. I tried Tampa/St. Pete, and Orlando too, traffic was terrible, and I HATE tolls.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 03:24 PM

648 posts, read 418,394 times
@beach43ofus, most of your observations are on target, but in some cases IMHO you may be painting with too broad a brush. I’ve grown up and lived in metro NY, Westchester, the Island, MA, CT, and (still) in NJ. What’s certainly the case is these areas are crazy expensive and highly taxed, within the same kind of driving distance as, say, Mandarin from JAX or Winter Garden and Clermont from Orlando, there are lovely communities that - while still expensive - have nothing like the anecdotals you’ve described. The Yardley / Newtown / Bucks areas, or the Brandywine area, in PA are both beautiful areas in which one could live. PA, additionally, is very tax friendly toward retirees (granted, nothing like FL). If anything, the area of NJ I’m living in has seen a tremendous growth in residency and professional development from and in the medical and financial businesses. My only motivations for leaving this area when I retire are (in order) the winter weather and tax unfriendliness toward retirees (although PA would be better). Additionally, the major cities in the N.E., with all of their downsides, offer IMO a level of diverse cultural, artistic, and food options that some are not easily matched by many other parts of the country. Comes down partly to wants and priorities, again IMO.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
@beach43ofus, most of your observations are on target, but in some cases IMHO you may be painting with too broad a brush. I’ve grown up and lived in metro NY, Westchester, the Island, MA, CT, and (still) in NJ. What’s certainly the case is these areas are crazy expensive and highly taxed, within the same kind of driving distance as, say, Mandarin from JAX or Winter Garden and Clermont from Orlando, there are lovely communities that - while still expensive - have nothing like the anecdotals you’ve described. The Yardley / Newtown / Bucks areas, or the Brandywine area, in PA are both beautiful areas in which one could live. PA, additionally, is very tax friendly toward retirees (granted, nothing like FL). If anything, the area of NJ I’m living in has seen a tremendous growth in residency and professional development from and in the medical and financial businesses. My only motivations for leaving this area when I retire are (in order) the winter weather and tax unfriendliness toward retirees (although PA would be better). Additionally, the major cities in the N.E., with all of their downsides, offer IMO a level of diverse cultural, artistic, and food options that some are not easily matched by many other parts of the country. Comes down partly to wants and priorities, again IMO.
Nice post Tony. Westchester County is VERY expensive and home of many top 1%'ers. Bucks County is also top 1%'ers, I have clients there. PA taxes companies to the hilt. They tax tractor trailer licenses more than any other state, and wont join IFTA last I looked. I'll agree that some of the restaurants up North are better, but certainly not Boston's. So, if you are wealthy, the Northeast can be tolerable, I'll give you that.

One question...why do we see all the license plates from these States in Florida so much? When I was in these states, I saw NO Florida license plates up there.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Nice post Tony. Westchester County is VERY expensive and home of many top 1%'ers. Bucks County is also top 1%'ers, I have clients there. PA taxes companies to the hilt. They tax tractor trailer licenses more than any other state, and wont join IFTA last I looked. I'll agree that some of the restaurants up North are better, but certainly not Boston's. So, if you are wealthy, the Northeast can be tolerable, I'll give you that.

One question...why do we see all the license plates from these States in Florida so much? When I was in these states, I saw NO Florida license plates up there.
Thanks.

My answer? Old people mostly don’t want to keep living in parts of the country with cold snowy weather (I’m old so I get to say it! ), and N.E. with maybe the exception of Maine and to a lesser degree PA is no friend to retiree income. If a person wanted to deal with the weather, PA would do nicely but if you wanted to live anywhere within shouting distance of Philly (it does have a great symphony, great museums, and great restaurants) you need to have a retirement income close to six figures or better. I know that’s what can make it happen because I have family who are quite happy in Warminster with retirement income in that range. The only two States friendly to retiree income with nice weather are FL and AZ. Makes the choice easy.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:02 AM

Meant to say NH above, not Maine.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:12 AM

This article confirms what I've been posting on this topic...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-est...rly-retirement

It fouces upon EARLY retirement, like what I've done, but I think it rings true for the traditional 65 year old retirees too.

Florida dominates. Avoid the Northeast, and avoid big cities.

It's subjective, but how do you take opinions totally out of this type of ranking?

Old 10-06-2019, 09:05 AM

24,877 posts, read 39,135,101 times
Quote:
Exactly. If one wants to live in a 2-D world of sunshine and low taxes versus an area with a wealth of amenities so be it, but it's not for everyone. And in terms of why are so many Americans moving to Florida? Chalk up it up to our obvious issue with making choices, politically in particular.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, even crummy Northern States have wealthy areas (like those you mentioned) that can be decent to live in if you can stand the weather, but for every affluent decent town, I could point out 20 run down and flat out broke towns that are full of miserable residents. The divide between rich and poor in these states is very wide. Here's a misery list of cities to avoid...

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...on-data-2019-9

California leads the States with most miserable cities, then New Jersey. Florida is 3rd, but that is due to the slums in and around Miami.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:26 PM

24,877 posts, read 39,135,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
California leads the States with most miserable cities, then New Jersey. Florida is 3rd, but that is due to the slums in and around Miami.
Perhaps being the second worst state for healthcare has more to do with it...

https://www.thecentersquare.com/flor...b420f5bc7.html

Old 10-06-2019, 05:43 PM

1,893 posts, read 891,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps being the second worst state for healthcare has more to do with it...

https://www.thecentersquare.com/flor...b420f5bc7.html
so the FL state's health care is dinged and ranked poorly because a large segment of the population doesn't carry insurance? seems as if they're measuring the wrong thing - lack of coverage doesn't equate poor care provided.

misleading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida