U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2019, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
6,328 posts, read 5,478,597 times
Reputation: 4521

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
This isn't true with respect to restaurants. The Stuart/Palm City/Jensen Beach area have a good variety of upscale restaurants. However, the closest upscale shopping mall would be in Palm Beach Gardens, about 40 minutes away.
Good restaurants, or anything for that matter, doesn't necessarily mean "upscale" it means good. The price of an entree or a product doesn't ensure it's goodness... for goodness sake.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2019, 11:52 AM
 
Location: US
22,348 posts, read 21,189,558 times
Reputation: 17526
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
This isn't true with respect to restaurants. The Stuart/Palm City/Jensen Beach area have a good variety of upscale restaurants. However, the closest upscale shopping mall would be in Palm Beach Gardens, about 40 minutes away.

I disagree, the OP is moving from San Diego. The quality and variety found in Stuart/Palm/Jensen will be far more limited and inferior. Night and day difference. If the OP was moving from like Eureka, then yeah I can see an argument being made, but he is moving from San Diego. Also, just because a restaurant is expensive, doesn't make it good, in fact it's one of the reasons why food scenes suck in many small towns. They have expensive prices for crap food. Some of the best restaurants are little hole in the walls.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
6,328 posts, read 5,478,597 times
Reputation: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Doing some long range planning.

Wife and I will be empty-nesters in 5 years. We currently live in the San Diego area, and of course, like many things about it, but I don't like the direction CA is going, and I doubt our kids will be able to afford to live here after college, so we're thinking about moving to another state.

We would be in our late 40's, so def not looking for any type of "senior living" development.

Must haves:

coastal city
waterfront home w/boat dock
upscale area
good restaurants/entertainment/shopping
proximity to decent airport
prefer a non-liberal/progressive area


I'll be selling my company when we move, so no need to factor in employment options or commute times.

I think the humidity would be the biggest change for us, but we'd probably spend most of the summer somewhere else anyway.


What city/area would you recommend for us? The only cities I've been to in FL are Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. Enjoyed Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks.
Coastal City = Stuart, FL https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/stuart.html
Water front home with dock= many choices depending on budget in Martin county
Upscale area = Sewalls Point https://sewallspoint.org/
Restaurants are an easy search Stuart-Jensen Beach-Palm City-Hutchinson Island
Decent airport = Palm Beach International Airport | West Palm Beach, FL or regional https://www.martin.fl.us/Airport
Non liberal = Martin County is a conservative/republican county
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2019, 03:07 PM
 
183 posts, read 232,850 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I disagree, the OP is moving from San Diego. The quality and variety found in Stuart/Palm/Jensen will be far more limited and inferior. Night and day difference. If the OP was moving from like Eureka, then yeah I can see an argument being made, but he is moving from San Diego. Also, just because a restaurant is expensive, doesn't make it good, in fact it's one of the reasons why food scenes suck in many small towns. They have expensive prices for crap food. Some of the best restaurants are little hole in the walls.
I guess the main point of my comment is that the Stuart area will punch above its weight when it comes to the quality of the restaurant scene. However, you are correct that Martin County is not nearly as large as Palm Beach County or San Diego and will not be able to match the number of restaurants. Stuart is only about 30 miles from the Palm Beach County line, so many of the dining options in Northern Palm Beach County are within a reasonable distance.

The reason I specifically mentioned upscale restaurants is because I think that is typically where you see a real difference between the larger urban areas and the smaller towns. Small towns typically lack amenities at the high end, but as I mentioned I believe Stuart punches above its weight in this regard.

At the end of the day it comes down to your personal preferences. Stuart/Martin County will offer some big city amenities in a smaller less congested community but will not have as many options as the larger towns. The further south you go towards Miami the more options you will have but the trade off will be the issues of living in a more congested area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 12,533,266 times
Reputation: 9235
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I guess the main point of my comment is that the Stuart area will punch above its weight when it comes to the quality of the restaurant scene. However, you are correct that Martin County is not nearly as large as Palm Beach County or San Diego and will not be able to match the number of restaurants. Stuart is only about 30 miles from the Palm Beach County line, so many of the dining options in Northern Palm Beach County are within a reasonable distance.

The reason I specifically mentioned upscale restaurants is because I think that is typically where you see a real difference between the larger urban areas and the smaller towns. Small towns typically lack amenities at the high end, but as I mentioned I believe Stuart punches above its weight in this regard.

