Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
And it's labeled an interstate but doesn't go outside of Florida.

It's crazy.
Why is it "crazy?" There are tons of interstate highways like this across the country, including several others within this very state. Do you know what interstate highways are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I've never understood why Orlando doesn't prioritize this awful, awful road. For those of us who regularly travel into Orlando from outside the city, this is a major drawback and is one of the reasons we often decide to not come to Orlando. I-4 inside Orlando (and on the outskirts) is quite possibly the single worst road in all of the U.S. Locals and their souped up 1992 Honda Accords zip past you doing 40mph over the speed limit, coupled with tourists and folks from other countries who have no idea where they are going or even how to drive, ample retirees plus the construction and winding roads......it truly is Hell to drive there.

There are other options, yes, but they take you considerably longer to get where you are going or you end up on toll roads.
"Orlando" doesn't prioritize it because it is a state highway that is part of the interstate system, not a city road. Look to Tallahassee for them to prioritize it.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:08 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
"Orlando" doesn't prioritize it because it is a state highway that is part of the interstate system, not a city road. Look to Tallahassee for them to prioritize it.
Regardless of whether it is Orlando, the State of FL or Mickey Mouse himself, I still don't understand how they can let this road be in continuous disrepair.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,599 times
I stay off of I4 whenever possible. I'll go out of my way to pick up SR60 if it means avoiding the 4.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Regardless of whether it is Orlando, the State of FL or Mickey Mouse himself, I still don't understand how they can let this road be in continuous disrepair.
Okay, here's the story. Politicians react to the public. If the public doesn't even know which politicians are responsible for what areas, why should they respond at all. I hope that if you ever vote you go into the booth with more knowledge than you've displayed here.

"They" will be held responsible when people know who "they" are.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:34 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
There needs to be another east to west highway built across central FL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Wekiva Parkway.
I know when I first moved here and was nerding out on Wikipedia about the roads, I read that there were plans to possibly extend State Road 408 to Titusville. I'm sure the end of the shuttle program put those plans on hold. But if the private space industry kicks things up again, maybe that will become a reality.

But we do need a true east-west road that is toll-free. I-4 is geographically a north-south road in the Orlando area.

Quote:
I've never understood why Orlando doesn't prioritize this awful, awful road. For those of us who regularly travel into Orlando from outside the city, this is a major drawback and is one of the reasons we often decide to not come to Orlando. I-4 inside Orlando (and on the outskirts) is quite possibly the single worst road in all of the U.S. Locals and their souped up 1992 Honda Accords zip past you doing 40mph over the speed limit, coupled with tourists and folks from other countries who have no idea where they are going or even how to drive, ample retirees plus the construction and winding roads......it truly is Hell to drive there.

There are other options, yes, but they take you considerably longer to get where you are going or you end up on toll roads.
It's funny you say that because some people tell us we don't know what we're talking about and then bring up cities with 2-3 times the amount of people to demonstrate that things aren't that bad. But there are cities smaller than Orlando with more robust interstate systems than us. I don't feel like researching it, but could Orlando be the largest metro in the country with just one interstate?

Nevertheless, Orlando can't do anything about I-4 other than lobby the people who do have power to improve the road. However, some things are better. People who weren't here before they expanded the 408 to 10 lanes across and reconfigured two of the I-4/408 interchange access points with the rest to be completed with I-4 Ultimate don't know HOW BAD it used to be. I would argue that SR 408 used to be just as bad as I-4 is today. Backups going into downtown anywhere from the Conway toll plaza to Dean Road in the mornings, and gridlock from I-4 past the Conway toll plaza in the evenings. Those backups on the older version of 408 caused even more congestion on I-4.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
To summarize: I4 is in a constant state of disrepair, (will likely still be 10 years behind after Ultimate is complete) and that is unacceptable for a metro of its size (add in an extra million or so due to tourism.) whoever is in charge has done a poor job at keeping up.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
To summarize: I4 is in a constant state of disrepair, (will likely still be 10 years behind after Ultimate is complete) and that is unacceptable for a metro of its size (add in an extra million or so due to tourism.) whoever is in charge has done a poor job at keeping up.
Amen!

Old 10-18-2019, 08:46 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
We've been in Florida for almost 47-years, starting in Tampa and then migrating across Florida to Kissimmee/Orlando and then Melbourne/Satellite Beach (and now Destin). We've seen the enormous traffic growth in Florida over the years. There are now over 22-million visitors annually (with almost 350K new residents).

Who knew this traffic problem across the I4 corridor (completed in 1959 versus Disney World opened in 1971) would exist back then. Similarly, major Orlando inner-city/cross city thoroughfares were constructed prior to the huge traffic influx. Orlando did construct two alternative cross city toll roads/highways (the 528 Beeline/Beachline Expressway in 1974, and the East West Expressway in 1973).

Atlanta has a similar dilemma. Trying to go through Atlanta on I75 is even worse than trying to enter/exit I4 in Orlando. There's not much that can be done to expand I4 or I75, thus Orlando (and Atlanta) have tried to keep pace with by-passes and alternative routes.

--- If you think Orlando/I4 traffic is bad, come to Destin and take a look at Hwy 98. The roads here were built for a city of about 30-40K, .... yet, we get about 4.5 million tourists annually!

In short, the traffic problems throughout Florida result from ever-burgeoning tourist traffic on the roads we have, not from inadequate roads. Hopefully, future planners will do a better job of 'planning for the future,' but, that won't fix the traffic gridlock now.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 AM
aax aax started this thread

710 posts, read 497,652 times
If tourists are doing all the bad driving, how come there is still bad driving in areas where tourists don't stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida