Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 2,540 times

Advertisements

So I would like to move to Florida to be closer to some family there that live in South Florida, with that being said I would be coming from Michigan where I currently work in manufacturing/production. I know the economy is based a lot around tourism and the service industry however I have been told I should have some luck checking out either Orlando or Jacksonville. I would just like some input from current Floridians? It would most likely be another year before I move so Im trying to get a jump on it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 12:11 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Jacksonville by a significant margin. Tourism is much less a part of the economy there and is a good bit more balanced in terms of variety of work. The cost of living is noticeably less as well, especially with apartment rental costs.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:34 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Define “manufacturing/production... If it’s CNC or similar, or SMT/boards, you should be able to find that pretty much anywhere.

That said, Jacksonville gets the nod for cheaper rent.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:46 PM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acent View Post
So I would like to move to Florida to be closer to some family there that live in South Florida, with that being said I would be coming from Michigan where I currently work in manufacturing/production. I know the economy is based a lot around tourism and the service industry however I have been told I should have some luck checking out either Orlando or Jacksonville. I would just like some input from current Floridians? It would most likely be another year before I move so Im trying to get a jump on it. Thanks!

You might consider the Defense industry here in Florida. Many good Defense contractors located in Florida.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 2,540 times
Thanks for the responses! I will check out the defense industry as well! Sounds like Jacksonville is winning which is good because I have actually already sent my resume out to a few recruiters in Jacksonville and the outlook is positive, just looking for reassurance Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2019, 05:46 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
There's a lot of new manufacturing jobs in the satellite industry around Cape Canaveral. SpaceX, OneWeb, and Amazon are all starting production on their internet satellite constellations.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
For a state with 20+ million people, manufacturing is small scale niche stuff. Surfboards, hurricane shutters and suntan lotion are our native industries. Jax has a chemical plant. Daytona Beach has a sign company and suntan lotion factory. DeLeon Springs has Spartan which I believe is making a death trap for the marines. There is an aluminum roof material plant on the gulf coast. And PGT makes windows. Orlando has Lockheed-Martian and Ovideo has some military simulation, but these tend not to be large scale production. Likewise the space industry is making one or two at a time.

Florida is not like Michigan and Ohio, nor even Philly, St Louis or NJ. There isn't a lot of heavy industry or manufacturing.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:06 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
For a state with 20+ million people, manufacturing is small scale niche stuff. Surfboards, hurricane shutters and suntan lotion are our native industries. Jax has a chemical plant.
Jacksonville has a whole lot more than that for manufacturing. It also has Johnson & Johnson, Anheuser Busch, BAE Systems, GE Oil and Gas, Medtronic and Northrop Grumman plus more.

https://www.jaxport.com/manufacturin...heast-florida/

Old 10-14-2019, 07:09 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville has a whole lot more than that for manufacturing. It also has Johnson & Johnson, Anheuser Busch, BAE Systems, GE Oil and Gas, Medtronic and Northrop Grumman plus more.

https://www.jaxport.com/manufacturin...heast-florida/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
For a state with 20+ million people, manufacturing is small scale niche stuff. Surfboards, hurricane shutters and suntan lotion are our native industries. Jax has a chemical plant. Daytona Beach has a sign company and suntan lotion factory. DeLeon Springs has Spartan which I believe is making a death trap for the marines. There is an aluminum roof material plant on the gulf coast. And PGT makes windows. Orlando has Lockheed-Martian and Ovideo has some military simulation, but these tend not to be large scale production. Likewise the space industry is making one or two at a time.

Florida is not like Michigan and Ohio, nor even Philly, St Louis or NJ. There isn't a lot of heavy industry or manufacturing.
Not just Jacksonville... Pretty much all regions do. One doesn't have to work for a major company. There are TONS of smaller companies operating all over the place, where one can make a much better living than working for the big guys. Plenty of people I know work for manufacturing firms, and most of them are small companies most have never heard of, but have been in operation for well over 20 years.

Anyone with a CNC or SMT/PCB background should have NO issues finding work anywhere, be it Jacksonville, Orlando, or even Fort Pierce.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 10-14-2019 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-14-2019, 07:35 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Kyle pretty much covered it for Jax, but I'll drop this link as well. The city really has been on an advanced manufacturing focus, with some parts of Cecil Commerce Center even getting developed before having tenants.

I do imagine Orlando area having plenty of opportunities as well though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida