U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2020, 03:30 PM
 
23,026 posts, read 34,286,993 times
Reputation: 22796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Agreed with a lot of the things you mentioned. Have you ever lived or been to California for more than a weekend? You discuss Haves vs Have Nots and you say FL is the poster child? Truly one of the most asinine statements you’ve ever made. In much of California, you are either rich, or you are poor and struggling to get by. Homeless communities flood the streets to a disturbing degree in almost every major city.

Your “5th largest economy” statement is extremely misleading. California’s economy per capita would rank it 15th in the world, which still sounds pretty good before you factor in it has the highest housing costs in the nation and the 6th highest taxes in the nation.

Economic output is high, but the financial quality of life for 75% of residents is miserable. Florida has its own crippling issues, but it’s clear that the warped reality is yours. Perhaps you’re the one upset because you can’t hack it in Florida.
Most asinine, really? Summing up California as a state where you're either rich or poor is truly the definition of an asinine comment. What page of the GOP handbook did you pull that from? California is twice the size of Florida in population with four of the ten most expensive cities in the US, of course there's a homeless problem and of course it's far more visible, that's how math works. Furthermore California's homeless problem is 4th behind DC, NY and Hawaii in rates per 100K in population, tied with Oregon which we never hear as being a problematic place because it's more fun to pick on California, right?? Where are you cherry-picking a 75% number of miserable California residents from? Surely there's a link because otherwise that would be another "asinine" statement and part of your warped reality. I'm hacking it just fine in Florida and as a native know how to go about it, minus any visions of grandeur. Florida is not a state to get ahead in one if isn't already well off in the vast majority of cases, but one can survive....albeit with decreasingly smaller opportunity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2020, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,653 posts, read 3,445,802 times
Reputation: 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Yes, but still need to wait until our youngest goes off to college in about 5 years.

Hmmm. My Lamborghini is yellow. Is that ok? I don't do steel bars on windows. I'm not in prison.
I'm a late 50's semi-retired business owner who will be selling his business soon to. Our Son is a Sophomore in College. I'm older than you, so I've travelled this road before. We moved down here from the conservative "Northern Arc" 'burbs of Atlanta...Newt Gingrich Country.

On the West Coast of Florida, anything South of Tampa/St. Pete is too old for you. Don't waste your time. I ended up here (South of Tampa) as a compromise w/ my wife.

On the East coast of FLA, stay out of South Florida (Dade, Broward for sure). Start w/ Boca Raton (liberal a la Debbie Wasserman-Schultz), and work your way North to Jupiter. Look along the Intracoastal Waterway. Delray Beach is where the night life's at. I went to College in Boca Raton, & I'm there often since my best friend from College is still there. My S.I.L. lives in Jupiter, so I'm there 2x/yr too. Several PGA Golf Pro's live in Jupiter, so you know it's nice. Deepwater big game fishing is the lure to the East Coast because its close to the cool deep water of the Gulf Stream.

You might check out Ponte Vedra/Sawgrass area just South of Jacksonville too. Everything in between Jupiter & Ponte Vedra/Sawgrass fails to meet your criteria.

Panhandle is quiet/boring, too far from good airport & Interstate. All flights connecting. We liked Santa Rosa Beach just East of Destin. Great beaches and very low property taxes. Destin is nice, aqua blue waters, but traffic central all Summer long, and there's 1 only east-west road. I'd look here last, or not at all.

Most of St. Pete/Pinellas County is unattractive unless you are Downtown St. Pete, or just North of Downtown, or in parts of Clearwater, or just South of Clearwater Beach. I'd like for you to see Tierra Verde off the Southern tip of St. Pete/Pinellas County. The band ABBA used to have a home there. You'll need a realtor to get in...its all gated. I have a cigar pal who lives there with his boat out back & Black Adventador coupe out front. He sold his company ~10 years ago.

Tampa...most parts are like St. Pete/Pinellas County...junky looking too...Northern burbs are best, but landlocked. There are some very cool townhomes on Harbour Island downtown with boat docks behind them I think you should see. I lived on Harbour Island and found it close to everything Tampa has to offer. Great airport. The nearest grocery store wasnt close back then, not sure about now. Most of Tampa is too far from open Gulf water's though. Most boaters want to be in the Gulf in 30 minutes, or less, so Tampa doesn't fill the bill. Tampa Bay's unattractive backwater.

Check these areas out online, & see what you think. I think along the intracoastal waterway in Delray or just North of Delray in Boynton Beach will be your favorite. You can take your boat to 2 restaurant/bars in Delray along Atlantic Blvd.. There's a Lambo dealer in West Palm Beach ~40 mins away. I'd start your search here, and judge everything else against it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 07:35 PM
 
206 posts, read 146,127 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I have a cigar pal who lives there with his boat out back & Black Adventador coupe out front. He sold his company ~10 years ago.
I suppose your Cigar Pal can't afford the Lamborghini car payments?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...47134618_zpid/

And it's Aventador, not Adventador.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 12:31 AM
 
206 posts, read 146,127 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm a late 50's semi-retired business owner who will be selling his business soon to. Our Son is a Sophomore in College. I'm older than you, so I've travelled this road before. We moved down here from the conservative "Northern Arc" 'burbs of Atlanta...Newt Gingrich Country.

On the West Coast of Florida, anything South of Tampa/St. Pete is too old for you. Don't waste your time. I ended up here (South of Tampa) as a compromise w/ my wife.

On the East coast of FLA, stay out of South Florida (Dade, Broward for sure). Start w/ Boca Raton (liberal a la Debbie Wasserman-Schultz), and work your way North to Jupiter. Look along the Intracoastal Waterway. Delray Beach is where the night life's at. I went to College in Boca Raton, & I'm there often since my best friend from College is still there. My S.I.L. lives in Jupiter, so I'm there 2x/yr too. Several PGA Golf Pro's live in Jupiter, so you know it's nice. Deepwater big game fishing is the lure to the East Coast because its close to the cool deep water of the Gulf Stream.

You might check out Ponte Vedra/Sawgrass area just South of Jacksonville too. Everything in between Jupiter & Ponte Vedra/Sawgrass fails to meet your criteria.

Panhandle is quiet/boring, too far from good airport & Interstate. All flights connecting. We liked Santa Rosa Beach just East of Destin. Great beaches and very low property taxes. Destin is nice, aqua blue waters, but traffic central all Summer long, and there's 1 only east-west road. I'd look here last, or not at all.

Most of St. Pete/Pinellas County is unattractive unless you are Downtown St. Pete, or just North of Downtown, or in parts of Clearwater, or just South of Clearwater Beach. I'd like for you to see Tierra Verde off the Southern tip of St. Pete/Pinellas County. The band ABBA used to have a home there. You'll need a realtor to get in...its all gated. I have a cigar pal who lives there with his boat out back & Black Adventador coupe out front. He sold his company ~10 years ago.

Tampa...most parts are like St. Pete/Pinellas County...junky looking too...Northern burbs are best, but landlocked. There are some very cool townhomes on Harbour Island downtown with boat docks behind them I think you should see. I lived on Harbour Island and found it close to everything Tampa has to offer. Great airport. The nearest grocery store wasnt close back then, not sure about now. Most of Tampa is too far from open Gulf water's though. Most boaters want to be in the Gulf in 30 minutes, or less, so Tampa doesn't fill the bill. Tampa Bay's unattractive backwater.

Check these areas out online, & see what you think. I think along the intracoastal waterway in Delray or just North of Delray in Boynton Beach will be your favorite. You can take your boat to 2 restaurant/bars in Delray along Atlantic Blvd.. There's a Lambo dealer in West Palm Beach ~40 mins away. I'd start your search here, and judge everything else against it.
I must admit this is a very accurate and informative post-well done Sir.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 06:55 AM
 
533 posts, read 224,254 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm a late 50's semi-retired business owner who will be selling his business soon to...
beach43ofus, what's your take on Central FL?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 12:06 PM
 
2,854 posts, read 2,380,138 times
Reputation: 7510
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm a late 50's semi-retired business owner who will be selling his business soon to. Our Son is a Sophomore in College. I'm older than you, so I've travelled this road before. We moved down here from the conservative "Northern Arc" 'burbs of Atlanta...Newt Gingrich Country.

On the West Coast of Florida, anything South of Tampa/St. Pete is too old for you. Don't waste your time. I ended up here (South of Tampa) as a compromise w/ my wife.

On the East coast of FLA, stay out of South Florida (Dade, Broward for sure). Start w/ Boca Raton (liberal a la Debbie Wasserman-Schultz), and work your way North to Jupiter. Look along the Intracoastal Waterway. Delray Beach is where the night life's at. I went to College in Boca Raton, & I'm there often since my best friend from College is still there. My S.I.L. lives in Jupiter, so I'm there 2x/yr too. Several PGA Golf Pro's live in Jupiter, so you know it's nice. Deepwater big game fishing is the lure to the East Coast because its close to the cool deep water of the Gulf Stream.

You might check out Ponte Vedra/Sawgrass area just South of Jacksonville too. Everything in between Jupiter & Ponte Vedra/Sawgrass fails to meet your criteria.

Panhandle is quiet/boring, too far from good airport & Interstate. All flights connecting. We liked Santa Rosa Beach just East of Destin. Great beaches and very low property taxes. Destin is nice, aqua blue waters, but traffic central all Summer long, and there's 1 only east-west road. I'd look here last, or not at all.