At the end of the day it comes down to your personal preferences. Stuart/Martin County will offer some big city amenities in a smaller less congested community but will not have as many options as the larger towns. The further south you go towards Miami the more options you will have but the trade off will be the issues of living in a more congested area.
I lived in San Diego County twice and yes they have a lot of restaurants. But where I live now, Volusia County, there are as many near me as there were in SDC and a 20 minute drive gets me lots more. My wife and haven't even eaten at all the restaurants in our town let alone all those within an easy drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 PM
 
Location: US
22,348 posts, read 21,189,558 times
Reputation: 17526
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I guess the main point of my comment is that the Stuart area will punch above its weight when it comes to the quality of the restaurant scene. However, you are correct that Martin County is not nearly as large as Palm Beach County or San Diego and will not be able to match the number of restaurants. Stuart is only about 30 miles from the Palm Beach County line, so many of the dining options in Northern Palm Beach County are within a reasonable distance.

The reason I specifically mentioned upscale restaurants is because I think that is typically where you see a real difference between the larger urban areas and the smaller towns. Small towns typically lack amenities at the high end, but as I mentioned I believe Stuart punches above its weight in this regard.

At the end of the day it comes down to your personal preferences. Stuart/Martin County will offer some big city amenities in a smaller less congested community but will not have as many options as the larger towns. The further south you go towards Miami the more options you will have but the trade off will be the issues of living in a more congested area.

Oh ok, I understand what you meant now. Generally speaking, like you said the closer you get to Miami, the more congested, however if you don't have to commute to work as in the OP's case... that doesn't apply. My favorite areas in South Florida aren't congested. You'd only deal with it if you had to say commute to Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach for work. Lots of nice communities in South Florida that are very relaxed, small community feeling, but have the tax dollars to really make the community's aesthetics nice. Where as towns like Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach look like a run down trailer park or retirement centers in the form of outdated ugly condos built in the 80s or whatever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2019, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
6,328 posts, read 5,478,597 times
Reputation: 4521
Something for everyone... including trailer parks.

Florida is an opportunity state. Put the time into your education or your craft, and your life will reflect your investment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2020, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,653 posts, read 3,445,802 times
Reputation: 7384
Is this move still in play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Doing some long range planning.

Wife and I will be empty-nesters in 5 years. We currently live in the San Diego area, and of course, like many things about it, but I don't like the direction CA is going, and I doubt our kids will be able to afford to live here after college, so we're thinking about moving to another state.

We would be in our late 40's, so def not looking for any type of "senior living" development.

Must haves:

coastal city
waterfront home w/boat dock
upscale area
good restaurants/entertainment/shopping
proximity to decent airport
prefer a non-liberal/progressive area


I'll be selling my company when we move, so no need to factor in employment options or commute times.

I think the humidity would be the biggest change for us, but we'd probably spend most of the summer somewhere else anyway.


What city/area would you recommend for us? The only cities I've been to in FL are Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. Enjoyed Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2020, 10:48 PM
 
206 posts, read 146,127 times
Reputation: 176
California Natives should leave their socialist failed politics behind if you relocate to Florida. Florida is very different than California. I know because I lived out there for a period of time. Los Angeles, even back then was a horrible place to live. Nobody can pay me enough money to go back to that sh*tty state! Heads up: Native Floridians by and large are hard working decent accepting people so please for heaven sakes don't flaunt your Red Ferrari or Purple Lamborghini or build some 6 story McMansion in a pretty middle class neighborhood with steel bars on every window.

Welcome to Florida

Last edited by LA33301; 04-16-2020 at 10:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2020, 11:10 AM
 
23,026 posts, read 34,286,993 times
Reputation: 22796
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
California Natives should leave their socialist failed politics behind if you relocate to Florida. Florida is very different than California. I know because I lived out there for a period of time. Los Angeles, even back then was a horrible place to live. Nobody can pay me enough money to go back to that sh*tty state! Heads up: Native Floridians by and large are hard working decent accepting people so please for heaven sakes don't flaunt your Red Ferrari or Purple Lamborghini or build some 6 story McMansion in a pretty middle class neighborhood with steel bars on every window.

Welcome to Florida
Warped reality, but okay. California has like the 5th largest economy in the world and though you couldn't hack living there is no reason to called it "failed". Florida is arguably now a poster child for the haves/have nots with very obvious income disparity and one of the worst cases of rent to income disparity. Furthermore in the wake of one of the worst economic times in history Florida has yet to provide unemployment benefits to over 90% of those who are qualified to receive them, has no credible plans for forwarding the stimulus plan benefits to the unemployed via the Cares Act, yet has managed somehow to get out corporate tax refunds this past week to big business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top