Most of St. Pete/Pinellas County is unattractive unless you are Downtown St. Pete, or just North of Downtown, or in parts of Clearwater, or just South of Clearwater Beach. I'd like for you to see Tierra Verde off the Southern tip of St. Pete/Pinellas County. The band ABBA used to have a home there. You'll need a realtor to get in...its all gated. I have a cigar pal who lives there with his boat out back & Black Adventador coupe out front. He sold his company ~10 years ago.

Tampa...most parts are like St. Pete/Pinellas County...junky looking too...Northern burbs are best, but landlocked. There are some very cool townhomes on Harbour Island downtown with boat docks behind them I think you should see. I lived on Harbour Island and found it close to everything Tampa has to offer. Great airport. The nearest grocery store wasnt close back then, not sure about now. Most of Tampa is too far from open Gulf water's though. Most boaters want to be in the Gulf in 30 minutes, or less, so Tampa doesn't fill the bill. Tampa Bay's unattractive backwater.

Check these areas out online, & see what you think. I think along the intracoastal waterway in Delray or just North of Delray in Boynton Beach will be your favorite. You can take your boat to 2 restaurant/bars in Delray along Atlantic Blvd.. There's a Lambo dealer in West Palm Beach ~40 mins away. I'd start your search here, and judge everything else against it.
Wow. Great thoughts. I think you get what I'm going for.

Will research your suggestions. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 12:16 PM
 
749 posts, read 271,913 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Most asinine, really? Summing up California as a state where you're either rich or poor is truly the definition of an asinine comment. What page of the GOP handbook did you pull that from? California is twice the size of Florida in population with four of the ten most expensive cities in the US, of course there's a homeless problem and of course it's far more visible, that's how math works. Furthermore California's homeless problem is 4th behind DC, NY and Hawaii in rates per 100K in population, tied with Oregon which we never hear as being a problematic place because it's more fun to pick on California, right?? Where are you cherry-picking a 75% number of miserable California residents from? Surely there's a link because otherwise that would be another "asinine" statement and part of your warped reality. I'm hacking it just fine in Florida and as a native know how to go about it, minus any visions of grandeur. Florida is not a state to get ahead in one if isn't already well off in the vast majority of cases, but one can survive....albeit with decreasingly smaller opportunity.
So you describe Florida as Haves vs Have Nots, but when I describe California the same way, you suggest it’s asinine? Great argument there. Please do us all a favor and educate yourself on income disparity in California, an absence of the middle class in every large Californian city, and the soaring numbers of homelessness in said cities. In San Jose, San Francisco, and to a milder degree, LA and San Diego, either you’re rich or you’re poor. End of story. I don’t know what else to tell you. If you haven’t lived there, please do not speak on this.

It’s not fun or easy to pick on California; it simply is the truth. Anyone with an IQ above 6 recognizes there’s an absolute homelessness crisis there, and it’s immensely visible, not because California has twice the amount of people as Florida, which is 100% not a credible argument. This homeless issue is not at all as prevalent in other large cities like Houston, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Phoenix, or Boston, hell or even NYC with its 20 million people. But but but math!

California’s homelessness crisis is in your face 24/7, with tent cities sprawled all across San Jose, SF and LA, people shooting up drugs in broad daylight and the police powerless to stop them because of politics, human waste everywhere, and aggressive panhandling on every corner on 5th Ave in LA and Tenderloin in SF. Have you lived in California? If not, then your opinion on this is irrelevant.

Your “that’s how math works” underscores your true ignorance on the topic. DC, and NY might have a high homeless population but many are in shelters and therefore not regarded as “chronically homeless” and on the street. LA, SF, Seattle, San Jose, and to a lesser degree San Diego and Portland have the most individuals sleeping on the street. There simply is not enough money to house most of them, and many of the homeless in SF simply prefer to remain on the street. There have been COUNTLESS exposes, special news stories, documentaries, and personal eyewitness accounts of California’s shocking homelessness. Jesus, how do you not know this? Google is your friend.

I will continue saying this until you understand: if you haven’t lived in California’s largest cities, you truly need to keep your mouth closed because it’s painfully obvious you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited by _Uncommon_; 04-20-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 12:44 PM
 
206 posts, read 146,127 times
Reputation: 176
Kyle19125 -- Have you ever resided or lived in California ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 01:01 PM
 
749 posts, read 271,913 times
Reputation: 1014
Or even visited?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,653 posts, read 3,445,802 times
Reputation: 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
I suppose your Cigar Pal can't afford the Lamborghini car payments?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...47134618_zpid/

And it's Aventador, not Adventador.
No, not his place, but very similar set up. He doesn't have kids or young grandkids, and his Aventador (I'm not a Lambo guy, I prefer Porsche) is Black, w/ dark tinted windows. He has a fishing boat, not a a pleasure craft.

I don't think he'll be running out of money anytime soon. He's smart & conservative w/ his money. His home, Lambo, and Boat don't make a very big dent in his nestegg. He's likely solely living off of Dividends.

This listing does give the OP a nice look at what a nice home on Tierra Verde looks like, so thx for that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top